Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
time and its relativity?
    #2395694 - 03/02/04 03:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Time passes and exists relatively to our cumulative experience with it. Thus, when we were in grade school, each day passed as fast as weeks now seem to. This is because when I was in 3rd grade, I'd only lived for a short amount of time, so a single day made up a larger percentage of my life than it does now. I wonder if this is why some old people just seem to give up. Will the final 20 years of my life appear to me as a week does now? Or does it kind of level off after a point? Maybe time passes based on how emtionally and mentally invested we are in it. As kids, every moment was something new and exciting. We were seeing, learning, experiencing completely new things every day. Nowadays, every day is very similar. I wake up, go to school, go through the motions, come home, smoke a bowl, work some more, sleep, rinse, lather, repeat. Maybe thats why time passes so quickly now? Maybe I've just not paying attention any more. Most of the new things in my life come from "inside" now, not the external (ex. - as a kid, most of the things I did were shown to me by others, or otherwise were physical experiences, nowadays I do a lot more "thinking" about stuff.... so the new things tend to be ideas and outlooks and... shit... and... fuck... and... this is just another escuse to put off the work I know I have to do tonight. I'm rambling anyway. Sorry if this has already been discussed. Also I probably mis-used some of those big words more than once. Oh well. Any opinions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: time and its relativity? [Re: Turd]
    #2395911 - 03/02/04 03:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

All I know is that its time for another beer.

:beer:

Well, one wasn't really enough

:beer: :beer:

Okay, that is good

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Too much

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Not nearly enough

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinegreenhaze
one toke overthe line

Loc: the severed garden
    #2396410 - 03/02/04 06:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i agree with you about time seeming different relative to our age......getting old is kind of a depressing thought in a way...knowing your on the downward spiral towards death....but i guess you just gotta try and make the best of every day.... :stoned:

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2396455 - 03/02/04 06:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Time seems to pass a lot faster when your having fun.
Maybe the first few years of our lives we were all just really bored...

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2396524 - 03/02/04 06:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting, as this is the subject of the chapter I am reading right now in The Fabric of the Cosmos.

Time is one of the hardest subjects to discuss, for a variety of reasons. How do you define "time"? Do we apply the word "time" to multiple and distinct concepts?

Physics would say that time is a dimension of our universe (along with the other three "spatial" dimensions). Yet physics would also say that time does not have an "arrow" nor does it "flow"...time simply is. Yet this goes entirely against our everyday experience and common sense.

There are far too many unanswered questions, where time is concerned.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
Re: time and its relativity? [Re: trendal]
    #2396538 - 03/02/04 07:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hey trendal, Im looking for a book that kind of talks about this kind of thing but isnt overly technical. Something that explains it without all the confusing scientific jargon.

Would you recommend "the Fabric of the Cosmos?"

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: time and its relativity? [Re: manna_man]
    #2396547 - 03/02/04 07:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Definately! It's by Brian Greene, the author of another favorite book of mine, The Elegant Universe.

He's very good at bringing complex physics concepts to bear in a way that anyone should be able to understand. Whenever he gets to a point where he wants to explain things a little more difficult, he gives the reader warning and a page that you can skip to for a brief summary of the technical parts.

The Fabric of the Cosmos is, so far, a very excellent book :smile:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlineplanit
natural
Loc: hilly glacier washout
    #2396683 - 03/02/04 07:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i dont know much about physics and the meanings of time but i do know i have acurately predicted the future , somthing that was not every day and that i (governed by modern science"could not have known, my life was just soo much waiting (somthing i have always hated)i would almost feel myself experienceing somthing that ahd not happened yet,not just feel but see,id think iv seen this before,(like dejavew)spelling) like all time is relative depending on how you precieve it , that might not make scence to anyone

OfflineThe_Visionaire
Torch

Loc: Indra's Net
    #2397322 - 03/03/04 06:04 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I hate this topic because it is simply too much to say about it...

Well I'll just make some quick points:

Time, as have been said, is a property in physics. We can put time in our equations and get answers that fit nature. Time is a property of relativity theory as well as quantum mechanics. These two theories are the giants in modern physics, but physicists have not been able to unify the two in a complete theory. Maybe the notion of time is a key here?

It is not clear from physics why time moves forward (theories abound; the irreducibleness of the wave-function collaps, entropy etc. but none completely satisfactory). It would seem that the forward perception of time is a human or animal quality. The flow of time is a subjective property, and obviously linked to consciousness.

As a lot of evidence indicate, certain humans (certain animals as well, rf. Rupert Sheldrake) have the ability to percieve future events (and past events also). This does not conclude that the future is predetermined. The perception of future by a psychic is probably the most likely to happen based on the current flow. Certain elements of the flow are very stable (i.e. the moon revolves around the earth.) subtler flows are more unstable (i.e. the system of thought).

The reason we are locked in time is that our whole meaning-structure rely on time! We can not change the parameter of time in physics, but we can change what it means and how we relate to it. Meaning is a property of the universe, and no equation will ever be able to capture it because it is too fundamental.

I see it as likely that crude matter make up space-time, and not that space-time is something given a priori and then we put matter into it. Subtler densities of matter may make up a different space-time where the parameters determining change are different. If we link our meaning-structure to these subtler densities we will trancend crude space-time (the wave will come!) :mushroom2: :biggrin:

Okay, just some thoughts...

--------------------
There are no differences between men and gods,
one blends softly causal into the other.
-Frank Herbert, Dune.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2397335 - 03/03/04 06:14 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

albert einstein:
a second sitting on a hot stove is a long time, while a second kissing a pretty girl is a very short time...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: time and its relativity? [Re: gnrm23]
    #2397386 - 03/03/04 06:53 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Close :wink:

"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours - that's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

--------------------

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #2397835 - 03/03/04 10:06 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

I guess time passes more quickly when one is adult , because one is usually planning his life more and is looking into the future and what expects him there.

For example, I am a student now and I try to think what will happen and what will I work when I finish, I consider a time 2 years from now. If i were a small kid, my "event horizon", so to say, will be at the most the current and next week, no long term plannning at all.

For a kid, just having a fun week is enough, while adults have serious long-term goals.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: time and its relativity? [Re: gnrm23]
    #2398063 - 03/03/04 11:19 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

and a second kissing a hot stove seems like a medium amount of time.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder