Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShaker
Re: Wondering if the pressure is enough on cooker
    #23930 - 07/11/00 12:04 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

mediakill,

Gotta read that box before you put down the ducats, sonny. :wink:

Some people just boil instead of pressure cooking and get good results so I'm sure that if you are a little careful about mixing things (trying to keep it as clean as possible) and make sure that the substrait you are using is easy to sterilize you'll be OK.
My advice would be to keep the contams you add while mixing to a minimum so you are relying less on the canner killing everything, making sure you have NO sunflower seeds in whatever you use as a substrait and cook it about 10 minutes longer and you should be OK.
If things go wrong the first time dont feel to bad, this can be tricky sometimes but you CAN do it.

Shaker

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

#23932 - 07/11/00 12:47 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i encountered the same problem, except mine only does 10psi so i just cooked for 50 minutes @ 10psi, works just fine.

tekniq

Anonymous

#23933 - 07/11/00 12:58 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I have also read that 15psi is necessary for sterilization, but go ahead and give it a shot. Even if you lose a few to contam, you should still have a few that come out ok. I have found boiling the jars to be very ineffective. Others have had very good success with boiling. Other factors such as your environment and technique will also play a factor.

Adaption 23 in the Magic Mushroom Growers Guide (available in the grow find section) talks about sterilizing substrate ingredients separately before you sterilize with a pressure cooker, thus lowering your chances of contamination. I haven't done this but it def won't hurt.

Also, don't keep changing the heat settings while sterilizing with a pressure cooker. This can cause the pressure inside the cooker to change, pushing out water inside the jars. And like shaker said, don't get frustrated. I've had plenty of contam problems so far. I think this is the hardest thing to get a handle of when you first start growing. Good luck :smile:

Anonymous

#23934 - 07/11/00 01:54 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Speaking of sunflower seeds, a really quick way to get the out is to pour your seed into a pot of water. The sunflower seeds will generally float to the top and they can be scooped out with ease.
Peace,
Wildman

Anonymous

#23935 - 07/11/00 04:54 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Ive made 12 jars. lost none to contams and all i do is boil for an hour in a vegatable steamer. flame on four an hour and it takes like another 4 for it to cool down. so i use one day to make and sterilize substrate and the next for inoc. IF you boil cover the tops in tin foil and dont take it off till you are ready to inoculate. works good for me. goo d luck!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation