Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

sterilization with irradiation
    #2401430 - 03/04/04 06:23 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

On the mushworld size is an article that describes the benefits of sterilization per irradiation. 60co V radiation source was used for irradiating samples. I do not really know what 60co V radiation is but the results are very encouraging.
The only problem is: Where can I get a cheap and safe source for irradiation ?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: sterilization with irradiation [Re: ragadinks]
    #2401451 - 03/04/04 06:48 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

60co V is a cobalt 60 gamma radiation source.

I don't know where to get it. I tried google search "cheap cobalt 60 radiation source" but didn't find much.  :laugh:

Production of Cobalt-60

WARNING! Do not attempt to produce your own cobalt-60 unless you know what you are doing.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: sterilization with irradiation [Re: zeronio]
    #2401587 - 03/04/04 08:58 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting link ! They say it is used for food irradiation. Does anyone know more about that ?

OfflineQuincunx
Whisper
Male User Gallery

#2401597 - 03/04/04 09:19 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Does anyone know more about that ?

Well. I'm not an expert but i do know something about food preservation. Food irradiation was (and somewhere still is) used for food sterilization/preservation, but it's being rapidly abandoned (it's even forbiden process in some countries) because gamma radiation is not healthy at all (even at low doses). I read that US army used it a lot, but the effects soon became notable so they abandoned the method. Food preserved like this looks good - no need for thermal processes and thus all vitamins and good stuff is preserved... But what good is it if the food emits gamma radiation?

Personaly i prefer more natural and kind methods with both, food and mushroom growing. :wink:

I get dizzy from my old medical UV desinfectant light.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Re: sterilization with irradiation [Re: Quincunx]
    #2401624 - 03/04/04 09:45 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I found this:

Quote:

Q. What is food irradiation?

A. A process where food is exposed to high levels of radiation in order disrupt the DNA of the bacteria so that it cannot reproduce, thus extending shelf life.

Q. How is food irradiated?

A. Pallets of food move into an irradiation chamber. Once inside the chamber, a rack of radioactive byproduct is elevated from a pool of water, bombarding the food with irradiation. Afterward, the irradiated food is moved to a storage area.

Q. Where do they irradiate food?

A. Food irradiation plants are small nuclear facilities usually with walls of concrete six feet thick.

Q. Does food irradiation make food radioactive?

A. Not when it is done correctly.

Q. If food is not made radioactive, then why is it not safe?

A. When food is irradiated the radiation breaks up the molecular structure of the food and creates a whole new set of chemicals known as "unique radiolytic products" (URPs). These URPs include benzene, formaldehyde and a host of known mutagens and carcinogens. Irradiation kills vitamins, friendly bacteria and enzymes, effectively rendering the food "dead" and therefore useless to your body. In addition, some of the friendly bacteria that is killed produces odors indicating spoilage and some friendly bacteria naturally control the growth of harmful bacteria.

Q. Is there a way to test to see if food has been irradiated?

A. Yes. Because the damage done to the food is detectable.

Source: http://www.pure-food.com/food.htm

OfflineQuincunx
Whisper
Male User Gallery

Re: sterilization with irradiation [Re: zeronio]
    #2402278 - 03/04/04 12:57 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Nice FAQ, but the person who conducted it does not seem to understand the irradiation processes correctly. If you look on the main page - you'll see why. http://www.pure-food.com

A professor at food technology dept. at the university gave me the access to their library (she's very kind person) and i think my sources are more on scientific bases.

Quote:

zeronio said:
Q. If food is not made radioactive, then why is it not safe?

A. When food is irradiated the radiation breaks up the molecular structure of the food and creates a whole new set of chemicals known as "unique radiolytic products" (URPs). These URPs include benzene, formaldehyde and a host of known mutagens and carcinogens. Irradiation kills vitamins, friendly bacteria and enzymes, effectively rendering the food "dead" and therefore useless to your body. In addition, some of the friendly bacteria that is killed produces odors indicating spoilage and some friendly bacteria naturally control the growth of harmful bacteria.

It is true that vitamins A, B1, C and E are the most sensitive to irradiation, but only in certain food where vitamins are contained in fats. Thus this food is not subject to irradiation processes used in the west (Kilcast D. et al, Effects of irradiation on vitamins, Food Chem. 49:157-164).

The main concern today is that there are cases of sterility in humans and animals. And sterility is not caused by the absense of vitamins and nutritional stuff in the food and neither with carcinogens present. Gamma radiation causes sterility.

Food standards are very strict in the west. If a food product contains URPs (benzene, formaldehyde, known mutagens and carcinogens) it is impossibile to sell it and such irradiation processes are, again, not used.

Also, food with destroyed vitamins in fats caused by such irradiation process tastes very unpleasant and would not sell.

The irradiation problem of today in the west is not so much about vitamin loss and URP substances, but vice versa: on certain food products the irradiation processes are used for food to preserve more vitamins and other good stuff that would be destroyed otherwise with classic thermal processes. But the cases of sterility (amongs other health problems) become very notable on animals and humans using such food.

And there's also a matter of toxic nuclear waste that is involved in the process.

But i'm not an expert. I just read articles about food preservation in the library. However somehow i have a feeling that mushrooms are not happy if gamma radiation is used when preparing their home.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: sterilization with irradiation [Re: Quincunx]
    #2402555 - 03/04/04 02:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the informative postings.
I think the discussion will only be theoretically any way, since I guess I can not buy a source of irradiation and a room with thick walls to put it in ;(

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2402901 - 03/04/04 03:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You probably can't afford electronic sterilization either, but here it is anyway:

http://www.titan.com/investor/archives/ar99/html/scan.html

--------------------

Invisiblepuggymalone
just looking forlove

Re: sterilization with irradiation [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2404472 - 03/04/04 10:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

hey raga,
  Yup they are talking about a Cobolt-60 iradiation. Basically it is a radiaoactive isotope of the cobolt element. I have one at work, but it is not something you can utilize at home (i.e. here in the U.S. you would have to register your source material with the NRC ((Nuclear Regulatory Commission))). Plus, it is quite a beast of a machine (lot of lead shielding for the operator).
  But if you would like to know how to use it? Well, you have a cylindrical section that is surrounded by several Co-60 sources so that you produce isodose regions within the irradiation zone. Then depending how much irradiation you would like a test sample to recieve, you would place the sample within a certain dose curve (basically describing the rate at which a dose is accumulated) for a given amount of time, and viola'!!
much love from the west side:)
-puggy :rasta:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology