Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAK1000
Stranger
 User Gallery

Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI)
    #24009302 - 01/14/17 09:42 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Currently I do the blenderless LI route but I'm kind of perturbed by the fact that sometimes I run out of water before I'm done inoculating all the jars, or that sometimes some jars/bottles will receive big chunks of agar while others may receive too little or none at all in the worst case scenario.

I'm guessing getting a blender and modifying it will at least make it such that at least the agar is completely pulverized and evenly distributed in the water. But is it worth it? It requires getting a blender and modifying it and I'm not sure if it will make my life easier or harder or the same in the end.

Can anyone experienced with both methods or at least the blender method chime in?

--------------------
-AK

I'm a noob and :heart: this forum. Here's What I've Learned My First FOUR Months.

Best resources: Bods Easy AF List / Ultimate Tek Compendium

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDactylium
Don't touch me I'm sterile

Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: AK1000]
    #24009333 - 01/14/17 09:54 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

It says in the tek that he experienced faster recovery from the blended LI. Just use a little more water. I poured some water from an LI jar that looked totally clear and it colonized fine. We're dealing with microorganisms here, don't forget. It's not important that agar chunks make it in. When you shake microscopic pieces of mycelium are beaten off the agar into the water.

Have you noticed a difference in the rate your jars colonize?

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: AK1000]
    #24009338 - 01/14/17 09:57 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

i havent used a blender but if you are 100% about you cultures you can use a flamed syringe to scrap around the culture then squirt the water onto the it and suck the water back up.

its not as effective has using a blender but trying to shake apart a wedge is impossible for me and i feel some jars dont get enough myc. ive been having drastically different colonizing speeds when i just try to shake it up..

i saw a old blender at goodwill yesterday but i forgot my wallet :facepalm: going back today.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: Dactylium]
    #24009341 - 01/14/17 09:58 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I think it's a hobby in itself to make overly complicated mycology gear

Less than a week to full colonization. Sure this is LC not LI but I'm using a Mason jar not a blender :shrug:

OfflineDactylium

Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #24009365 - 01/14/17 10:06 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I'm with you on team mason jar. I'd rather step on my own nuts than mod a blender.

InvisibleIntelligentxfruit
Earth Hippy

Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #24009366 - 01/14/17 10:06 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I think it's a hobby in itself to make overly complicated mycology gear

Lol so true.

LC all the way forsure

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: Intelligentxfruit]
    #24009394 - 01/14/17 10:17 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

buying a used blender for a few dollars and drilling a hole in a mason jar lid isnt quite
'modding a blender' or anything overly complicated but i get the point of your posts.

OfflineAK1000
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: Intelligentxfruit]
    #24009399 - 01/14/17 10:19 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I've inoculated probably ~100 bottles right now with the blenderless LI tek. On some batches it's a 100% success rate, while other times it's a 80% success rate (due to contamination or no growth) and I feel that's pretty good/normal.

Maybe I should graduate to LC? What do you guys think? I don't have a massive syringe, so I like the fact that I could literally just splash some LI into the jar and move on. Can I do that with LC? Would you guys recommend a good LC tek for beginners? (Last time I did LC was when I first started with this hobby and I *wasn't* using agar back then so I had contamination but haven't gotten back to trying it since.)

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: AK1000] * 1
    #24009551 - 01/14/17 11:12 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I don't do any mods for using a blender. the blender attachment fits perfectly onto a regular mouth mason jar. so no need to cut a whole in a wide mouth, just use a regular mouth with just the blender attachment and jar band. spaghetti jars are perfect for this they are only like 1.5 pints not a full quart and are narrower making them easier to hold while pouring.

you can buy the blender attachments seperately from the entire blender as well. I've found them on the shelves at ACE Hardware before. they are like $25 a piece.

like somebody mentioned earlier, the blended li is a little bit stronger and will colonize faster than the unblended. so its just a matter of choice. do you want to spend $25 for an upgrade? I honestly use both. I typically do 20 jars of grains per session, with 10 blended jars and 10 unblended jars, and that works for me. I've found no need to get another blender attachment, but I do prefer blended if say I was just doing a single batch.

you can also use blenderless jars as backups. I know I've fucked up jars before by dropping the lids or doing something stupid in my sab, so its nice to have backup sterilized jars ready if you fuck up.

OfflineDactylium

Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: Munchauzen]
    #24009697 - 01/14/17 12:25 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Oooh sick dude. I gotta try this now.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: Dactylium]
    #24009853 - 01/14/17 01:48 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Just got back from my local goodwill. got this for 3.99! i love goodwill. always donate when you buy shit:thumbup:

awesome to the max.

OfflineAK1000
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: Munchauzen]
    #24015710 - 01/16/17 07:49 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Munchauzen said:
I don't do any mods for using a blender. the blender attachment fits perfectly onto a regular mouth mason jar. so no need to cut a whole in a wide mouth, just use a regular mouth with just the blender attachment and jar band. spaghetti jars are perfect for this they are only like 1.5 pints not a full quart and are narrower making them easier to hold while pouring.

you can buy the blender attachments seperately from the entire blender as well. I've found them on the shelves at ACE Hardware before. they are like $25 a piece.

Okay so, I'm not too familiar with blender attachments, and didn't really understand how you integrate the blender with the jar without modifying it.

So then I googled "Blender Attachments for Mason Jars" and LOOK AT THIS!

http://www.thekitchn.com/the-mason-jar-blender-trick-do-you-know-about-this-195182

It even has a VIDEO for us!!! Mwahahah! I'm so doing this now. I did not want to drill holes in a lid and silicone it up and all that but THIS, I can totally get behind.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24015714 - 01/16/17 07:51 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

yeah thats all i do. put the blade inside the jar and put the band on. i dont use the blender base. the regular jar band is fine.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #24016429 - 01/17/17 01:35 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

My BLI leaks out sometimes when I'm shaking. Not sure if my lids warped or what, but it's annoying. I broke both my Oster blade gaskets and am buying new ones right now.

Don't buy them from ACE. Buy from Goodman's as they're like $5.

http://www.goodmans.net/i/2588/blender-blade-cutter-for-oster-osterizer-blenders.htm

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: stareatclouds]
    #24016670 - 01/17/17 07:29 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Stare! Long time no see buddy

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #24016790 - 01/17/17 08:49 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

slightly late in my own reply....couldnt find thread :haha:

used blender to make...
this
turn into this..

dumped in these...

so to answer the OP.. yes. it is worht 5bucks at goodwill to get a blender. use a regular
mouth jar. no need to modify anything.

OfflineAK1000
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: mushboy]
    #24016811 - 01/17/17 09:00 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

That looks fucking DANK, mushboy.

Offlinethemadextractor
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24016924 - 01/17/17 09:55 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I always had issues keeping the jar from leaking. I wanted to silicone a band to the blender base but ended up giving up on it. I now use a jar with a pour adapter and a blender ball. Practice helps though I'm sure. Other people had better success with the blender.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: themadextractor]
    #24016956 - 01/17/17 10:05 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

if you have the rubber sealer that came with the blender attachment, how can it leak?
try replacing the sealer:thumbup:

thats the point of OP q's and a couple of answers he got.. you dont have to modify/use silicon on anything.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it worth it to modify a blender to make Liquid Inoculant? (vs blenderless LI) [Re: mushboy]
    #24017126 - 01/17/17 11:23 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

themadextractor said:
I always had issues keeping the jar from leaking. I wanted to silicone a band to the blender base but ended up giving up on it. I now use a jar with a pour adapter and a blender ball. Practice helps though I'm sure. Other people had better success with the blender.

Quote:

mushboy said:
if you have the rubber sealer that came with the blender attachment, how can it leak?
try replacing the sealer:thumbup:

thats the point of OP q's and a couple of answers he got.. you dont have to modify/use silicon on anything.

Ya the attachment should have a rubber gasket to keep it sealed

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag