Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinestara
addict

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: filthysock]
    #2403010 - 03/04/04 02:08 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

And I healed myself by eating mushrooms everyday.I used to be an opium addict and now I only take it for amusement.Mushrooms gave me the mood for living the real life like boring things you have to do .(waitin the busses and reading books for your school that you normally don't enjoy)and now I can do these even without mushrooms because I learned the trick :wink:did you?You seem so :thumbup:but  talkin is always more easier than doin,right if to be honest....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2403662 - 03/04/04 05:06 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

I was a hellraiser in my youth. I was one of these kids who didn't follow the rules, do myhomework, clean my room. I was emotionally very immature.

Then I found drugs. I turned into one of these left-wing, green party, environmental freaks. I also matured the day I tried mushrooms.

I believe that it is because of psychedelics that I ever had some of the thoughts that i did (which I consider "deep.") It is because of drugs that I started thinking about my place in the universe. About philosophy.

Before I touched drugs, i was a straight edger. I was against "smoking" in any form. I was totally wraped up in my own insignificant daily worries. I was an atheist.

THen I found drugs. Now I believe I have entered into a relationship with something greater than myself (perhaps, this is all very complicated.) I have spiritual beliefs, and philosophical ideas that didn't exist in my world before I added psilocybing to my bloodstream. Putting something into your body is a communion.

I have been building my relationships with people in drastically different ways, now that I have drastically diferent views. Taking drugs doesn't make a person "worse," it just makes them different. And being different has often been a far greater crime, in our world, than being worse.

Hell, if someone is worse off because they are crippled, they get all sorts of help. But if someone is different because they just bought a dimebag, they get thrown in jail, anal fissures and hepatitis.

I believe that it is emotionally immature to rag on drugs and drug users. THis whole prohibition of psychedelics is stunting our cultural growth. This is the Dark Ages of mental exploration.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2403951 - 03/04/04 06:42 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

It's not perfectly cool, and there are fools, but if we keep our heads down, our eyes open and our mouths shut we will be allowed to open our minds with pretty much impunity. We won't be president but we can be us. And did we really want to be president anyway?

--------------------

Invisiblemoeshroom
golden student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #2404168 - 03/04/04 07:40 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

The process of overcoming addiction is itself, with some people and certain drugs, a huge step forward in maturity. I know an individual who was particularly reckless with pot, alcohol, K, opium, speed, and shrooms, failing college, and pretty much stunted as far as maturity goes until he developed and turned around a heavy coke addiction. He had to up and leave his old self behind, decide to pay back rather than flee from enormous debts, face his growing family problems, and give up everything but nicotine.

I think w/o the coke problem he would still be treading water as far as his school and relationships went. Now, 8 months clean, he's gone through rehab, 1/2- and 3/4-way houses and back in college. Failing is not an option for him any longer. He's realized he's already wasted as much of his life as he can afford to and is dedicated to success, despite the proposition of a very, very long period of utter sobriety ahead of him. Through his addiction and recovery, he's learned a lot about himself and matured a great deal.

--------------------

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
    #2404192 - 03/04/04 07:45 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

Like many have said, if you are using drugs to escape emotional problems, then yes they will interfere with your emotional development. But if you are a responsible person that uses drugs just for enjoyment and not for a way of escaping, then you will be fine.

Just as a note, i know a guy that is responsible as hell, got 4.5's his whole highschool career, and smoked pot almost everyday. But he was smoking it for enjoyment, not as escaping. Its completely up to the person.

Some people feal like they want to smoke pot, and some people feal like they have no choice. When you seem to have no choice, then you can consider yourself and addict. But there are alot less adicts than the system trys to define.

The psychology teacher is correct, but he is judging the people because some may be using pot to numb themselfs and escape problems, and some may be responsible and using it because of the simple fact that they like it.

Edited by psikooz (03/04/04 07:53 PM)

Offlinejono
misc.
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2404207 - 03/04/04 07:49 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

I went through a phase, when I first started university, from the age of 18 til about 19 1 / 2, when I smoked pot nearly every day, went to raves and did ecstasy once every month or so, and dabbled in a variety of other drugs. But If anything I wasnt aware of myself, and talking in terms of maturity, not very 'mature. But it was my first experience with LSD that gave me the preverbial 'kick in the mind' that woke me up. I was the never the same afterwards, and I never will be the same. It started me down a long process of 'maturity' or growing in awareness of myself, of life and the world. It spawned an ever increasing interest in meditation, buddhism and spirituality, made me an all round more intelligent, focused, and better person etc. Its like my life only really began after I took LSD, and the fog that had been clouding my eyes for all the previous years was blown away.

With Metta,
Jono.

--------------------
Our problem results from acting like cowboys on a limitless frontier when in truth we inhabit a living spaceship with a finely balanced life-support system." David C. Korton

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: jono]
    #2404215 - 03/04/04 07:50 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

I think I may print this thread and give it to her.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #2404293 - 03/04/04 08:11 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

I find that my intense periods of substance abuse have helped to hasten the onset of senile dementia, so I've really matured rather quickly.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: Autonomous]
    #2404304 - 03/04/04 08:13 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

:lol:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #2404388 - 03/04/04 08:35 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

the argument against pot relies very heavily on the myth of the 'amotivation syndrome'. the basic reasoning was that many people who smoked pot regularly later ended up depressed, lazy, etc. Therefore, in defiance of all scientific procedure, it was concluded that pot leads to lazyness. a=b. and because it happend to somepeople it WILL happen to you.

to me it is obvious that this whole concept is bullshit. First of all, just because someone smokes pot and also happens to be slobbish, lazy or amotivated, that does NOT signify a cause and effect relationship, even if pot smokeage and depression seem to increase proportionally. That is the depression could be caused by a totally diffrent factor, and result in smoking more weed as a coping mechanism.

For myself i see thousands of deadbeat, braindead slobs and losers all around me, and i would definetly not say that the majority of them are potheads. People dont need to smoke drugs to be immature or lazy. Someone already mentioned that TV is a million times more harmfull to your mind than maryjane. Sit down, plug in and let your mind be saturated with a mix of lowbrow comedy, sexual themes, violence and commercial advertisments. If you do this 4 hours a day your a responsible citizen.

If you alter your mindstate by blazing weed, your a danger to society. I mean for gods sakes these people go and see people sitting in front of a tv all day smoking pot and say 'wow look how bad pot is"! stupid

for myself, when i was young i had lots of issues, In my preteen years i had huge problems with stress and anxiety. I was insecure about my body and never participated in sports. I gave up on everything i started and never finished a task. I had no passions and no ambitions. Since ive started smoking pot i have grown immensly, physically and emotionally. My body is a source of pride, i finally have the 6 pac and pecs i always wanted, im finding my interests in psychology, philosophy, spirituality, travel , expanding my horizons in every conceivable way.

Ive taken a keen interest in martial arts and achieved a lot of things in judo. Won medals. Out of province tournaments. I am confident. I have good relationships. My marks are awesome. Girls love me

Do i say that because all these things happend to me after i started smoking pot, pot caused those things? hell no! its just one tiny peice of a much larger puzzle.

So why the hell would you use this same logic for the reverse postition that because someones life got fucked up after getting a drug habit the drug habit is to blame?

The factors that are more important are upbringing, peer support, parental love, genetics, personality etc.

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2404485 - 03/04/04 08:56 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

Yes i to believe that the amotivational syndrome is just the result of a person that is not motivated to do anything before using pot, then he finds that pot makes it easier to not do anything. I know lots of people that smoke pot and hold steady jobs while attending school and playing sports.

Im going to get a PHD is psychology, im going to change the whole way things are looked at. Thanks mr. leary, you were the pioneer.

Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
    #2404538 - 03/04/04 09:13 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

I would say, depending on the drug, yes it is possible to mature emotionally.

But ketamine for example, the prolonged and constant use of it can stunt your maturity.  I know a few people who do obscene amounts of K and they act almost childlike. :sad:

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: sykobish]
    #2404553 - 03/04/04 09:16 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

I know a guy who did that drug 3 times and got very racist and hateful...

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
    #2404588 - 03/04/04 09:23 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

:frown: That sucks.  Depending on the person, drugs affect us all differently.  Some people have addictive personalities, some people don't.  Each persons chemical make-up is different which is one reason why drugs affect certain people in certain ways.

For example, I can't smoke weed.  When I do, my anxiety goes thru the roof and it's a horrible feeling for me.

Something to consider:  Look at a doctors work.  They hand out prescription drugs and tell us the 'general' idea of what they will do.  How can they be sure exactly how each person will respond to it?  Sure, they can have a general idea, but they can never without a doubt know how a person's body will react to it until they try it.  Why is their work called a 'Practice'? Cuz that is exactly what they do.

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder