Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGlasskannon
I play WoW!! lol

Rehydrating perlite
    #7231908 - 07/27/07 08:35 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hey guys. I am currently fruiting 5 cakes and some of them are still in the process of there pins growing into full fruit bodys... but my perlite is starting to dry. its been in there for about 3 weeks now.

Is is ok to pull the cakes out and run water through my perlite and lets it drain out of the holes i have in the bottom of my FC to rehydrate it? Humidty is starting to drop down into the low low 90's and i want to get it back up around 95 to be on the safe side

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Rehydrating perlite [Re: Glasskannon]
    #7231960 - 07/27/07 08:52 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I would just take out the perlite rinse it and drain then put it back.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rehydrating perlite [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7232106 - 07/27/07 09:37 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

you could just take the perlite out and rinse it like xax said. the cakes will be fine just standing outside while you do it, it only takes about 15 minutes.

--------------------

OfflineGlasskannon
I play WoW!! lol

Re: Rehydrating perlite [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #7232202 - 07/27/07 10:14 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

thanks guys.

Offlineshroom1957
backatit
Male

#7232212 - 07/27/07 10:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Why has the perlite been in there for three weeks?
Hopefully not for flushing this series of 5 cakes cause that's way too long!
What they said will work fine but I'd add a little H2O2 to the water when you put the perlite back in.

--------------------
Reality is just a way of looking at things that you were taught before you were old enough to know any better! -me

For me the world is weird because it is stupendous,awesome,mysterious,unfathomable;my interest has been to convince you that you must assume responsibility for being here, in this marvelous world,in this marvelous desert,in this marvelous time. I wanted to convince you that you must learn to make every act count, since you are going to be here for only a short while;in fact,too short for witnessing all the marvels of it.
-Don Juan

OfflineGlasskannon
I play WoW!! lol

Re: Rehydrating perlite [Re: shroom1957]
    #7232219 - 07/27/07 10:26 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

i am not adding h202 to my water. several of RR's post regarding it specifically say you should not use it unless you are trying to control a contam. non of my cakes are contaminated. heres a post regarding what he says (and hyphae) about it.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6055987#6055987

as for the length.. this is my first grow. i havnt mastered the technique yet. i have flushed them a couple of times and redunked 2 of them so far and they are still fruiting so there is no reason to stop them from doing what they are doing.

OfflineGlasskannon
I play WoW!! lol

#7232221 - 07/27/07 10:28 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

btw i know that you are referring to just putting it in my perlite and not misting my FC with it but i just want to keep that crap completelyo ut of my setup unless i really need it.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7232490 - 07/28/07 12:06 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I think you're right on for wanting to keep H2O2 away from your healthy mycelium but if you're removing the perlite anyways you should take some type of step to kill any dormant contaminations your perlite might have picked up in the process of being removed from the fruiting chamber.

But keep in mind that you can't hydrate your perlite with hot water. Hot water just speeds up the evaporation rate and, worse, creates a warm breeding ground for potential contaminates. Bleach solutions would be overkill for this reason but H2O2 evaporates quickly into oxygen and leaves pure water. If you ever wondered by H2O2 comes in brown bottles it's because light, any light, causes it to immediately break down into oxygen and water.

Several ounces of 3% H2O2 to a gallon of water would do no harm but would give you just enough killing power to keep things clean as you seriously disrupt the environment in your fruiting chamber.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Rehydrating perlite [Re: mycocurious]
    #7232535 - 07/28/07 12:26 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Perlite has mold spores and bacteria 2 seconds after you open the bag,Even if you wash with bleach or h202 within 1 min of being exposed to air it has millions of contams on it with that being said you dont really have to worry about contams what you should worry about is fae since that is the best thing to do to avoid contams.I would only use bleach or h202 after a contam attack then up the fae to avoid future outbreaks.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Rehydrating perlite [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7232945 - 07/28/07 06:46 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Misting should be enough to keep the perlite damp. You might also try 'raking' the perlite with your fingers to fluff it up. If it gets packed down, it won't work right. Fluff it up and that's probably all you need to do. I've had perlite still damp after two months. Peroxide and bleach are a waste on perlite. Just use plain water. You're not growing mushrooms on the perlite, it's only for humidity.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineusmc0811
Stranger

#23975460 - 01/02/17 09:19 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Glasskannon said:
i am not adding h202 to my water. several of RR's post regarding it specifically say you should not use it unless you are trying to control a contam. non of my cakes are contaminated. heres a post regarding what he says (and hyphae) about it.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6055987#6055987

as for the length.. this is my first grow. i havnt mastered the technique yet. i have flushed them a couple of times and redunked 2 of them so far and they are still fruiting so there is no reason to stop them from doing what they are doing.

:whathesaid:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck