Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemegalomando
Musician LaLa La La

HEATING THE GROW CHAMBER
    #2400650 - 03/03/04 10:19 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

I have an idea on how to heat a grow chamber in the cooler weather. Take a large 30 gallon "tupperware" container (the inexpensive kind with the dark sides & translucent lid) & then use a thermostat with a remote probe halfway up the side. Have the thermostat control a heating pad underneath the container so as to shut it off when the heat reaches a certain temp. As it cools the thermostat turns back on the heating pad.

I've got a thermostat that uses a remote thermocouple which is accurate to one degree plus or minus from the digital setting. I have a solid state relay which the thermostat activates & that turns on the heating pad so there's no moving parts or noise.

Seems like this ought to do a good job without drying out the interior. It would be sort of like the radiant floor heating some people use instead of convection heating where ductwork blows heated air around which dries things out.

Anyone use anything like this?

How does it work out for you?

--------------------
From The sacred clan of the Indol Ring enters the
Claviceps Purpurea fungi to enlighten all seekers of truth.

Edited by megalomando (03/03/04 11:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMilkVein
unsure
 User Gallery

Loc: total bullshit->
Re: [b]heating the grow chamber[/b] [Re: megalomando]
    #2400775 - 03/03/04 10:54 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

WORKS GREAT...

--------------------
I've been first and last
Look at how the time goes past.
But I'm all alone at last.
Rolling home to you.

InvisibleMilkVein
unsure
 User Gallery

Re: [b]heating the grow chamber[/b] [Re: MilkVein]
    #2400778 - 03/03/04 10:56 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

heating pads have like 3 settings...you find wich one is the the proper one to use...just turn it on low and leave it for couple of hours. and see what you need to adjust

--------------------
I've been first and last
Rolling home to you.

Offlinemegalomando
Musician LaLa La La

Re: HEATING THE GROW CHAMBER [Re: megalomando]
    #2400889 - 03/03/04 11:44 PM (20 years, 29 days ago)

I've been doing a lot of reading here & at Mycotopia trying to get familiar with what's being done today (I grew from the Homestead book company's kit a long time ago). A lot has changed but the principles are the same as always, just easier & more effective...

I read somewhere about heating pads being a bad idea because of drying effects. I can't quite figure that out but since someone mentioned it I thought I'd be better to check & see if my idea was any good. I can't be the first to think of it so I figure the best way to know is to ask.

I'm thinking of getting one of the small ultrasound misters for amphibians and using that in the terarium / tupperware as well for humidity.

I don't want to do it wrong but I'm lazy and would rather have things so I don't have to babysit a grow & let it take care of itself & me just supervise so things go smoothly.

I just can't be around all the time to take care of heat & humidity. Sometimes I'm gone for days at a time.

--------------------

InvisibleMilkVein
unsure
 User Gallery

Re: HEATING THE GROW CHAMBER [Re: megalomando]
    #2401050 - 03/04/04 12:51 AM (20 years, 29 days ago)

i think the heating pad will dry out the jars if you use it for incubation. i think it will be fine with a layer of perlite and and an inch of water between it.

--------------------
I've been first and last
Rolling home to you.

Offlinemegalomando
Musician LaLa La La

Re: HEATING THE GROW CHAMBER [Re: MilkVein]
    #2401089 - 03/04/04 01:03 AM (20 years, 29 days ago)

Hmmmmmmm... like right now the grow area is like 55 or so. It needs to be warmer to incubate so my goal is how to do that without drying anything. I'd think if I have the container humidified to start off with and then leave the heat set on the thermostat to make it say... 75 degrees, it wouldn't get too dry, it wouldn't be hot air blowing on it to dry it out.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds