Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeath_race_king
Stranger
a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere.
    #2391950 - 03/01/04 04:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have a golden teacher injected growbag(bought from sporebank) which has been colonizing for about 30 days.
The mycellium has completly covered to the level just above the prepackaged substrate
My question(s) are:

1)Should the mycellium continue to grow up the bag past the level of the substrate and go all the way up towards the gas/air exchange filter?

Or is now the right time to expose them to light?

2)When the proper time to expose the bag to light comes, how many days on average should the bag be exposed to light until pinning begins?

3) Once pinning begins, how do I know when the proper time to harvest the fungus is?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Loc: NRW
Re: a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere. [Re: death_race_king]
    #2392012 - 03/01/04 05:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hi,
is there any air flow? Shrooms would grow with little air exchange but not many of them. Air flow and humidity, both is necessary. A growbag as I know them does not support the first condition.
A small amount of light should be enough for fruiting. Maybe some minutes every day.
Hope it helps...

--------------------
Looking for: Volvariella volvacea, Panaeolus Cyanescens and rare edibles. Trades are welcome!

Edited by wizard2k (03/02/04 01:49 PM)

Offlinedeath_race_king
Stranger
Re: a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere. [Re: wizard2k]
    #2392210 - 03/01/04 06:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The only air flow is coming from the air/gas exchange filter premade into the growbag. There is condensation on the sides of the bag to aid with humidity.

As far as light goes, I am cultivating them in the dark. I waiting until the bag is 90% colonized to expose them to light, I just don't know when the 90% colonization point is?

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Re: a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere. [Re: death_race_king]
    #2392250 - 03/01/04 06:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Why don't you wait until it's 100% colonized? Then you could handle it like PF method.

--------------------
Looking for: Volvariella volvacea, Panaeolus Cyanescens and rare edibles. Trades are welcome!

Offlinedeath_race_king
Stranger
    #2392447 - 03/01/04 07:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

wizard2k,PF tech would probably been a good idea from the start, however for the first time trying the most simple way to experience the fungus, having never done it before.

NEverWasOrwillbe, I am gonna expose em to some light and see what happens, we'll see how long they take to fruit...

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

#2394192 - 03/02/04 07:28 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The most simple way to grow shrooms is to provide best conditions. For cubensis, this is very easy to obtain. Cut at least small holes in the growbag when the substrate is 100% colonized.
It would be better to remove the bag and place the fully colonized substrate in a "humidity chamber" like described in the PF-document, imho. You only have to wait and see the shrooms grow. Use wet Perlite at the bottom of the growbox for a high level of humidity and fan once or twice a day.
They'll fruit anyway, but once you've (successfully) done the basics you'll see how easy growing shrooms can be!

--------------------

Invisiblebaltazar
Quiet dreamer

#2394739 - 03/02/04 11:11 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Eh.... i'm a bit confused now .... Can my jars be all the time exposed to light ( when the mycelium is colonizing birdseed )??? Becose i use infrared light air heating method ...

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
Re: a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere. [Re: baltazar]
    #2394821 - 03/02/04 11:34 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Better to keep them in the dark while they colonize.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Invisiblebaltazar
Quiet dreamer

Re: a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere. [Re: ummikko]
    #2394918 - 03/02/04 12:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

then ill roll my jars in aluminium foil so there is no light going to reach the mycelium , so i can still use my infrared heating method .

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #2394931 - 03/02/04 12:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Just make sure they still get enough gas exchange.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Offlineludik
Stranger
Re: a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere. [Re: ummikko]
    #2395336 - 03/02/04 01:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I just wanted to say HI! and that im in the same boat as you guys. I got my growbag from sporebank and it is pretty much colonized. I started exposing it to a little light this week. I guess I have to read up and wait and see about what to do/expect next.

Goodluck guys. I also just wanted to get it going the easy way my first time..so i bought the bag.. but now that Ive seen the process I'm def going to do it the in depth way next. Lata!

Edited by ludik (03/02/04 01:46 PM)

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

#2395394 - 03/02/04 01:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I edited my post above: they need light only for fruiting. In general, you don't want them to fruit inside of the bag. So keep the mycelium in darkness until you want the shrooms to appear. Allegedly it's sufficing to expose the mycelium to milliseconds of light to induce fruiting. But that has to be testet.
Don't forget to take spore prints :-)

--------------------

Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
    #2395562 - 03/02/04 02:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Its grains right?
Ive never had grains pin in the jar before. I only use WBS and Ive never seen a pin without a casing even when I use clear trays.

Case it. You will get MUCH more.
A thin casing when its colonized fully would be good.

They need some air to so fan it or somethin.

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Re: a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere. [Re: mickywilliams2]
    #2395658 - 03/02/04 03:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I once stored a glass of rye spawn with a polyfill filter for too long. It's a pity that I don't have a photo. It looked so strange:
The rye shrinked and the glass was full of shrooms growing on each other! :crazy:
It did not look very tasty...
:smile2:

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: a very simple newbie question, answer not found elsewhere. [Re: ummikko] * 1
    #2395711 - 03/02/04 03:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ummikko said:
Better to keep them in the dark while they colonize.

I disagree.

In my experience, it's better to expose to light from day one. If you'll just let your bags or jars colonize on a shelf in a room of your house, they'll be exposed to normal room light. This will help to initiate pinning as soon as the substrate is ready to support fruitbodies. Colonizing your jars in the dark only delays pinning, and delay is not good in this hobby.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate