Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK]
    #23985757 - 01/06/17 03:43 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38223838/is-your-postman-delivering-drugs

Quote:

Large amounts of illegal drugs are being delivered unknowingly by UK postal workers with few checks, Radio 1 Newsbeat has found.

For several months we have been investigating drugs in the post bought on the dark web.

We heard that "millions of pounds of drugs are bought online every day" via the hidden layer of the internet where dealers can sell drugs anonymously.

Royal Mail said it does not knowingly carry any illegal items in its network.

Newsbeat spoke to delivery staff who said they had "definitely handled suspect packages" but there was "nothing they could do".

Packages sent from dark web drug suppliers to our reporter

There are fears that users buying drugs this way are more likely to widen their substance choices, with dangerous consequences.

And users we spoke to believe there's a "99% certainty" that drugs ordered via the dark web will get to them.

The Home Office says it is spending £1.9m trying to "increase understanding" in how organised crime networks "adapt and diversify" using technology.

Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee, and Labour MP, Yvette Cooper is looking at how the police can "keep up with new and changing forms of crime".

"We need to know there's a proper approach to enforcement taking place," she tells Newsbeat.

"One of the things we want to know is how the police are able to co-operate with different organisations.

"What is happening to link up [the police] with postal services or with customs or with other organisations? What's the government doing to lead this?"

How we tested the system

Newsbeat obtained MDMA, cannabis and former legal high, Spice using Bitcoin on the "dark web", a collection of thousands of websites that use anonymity tools to hide their IP address.

This part of the internet also contains a marketplace for drugs like heroin and steroids - as well as weapons and fraudulent documents.

We accessed the dark web via the Tor browser, free software which conceals users' identities and their online activity from surveillance.

Deliveries to a PO Box took around a week to arrive.

When they did, we gave them to a government-approved lab for testing and destruction.

An ecstasy pill we bought on the dark web arrived wrapped inside a packet of Haribo sweets

"Unless there are massive raids on markets any time soon" causing "a loss of consumer confidence", this "hidden" drug market will keep growing, says Chris Monteiro, an independent cybersecurity expert and researcher.

The pill was packed inside cling film to make it feel soft

"Talk of better prices and improved purity will continue to spread and eat away at the offline market," he explains.

And he adds: "Government and police are more interested in data breaches and weapons [than drugs]."

But there is no guarantee of what you are really buying on the dark web

Waiting for a special delivery

Former user "Steve" tells Newsbeat he bought marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, and psychedelic stimulants on the dark web.

He describes a time he and a friend ordered drugs to take to a festival.

"We were waiting for a package, for an ounce of MDMA to be delivered.

"We see the postie drive down and we get very excited. She gives me the package, I sign for it... happy doo-dah.

"Me and my friend found it incredibly funny how she gave us the post - and had no idea.

"She handed it over and said 'thank you very much' and I saidthank you very much.

"She had no idea she was a part of the drugs trade."

What "Steve" did was illegal and could have resulted in a jail term for possession of drugs with intent to supply.

What post workers told us

We went out with a postman who wanted to remain anonymous.

"Patrick" told us that it's illegal for him to open suspect parcels and there's "nothing he can do about it".

"You tell the managers and all they say is you need to deliver it."

He added: "If it's got a stamp on it, you post it. We don't have drug dogs to smell every parcel. We don't have the resources to X-ray every parcel. We just have to deliver it and take the risk.

"Our job is to deliver it safely to the customer."

Newsbeat has been told that some random spot-checks do occur but most staff we spoke to had never seen a sniffer dog.

"I've spent 14 years as a postman in uniform and I have never seen a drug dog," one worker at a London depot said.

Another said: "You hear rattling of things like pills and assume they're legitimate, but how would we know?"

"I've definitely handled suspect post, but once we have it in our mail bag we have to deliver it," said another.

On a forum used by postal workers we heard from a number of people who all noted that they had handled packages which had smelled of cannabis.

Many described there being more checks in the past when the depot had a customs office on site. Mail being sent within the UK does not seem to undergo the same scrutiny.

Are people trying new drugs because of the dark web?

Yes, according to data from the Global Drug Survey [GDS].

"About a third of people said they'd broaden their drug-using repertoire," says Dr Adam Winstock, from Kings College and GDS, who also says "millions of pounds of drugs are bought online every day".

"So it's like 'we've noticed you like LSD and magic mushrooms, perhaps you'd be interested in 2CB or DMT'...

"I think there is absolutely that effect," he tells Newsbeat.

"You're always worried that an increase in repertoire increases the likelihood that someone comes across something that might be harmful."

One in five people who responded to the 2016 Global Drug Survey said they had bought drugs on the dark web - or had friends buy them for them.

Are any countries tackling drugs in the post?

In New Zealand more has been done to stop drugs in the post.

"New Zealand is an anomaly in that only 2% of those who took our survey said they'd bought drugs on the dark net," says Dr Winstock.

"The reason people don't go shopping on the dark net in New Zealand is because there's really good co-operation between the police and the postal services and their borders are unbelievably good."

This more joined up approach has led to New Zealand's customs service seizing three times as many suspect packages over the past two years.

We bought an ecstasy pill on the dark web for £5 plus £3 postage. Tests found the pill's only active ingredient was MDMA

What British authorities say they are doing

In a statement, the Home Office told Newsbeat: "We have committed to spending £1.9bn on cybersecurity over the next five years, including boosting the capabilities of the National Crime Agency's National Cyber Crime Unit, increasing their ability to investigate the most serious cyber crime."

A Royal Mail spokesman said: "Where Royal Mail has any suspicion that illegal items are being sent through our system, we work closely with the police and other authorities including the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency to assist their investigations and to prevent such activities from happening."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMikeTesserect
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #23985961 - 01/06/17 08:21 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Cops always have to shit on the parade!

Offlinecorneliushatt
Newcomer
Male

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: MikeTesserect]
    #23986424 - 01/06/17 12:21 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Tired of it being flipped the other way around it's safer this way not more dangerous because people will try more things.  Notice how this article doesn't mention the feedback system or any of the checks and balances that the industry puts itself through.  All without any Regulatory Agencies behind them.  People are not ready to start saying that the war on drugs is being lost to the drug users.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: corneliushatt]
    #23986755 - 01/06/17 02:56 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

There are fears that users buying drugs this way are more likely to widen their substance choices, with dangerous consequences.

Yeah like having quality options instead of buying whatever they can find on the streets...

Such backwards logic, they really need to give up on prohibition and start working on helpful regulations instead.

I really hope I live to see the day the drug war ends for good.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: musiclover420]
    #23987282 - 01/06/17 05:53 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

It will more than likeley end up with the total elimination of drugs from mainstream culture besides the most dangerous ones anyway it's been almost 100 years since drugs were a part of culture, now it's seen as terrorism. The freedom fighters today are the terrorist tommarow and vice versa, they already played their part telling people extacy was meth and vice versa in lab trials, so basically everyone who has had a drug class in school now thinks mdma and meth are the same thing

Edited by Konyap (01/06/17 05:54 PM)

Invisiblenice1returns
I am the Holy Shit
 User Gallery

Loc: miwuaki Flag
Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: Konyap]
    #23988696 - 01/07/17 07:33 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Lol fuck you government

Its time you let go of this shit

Suck my big fuckin dick assholes

If they start finding packages then they will up the security even more, people can ship pure cocaine as a fucking apple ipod if they want so you can't ever stop it, just wake up to the fact you've been had and drugs ARE NOT BAD.

Its time for global legalisation and release all drug "criminals" from jail and arrest the real criminals who are ROBBING the poor with their political legal bullshit

FUCK YOU PIGS

The only thing thats "bad" is these assholes dictating to us, lying every fucking day, creating laws so that they can PARASITE off of the public.  WE KNOW.  WE ARE COMING FOR YOU.  Your illusion of power is collapsing beneath you.

We don't need no thought control pigs

Edited by nice1returns (01/07/17 08:14 AM)

OfflineMikeTesserect
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: corneliushatt]
    #23990633 - 01/07/17 07:38 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

This could be moving forward. I would probably trust these people more than a street dealer.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
    #23990859 - 01/07/17 08:41 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Its funny over in chicago for like the 5th or 6th time in the past 2 weeks a mail truck has been stolen. Ups, usps, fedex and amazon trucks have all been stolen. Taken at gunpoint.

I often wonder what was scored in the boosts. You know there has to be all kinds of things in those mail trucks.

I wouldnt be suprised if on any given truck youd find quite a few packages with drugs.  Open up a package and boom you find a pound of quality medical herb, in another coke, heroin or pills. Id bet the ghetto blacks that steal these trucks know this all too well.

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

Yeah like having quality options instead of buying whatever they can find on the streets...

Such backwards logic, they really need to give up on prohibition and start working on helpful regulations instead.

I really hope I live to see the day the drug war ends for good.

I think the idea is that with all these drug options, people wont be able to help themselves. Like a kid in a candy shop left to run amok and eat til he's sick.

And to some extent its true. And i hate to use a "think of the children argument" but fact is there are certain people (not only children) that shouldnt have access to certain dangerous drugs.

But there is also the point that people will have access to better quality/purity drugs and other safer options. You have problems with heroin and crack in cities, those are drugs of opportunity. They're whats around, so theyre what people do.

Certainly with access to an array of pure drugs, people could choose potentially much less dangerous options.

Its not by any means a simple and easily solved issue. Complete prohibition doesn't seem to be the answer but neither does legalizing all drugs.

Invisibleenlightened seed
Utopia is a state of mind
Male User Gallery

Loc: amongst civilization
Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #23991315 - 01/07/17 11:35 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

a lot of people would lose their jobs if there were not a war on drugs :wink:

and FYI i do not support the war on drugs.  i just think there is much more to it than a majority of people would like to think.

Edited by enlightened seed (01/07/17 11:42 PM)

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #23991518 - 01/08/17 02:14 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

People who really want drugs will generally go out of their way to find them so even without a "candy store" of drugs available to pick from people will still try and find connections and get offered different things.

Kids put themselves in dangerous situations trying to get drugs in many cases. If they are smart enough to figure out the online markets maybe they are ready to at least try certain substances. I imagine most kids can't figure it out.

Legalizing all drugs is a start of an answer at least, the real key is effective and fair regulations.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #23991535 - 01/08/17 02:38 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I'm sure the majority wouldn't say anything but the naysayers make it their livelyhood to harass people about it lol

Offlinethe_way
political prisoner
 User Gallery

Re: Is your postman delivering drugs? [UK] [Re: Konyap]
    #23991649 - 01/08/17 05:41 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

"a lot of people would lose their jobs if there were not a war on drugs :wink:"

nothing in comparison to all of the people who have lost their jobs because of your stupid religion's war on choice

--------------------
They were dead before the ship sank!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale