Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
need help with growbox design
    #2366406 - 02/22/04 12:16 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

a friend of mine built a little closet/cabinet a while back in which he intended to grow some weed, although he never got around to doing it.  its very sturdy and no light leaks or anything.  it is 39 inches high, 23 inches wide and 19 inches deep (growing area, not the whole lot).  he said he would give it to me for free as he isnt using it.  ive drawn a rough plan and i need some help with it.  im going to have to add the three shelves myself as they arent in there yet and so you dont get confused the door doesnt go past the bottom terranium.  now, down to business.  the blue leds are going to be on timers.  the air pump will be on 24/7.  im going to spray a sound deadener inside the whole thing to block out a bit of sound.  im thinking about adding the fan (which is in red) and automating it to turn on for a few mins every few hours, but im not sure if its even needed.  im also thinking about adding some type of heating device for the cold seasons as well.  my friend who built it is also an electrician so he will be able to wire up the whole thing for me :smile:.  so tell me what you guys think.  is there anything i should change or add on?

Edited by TRS (02/26/04 04:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGoldenShroom
shhhh ....don'ttell anyone!

Loc: wherever shrooms grow wil...
Re: help me design my growbox [Re: TRS]
    #2367158 - 02/22/04 07:32 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think you just need one daylight fluoro at the top for lighting, since they don't require direct light. I've just never heard of someone using leds and don't know if it will work as well. Also, a filter at the point of fresh air exchange would be a good idea.

--------------------
-The killer in me is the killer in you... so I send this smile over to you

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: help me design my growbox [Re: GoldenShroom]
    #2367215 - 02/22/04 08:14 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

LEDs could work. They're just gonna need to be extremely bright if they're lighting up 3 shelves of "bulk terrariums", ya know? Might as well get a flouro or what not.

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
Re: help me design my growbox [Re: ImOver18]
    #2370922 - 02/23/04 06:21 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

there are three leds, one for each shelf. yeah i was going to put some filters in at any place that leads to fresh air but i forgot to mention it. so is there anything else i need/dont need, should change, etc?

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
    #2378219 - 02/26/04 04:39 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

bump

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2380055 - 02/26/04 02:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I trust the flouros myself over the LEDs but the idea on a whole is pretty killer.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
Re: help me design my growbox [Re: Magash]
    #2382198 - 02/27/04 06:58 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

thanks, but i thought blue leds were the best type of light for p cubensis. im pretty sure i read about a study with blue leds on here, the difference might not be big or even noticable but if it helps then it helps.

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
    #2390371 - 03/01/04 06:53 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

come on guys, i want to put this thing together as soon as i can. all i really need to know is if the fan is a good thing to put in or if i should take it out. if i can stop fanning because of the fan then ill leave it in the design because i want it to be as low maitenence as possible. give me some opinions people

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: need help with growbox design [Re: TRS]
    #2390391 - 03/01/04 07:10 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

are you trying to control humidity of each individual section? It kinda looks like that and that will be a hard thing to do..

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
Re: need help with growbox design [Re: dobinky]
    #2390436 - 03/01/04 07:42 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

the humidity would be fine in the top because its a pmp. hmmm, thanks for bringing this up, i havent put too much thought into that aspect of it. i was thinking of having no lid on the bulk terraniums so the whole section would of had to have had 90+ humidity. i guess i would still have had to mist anyway, in which case it would probably be better to put a lid on the terraniums, or casings i guess they are. so if im going to be misting i might as well fan at the same time then. the only problem with that is that im either not home or i have people over so its sort of hard to mist/fan 3 times a day, do you see anyway around this?

InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
    #2390459 - 03/01/04 07:56 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i just pulled this from earthstongue.com

This section is a short section, because there is not much to it.
As long as there is a window in the room, there will be sufficient light for your mushrooms to grow. In fact all your mushrooms really need is a few minutes of light a day to grow. All they need the light for is to know which way is up so they know which way to grow, but the amount of light given will not affect wether you get mushrooms or not.

The heigth of your mushrooms will also not be determined by the amount of light provided. Sometimes mushrooms will grow longer if they have less light.
One way to use light to your advantage though, is by using blue light as your number 1 source of light.

Blue light has proven to be the best spectrum for mushrooms, than any other spectrum on Earth. Shown to stimulate upward growth, speed of growth, and overall health.
What is mostly recommended for use is blue LED lights, but LED lights are really hard to find, and they are really really tiny, so you would need A LOT of them to even make a difference in your chamber. So forget LED lights.

You can integrate the use of blue light by choosing a blue container as your growth chamber. The kind that isn't transparent, but will still let light through. This way, any and all light that enters the growth chamber will turn blue.
:smile:
You can accent this blue light by placing a fluorescent lightbulb on top of the lid for a few hours a day.

the thing i dont understand is what they are saying about led lights.  leds are easy to get and even though they are small they produce quite large amounts of light.

OfflineIfIWereARichMan
journeyman
    #2391284 - 03/01/04 01:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Its only within the past 5 years that blue leds have become affordable and useful. Before that they were strictly research material - the patent was awarded in '90 and commercialization only began in '93

InvisibleMoNk
pupil

#2391324 - 03/01/04 01:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TRS said:
the thing i dont understand is what they are saying about led lights. leds are easy to get and even though they are small they produce quite large amounts of light.

very true. I do not understand what that other information is refering to either.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies