Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKosher
Healthy Specimen

Loc: Northeastern US
Best mycoremediation and mycofiltration posts
    #23994791 - 01/09/17 12:33 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Was wondering if anybody has a collection of stickied posts related to mycoremediation and mycofiltration that they could share.

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about these concepts and other potential landscape applications, but am having a difficult time separating the wheat from the chaff using the search function on this site.

I'd also love any recommendations for other resources. I've already read Mycelium Running.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best mycoremediation and mycofiltration posts [Re: Kosher]
    #23994916 - 01/09/17 01:22 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

most of the actual scientific research into mycoremediation is about treating industrial waste from the agro-forestry industry.  Mostly solid and liquid wastes from food factories and paper mills.  the rest as you said (including mycelium running IMO) is chaff.  anecdotal at best.  I know 2 people that have done actual plate counts and neither of them concurred with Stamets' findings.  one found the opposite in fact.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlinecatnip40
xฬ็ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞฬ็
Male User Gallery

Loc: ฬ็ﱞﱞ0ฬ็ﱞﱞ
Re: Best mycoremediation and mycofiltration posts [Re: drake89]
    #23994940 - 01/09/17 01:38 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

:takingnotes:

Onlinebodhisatta
(Click This)
 User Gallery

#23995613 - 01/09/17 05:58 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

Quote:

drake89 said:
most of the actual scientific research into mycoremediation is about treating industrial waste from the agro-forestry industry.  Mostly solid and liquid wastes from food factories and paper mills.  the rest as you said (including mycelium running IMO) is chaff.  anecdotal at best.  I know 2 people that have done actual plate counts and neither of them concurred with Stamets' findings.  one found the opposite in fact.

Staments I hate to say it but is a fraud in my book. Not an idiot but a fraud

OfflineKosher
Healthy Specimen

Loc: Northeastern US
Re: Best mycoremediation and mycofiltration posts [Re: bodhisatta]
    #23999556 - 01/10/17 11:20 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

How about for treating agricultural waste? Like phosphates and nitrogen loads?

Invisibleazur
God of Fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Daid
    #24013368 - 01/16/17 12:40 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

drake89 said:

But you don't have a book....

--------------------

A cube is NOT a cube.

FALL IN LOVE WITH LC
FOTTSE!!!
ALL NOOBS READ THIS!!!

OfflinePsilocopher
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

#24038261 - 01/25/17 12:16 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

drake89 said:

In what way is he a fraud? Just curious to know what a more experienced grower thinks about this.

BTW Thank you for being part of teaching me how to grow mushrooms, bodhisatta. :thumbup:

--------------------

Onlinebodhisatta
(Click This)
 User Gallery

Re: Best mycoremediation and mycofiltration posts [Re: Psilocopher]
    #24046235 - 01/28/17 01:10 PM (29 days, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

Psilocopher said:
Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

drake89 said:

In what way is he a fraud? Just curious to know what a more experienced grower thinks about this.

BTW Thank you for being part of teaching me how to grow mushrooms, bodhisatta. :thumbup:

he's a great cultivator, can't argue that

but
he always goes saying things like mushrooms can cure cancer, the flu,
he said he cured his grandma but there's no medical proof or journal articles

there may very well be healing properties in mushrooms but paul just goes mushrooms heal xyz we just have to find the magic in them.... I know it's there....

he's a hype man to sell his product, and at that he sells shit like spent blocks of mycelum as supplements rather than fruit body extracts. but he has no proof that he tested the mycelium to see if the concentration of the "active ingredients' were even there.

he operates on theory and no science. he can grow some mushrooms but :shrug: fuck his claims until they're proven or even remotely pointing at compelling results I'll remain skeptical

for being a mycologist he is terrible at the science part of it from taxonomy to genetics. he is a cultivator more than a mycologist. let alone a scientist which he is far from.

there's actually people doing real research into bioremediation with fungi for plastics, oils, radiation, metals, etc... you name it. but paul himself is just riding on the coattails of that movement. he contributed nothing other than repeating things that he hears others have done the hard work behind. even then he makes up more shit and operates on conjecture overstating the efficacy of these things saying that mushrooms do this amazing job of bio-remediation even though it's a science in it's infancy. fucker doesn't even do a good job researching the things he tries to speak as an expert on.

OfflineDeadManTrips
-

#24055171 - 01/31/17 07:19 PM (26 days, 17 hours ago)

Some interesting points. But I think that regardless of whether you think he does science "properly" or not, he is an incredible ambassador for the power of mushrooms! At the very least, he is bridging the gap between scientific inquiry into the potential of fungi and the public. Call him a fraud if you wantl, but you can't detract from what he has done to raise awareness.

Also, can anyone recommend fairly recent (last 5 years) books or papers relating to mycorestoration or the use of fungi as an biotechnology?

--------------------
Striving to become more aware through the exploration of mind, consciousness and soul.

"In short, we traded our birth right as partners in the drama of the living mind of the planet for the broken pot shards of history, warfare, necrosis and - if we do not quickly awaken to our predicament - planetary catastrophe"

Onlinebodhisatta
(Click This)
 User Gallery

Re: Best mycoremediation and mycofiltration posts [Re: DeadManTrips]
    #24055175 - 01/31/17 07:22 PM (26 days, 17 hours ago)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=fungi+bioremediation

if you find an article that is behind a paywall PM me and I'm sure I can get you a copy free

OfflineDeadManTrips
-

#24055203 - 01/31/17 07:33 PM (26 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=fungi+bioremediation

if you find an article that is behind a paywall PM me and I'm sure I can get you a copy free

Thanks bodhisatta! PMed!

--------------------
Striving to become more aware through the exploration of mind, consciousness and soul.

"In short, we traded our birth right as partners in the drama of the living mind of the planet for the broken pot shards of history, warfare, necrosis and - if we do not quickly awaken to our predicament - planetary catastrophe"

Onlinebodhisatta
(Click This)
 User Gallery

#24056778 - 02/01/17 11:57 AM (26 days, 28 minutes ago)

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24056770

if any one is down we could start some sort of journal article club. I could host it in my journal. Most people will have a hard time reading and deciphering some of the things in academic research. If people like myself and other people trained in the sciences are part of the club than it can be put into layman's terms for anyone.

Edited by bodhisatta (02/01/17 12:09 PM)

Offlinecatnip40
xฬ็ﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞﱞฬ็
Male User Gallery

Loc: ฬ็ﱞﱞ0ฬ็ﱞﱞ
    #24057242 - 02/01/17 02:56 PM (25 days, 21 hours ago)

sci-hub.cc unlocks research papers ect as well

:mushroom:

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #24059444 - 02/02/17 09:22 AM (25 days, 3 hours ago)

Hands down ecovative.  It's stupidly simple, too.  Maybe not mycorestoration, because that's not actually a thing.

Quote:

DeadManTrips said:
Some interesting points. But I think that regardless of whether you think he does science "properly" or not, he is an incredible ambassador for the power of mushrooms! At the very least, he is bridging the gap between scientific inquiry into the potential of fungi and the public. Call him a fraud if you wantl, but you can't detract from what he has done to raise awareness.

Also, can anyone recommend fairly recent (last 5 years) books or papers relating to mycorestoration or the use of fungi as an biotechnology?

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#24078826 - 02/10/17 03:57 AM (17 days, 8 hours ago)

Mycoremediation barely works, most times I think it is better to save the time and energy and let nature do the remediation.    Particularly with regards to mycofiltration, eating oil and heavy metal removal.  If you do nothing at all, natural bacteria and fungi in the environment will do the remediation - so maybe just mix in some substrate, turn the soil and let nature do the rest.

Regarding mycofiltration, doesn't really work and even if it did, wouldn't take long for the mycelium to go anarobic and die.  One idea I heard is to just dump a truck load of wood chips in the stream, and let nature do the rest.  At least that way you are not wasting energy making spawn.  No idea if this works at all.

You can eat oil with oyster mushrooms, but it has to be at really low concentrations, and you probably burn more oil than you eat making the spawn.  Natural bacterias eat oil too and they are everywhere.

Regarding Paul, he is a great salesman and ambassador, and he has gotten a lot of people into mushrooms.    For that he deserves to be held in high regard.  He is pretty cool in person.  I do think he probably oversells his products, and that medicinal mushrooms shouldn't be sold as medicine until they are proven to work.  Turkey tails have been proven to work (but not very much), and the rest of them are pretty much untested in large clinical trials.    Mushrooms do make excellent placebos.

If you ask professional mycologists about Stamets or mycoremediation or medicinal mushrooms, they typically change the subject pretty quick, if they are feeling polite.

There are a ton of people doing mycoremediation trials, but almost no one scaling it up to solve real world problems.  Every idealistic first year college mycology student wants to save the world with mushrooms, but by the time they get a PhD they are thinking very differently.

Tradd Cotter and Peter Mccoy are doing a lot of work with mycoremediation, but I notice that they are mostly making their money writing books and giving workshops/lectures rather than actually doing it.    But they probably answer their emails and would be excellent people to talk to about details and new ideas.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology