Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSilliesym0n
Stranger
Male
Garbage sub?
    #23974591 - 01/02/17 01:19 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Hello, this is my first time posting, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to do so. I've recently started a new job at a garage processing plant. I will make this simple,i hope it's not as silly a question as I believe it to be. But the garbage we process leaves a residue that resembles a coir/cow manure texture. I've heard of several co workers using it for fertilizing their gardens and it works very well for them. I understand the difference in plant to mushroom organisms but Can this stuff possibly be pasteurized and used as a substrate for Portobello?maybe oyster, or possible cube cultivation? I hope this is worth asking Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTookitooki
Mycological Fabricator
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere Flag
Re: Garbage sub? [Re: Silliesym0n]
    #23974607 - 01/02/17 01:33 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Silliesym0n said:
I've recently started a new job at a garage processing plant.

Do you mean garbage processing plant? And what is this said garbage consist of, prior to processing?

InvisibleIntelligentxfruit
Earth Hippy

Re: Garbage sub? [Re: Tookitooki]
    #23974626 - 01/02/17 01:42 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

anything coming out of a garbage plant I would not using for human consumption...

InvisiblewildernessjunkieM
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Garbage sub? [Re: Intelligentxfruit]
    #23974647 - 01/02/17 01:54 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Oysters will eat damn near anything.

Stamets has them eating spilled fuel/oil.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Garbage sub? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #23974771 - 01/02/17 03:17 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's a great question. We'd love to get more details about what this stuff is made from. But, I'd say, give it a try! No reason not to. Bring to field capacity, pasteurize, and go. If it's made of organic waste and people use it in their garden, I bet it will work just fine, for oysters certainly, and probably for other species too.

OfflineSilliesym0n
Stranger
Male
Re: Garbage sub? [Re: Tookitooki]
    #23974774 - 01/02/17 03:17 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Yes garbage, I'm sorry for typo. It is sorted before runs through the plant. The metal, treated wood and glass is removed.it consists of paper, plastic and cloth etc, is the finished product to incinerated for energy.but the residue matter is decomposing material from the product. The only reason asking is cause it grows a mean garden. I thought it was worth asking.the garbage is also constantly tested for lead, mercury and asbestos. The garbage is free of these

InvisibleIntelligentxfruit
Earth Hippy

#23974778 - 01/02/17 03:21 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like a toxic sludge fest...use at your own risk :rofldrunk:

edit- wait is this a recycled plant or just straight curb garbage?

Edited by Intelligentxfruit (01/02/17 03:22 AM)

OfflineSilliesym0n
Stranger
Male
Re: Garbage sub? [Re: freespeech]
    #23974797 - 01/02/17 03:30 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you all, I think might give it try! But for the oysters consuming fuel and oil reply,, does the mushroom not take the chemicals which make it unsafe to eat?he garbage residue here is proven to not kill you, but it's gasses make you sick only once then you grow an immunity to it, people here have lunch thief problems and put the residue on their lunch to give the thief the "shits".that's where my pasteurization question Comes into play.will it kill the bad bacteria? I don't want to ( or give others) an upset stomach from my grow.

InvisiblewildernessjunkieM
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
    #23974808 - 01/02/17 03:37 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I dont know man. RR sent in some of his Shiitake for toxic testing, and determined that the toxins he administered to his grows did not transfer into his crops. However, I cant imagine that it was a wide spectrum test.

Whether I would personally eat them would depend on the composition of the waste.

Stamets TedTalk on "Six ways mushrooms can save the world" is on YouTube, and its worth watching.

OfflineJazzyJay420
Stranger
Re: Garbage sub? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #23974878 - 01/02/17 04:19 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

wildernessjunkie said:
I dont know man. RR sent in some of his Shiitake for toxic testing, and determined that the toxins he administered to his grows did not transfer into his crops. However, I cant imagine that it was a wide spectrum test.

Whether I would personally eat them would depend on the composition of the waste.

Stamets TedTalk on "Six ways mushrooms can save the world" is on YouTube, and its worth watching.

Allot of fruits and vegetables are grown from human waste and then the fruits and vegetables are sold to supermarkets. Companies literally buy dried out human shit as fertilizer. None of the fruits or vegetables are harmful or toxic.

OfflineSilliesym0n
Stranger
Male
Re: Garbage sub? [Re: JazzyJay420]
    #23974936 - 01/02/17 05:17 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

To also add,, it is curb garbage but select companies are chosen bring in their product.prior to dropping off, the garbage is sorted, food matter, nursing home,( diapers, medical, syringes,etc) construction, industrial matter is removed.it is again sorted by human when reaches the company and the machines. it only contain the material suitable for incineration. Basically, paper, some plastic,and cloth are end product. I will try this, and post my results as I go! Thank you very much for being helpful on such a strange interest. I will probably look into toxic testing myself if avail to  me!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies