Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDerek
Last Ditch, a.k.a Banzai Bonsai
    #2402677 - 03/04/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Nutshell: 2 year old spores in 12 failed jars ranging from pf cakes to rye to popcorn. I dumped extra popcorn at the base of a little bonsai tree I had. Apparently nature knows best, and the popcorn completely colonized.

The half cup of popcorn completely colonized, taking with it the life of my bonsai.

What I have now is a small ceramic container with a thin layer of colonized popcorn on top, and a small trunk in the middle (what used to be my beautiful bonsai).

My question is: can I fruit this, all I want is one mushroom so I can make a spore print and propagate. I put it in the fridge last night, and all the mycelium retracted, it now looks velvet-ish. It is now currently in my fruiting chamber.

So, will it fruit? No casing or anything, I just want 1 shroom, not terrific yields.

BTW. I took some grains from there and started a grain to grain transfer, which seems to be colonizing nicely (with what exactly I don?t know. Which is why I want to know if the mycelium I have is even cubensis.)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLoki
fluid druid
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Last Ditch, a.k.a Banzai Bonsai [Re: Derek]
    #2402876 - 03/04/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

We shall have to see :grin:
I hope it does fruit for you,
I also hope the mycelium you see
is infact P cubensis and not
a contamination. Shame about the bonsai :frown:

If not, hit me up, I'll send you a print.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Last Ditch, a.k.a Banzai Bonsai [Re: Loki]
    #2404633 - 03/04/04 11:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeh loki has a point there...how well do you know cubensis mycellium? The biggest giveaway is the color. cube myc is BRILLIANT white. Anything off white, gray, or musty smelling is BAD NEWS!

just by guessing I'd say it isn't cubensis mycellium since it didn't grow in your jars, and (more damningly) it is colonizing a substrate in open air without being covered by competing molds. There are a LOT of molds out there that are much faster and better at competing for resouces than cube myc. This is why we have to start or spawn runs in a sterile jar, so there is no competing fungi/bacteria. Can you get a pic? DO NOT eat it or anything that grows off of it untill you are sure what your growing!

:blueshroom;
SM

--------------------

OfflineDerek
Re: Last Ditch, a.k.a Banzai Bonsai [Re: simplemachine]
    #2424059 - 03/12/04 03:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The myc on the bonsai was very brilliant white and fuzzy. It did have slight cobweb, on one side, but it got the smackdown early on.

Update: I took some samples from the bonsai pot and grain to grain transferred individual grains into small jars filled with sterilized and prepared popcorn.

After a week and a half, I isolated the best looking popcorn jar (zero contams, zero competition ) and spawned it. Now I have around 2 pints of velvety bright white myc in my fridge. I?m trying to cold shock it into pinning.

I?m looking for quick results here, so I?m not even casing, just birthing like a cake. Is this the correct route for what I?m trying to get? (At least one fruit body ASAP to verify what I?m growing, and then a sporeprint).

To be honest, it looks like the real deal, but no telling until I get fruits, and even then I?m probably too much of a puss to eat them.

Possible Conclusion: I?m thinking I was overzealous with my lysol spraying. I hit my syringe-making shotglass with lysol and then let it dry for 20 mins that way; inside my glovebox, killing my spores before they were even in the syringes. Doh!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation