Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleliloldmeFacebook
( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ=D
Other User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Small Scale Mushroom Farm [Re: MycoFlora]
    #24306293 - 05/09/17 04:37 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

if you daisy chain them like you first tried I think it would work better if you plumb the hot in bottom, exhaust gases vent out top, then repeat like in this video. That way you're forcing the heat through the entire thing and helping fight air pockets that could occur. Just a thought

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNothingsChanged
Striving for Excellence
Male User Gallery

Loc: North/Western WA Flag
Re: My Small Scale Mushroom Farm [Re: liloldme]
    #24306371 - 05/09/17 06:17 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

i was thinking along those same lines. Trying to push rising steam downward to the next barrel is slowing it down. even a stair step type set up where the next barrel in line is a couple feet higher will make the flow more efficient. ? some kind of collection cup at the exit point on each barrel to catch the heavier condensation thats slowing your steam flow to the next barrel,in return speeding up the heating of the barrels?

Just brain storming.

--------------------

Offlinefrog48
Peasant
Male

Loc: France Flag
Re: My Small Scale Mushroom Farm [Re: NothingsChanged]
    #24306452 - 05/09/17 07:29 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all, made a small vid to show you how we do it in France. Very low tech sterilization with a wood fired boiler. Works great, I recently changed the iron piping because there was too much heat loss and it was a PIA. Now using heat resistant floor heating hoses. Great stuff.
As a dessert: a look in the raspberry plantation where we use a lot of spent substrate to inoculate SRA and oysters too boost yields!!!!

Edited by frog48 (05/09/17 07:39 AM)

InvisibleMycoFlora
Farmer

Re: My Small Scale Mushroom Farm [Re: frog48]
    #24306504 - 05/09/17 07:59 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

liloldme said:
if you daisy chain them like you first tried I think it would work better if you plumb the hot in bottom, exhaust gases vent out top, then repeat like in this video. That way you're forcing the heat through the entire thing and helping fight air pockets that could occur. Just a thought

I've seen that setup before...interesting.

So after insulating and rerunning the line problem is solved. There is about a 5 degree temp difference, which is fine as long as they are both at or above temp.
funny enough the second barrel is getting hotter first after I re ran the piping. Go figure.
I'll post pics of it running when I get back home today.

Quote:

frog48 said:
Hi all, made a small vid to show you how we do it in France. Very low tech sterilization with a wood fired boiler. Works great, I recently changed the iron piping because there was too much heat loss and it was a PIA. Now using heat resistant floor heating hoses. Great stuff.
As a dessert: a look in the raspberry plantation where we use a lot of spent substrate to inoculate SRA and oysters too boost yields!!!!

Thanks for sharing Mr. Frog!
Funny enough I was just reading your old thread about this very subject.
I actually thought about your operation the other day, as we are going certified organic this year and switching to growing mainly shiitake/specialty varieties.

Edited by MycoFlora (05/09/17 08:04 AM)

InvisibleMycoFlora
Farmer

#24306612 - 05/09/17 08:45 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by MycoFlora (05/09/17 08:46 AM)

Offlinelonglife
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24307206 - 05/09/17 01:02 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MycoFlora said:

Thanks for this great video mate!
It really made my day to saw your setup running.  :sunny:
Just got a few more questions, hope i didn't miss it if you already posted it somewhere in your thread.
So here they are:

1. As you said you filled your barrel to 3/4 full, and this water lasted through the whole steaming session? Or did you have to fill it again in between?
2. How long does one session last? 8 hours? 12 hours? 24 hours?
3. What kind of substrate are you using? Only sawdust or do you also add something for more nutrition?

InvisibleliloldmeFacebook
( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ=D
Other User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My Small Scale Mushroom Farm [Re: longlife]
    #24307410 - 05/09/17 02:33 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Heck yeah man! Time to get off my ass and go build some stuff too! :woot:

OfflineMorePies
Stranger
Loc: TX Flag
Re: My Small Scale Mushroom Farm [Re: liloldme]
    #24307594 - 05/09/17 03:47 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Smokin!

InvisibleMycoFlora
Farmer

#24308833 - 05/10/17 04:56 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

longlife said:
Quote:

MycoFlora said:

Just got a few more questions, hope i didn't miss it if you already posted it somewhere in your thread.
So here they are:

1. As you said you filled your barrel to 3/4 full, and this water lasted through the whole steaming session? Or did you have to fill it again in between?
3. What kind of substrate are you using? Only sawdust or do you also add something for more nutrition?

Hey thanks man
Yes this cook I didn't refill at all and had plenty left.
the cook was about 19 hours start to finish. you want time it for 12 hours once you hit core temps.
I'm convinced I can get it down to a 15 hour cook if I crank up my burner more, it just scares the shit out of me when it's turned all the way up. It it can produce a flame several feet high and damn near as wide as the barrel. 260,000 btus is no joke.

and I do supplemented sawdust and sometimes will run grain in there as well.
Right now I supplement with soy bean meal, but we are going certified organic soon so I will have to switch to OG bran.

Offlinelonglife
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24309700 - 05/10/17 12:46 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MycoFlora said:
Quote:

longlife said:
Quote:

MycoFlora said:

So here they are:

Hey thanks man
Yes this cook I didn't refill at all and had plenty left.
the cook was about 19 hours start to finish. you want time it for 12 hours once you hit core temps.
I'm convinced I can get it down to a 15 hour cook if I crank up my burner more, it just scares the shit out of me when it's turned all the way up. It it can produce a flame several feet high and damn near as wide as the barrel. 260,000 btus is no joke.

and I do supplemented sawdust and sometimes will run grain in there as well.
Right now I supplement with soy bean meal, but we are going certified organic soon so I will have to switch to OG bran.

Thank you again for all the good information you posted
How do you know when you hit core temps? You have heat sensor in one of the bags? Or you just start the 12 hours timer when you see steam coming out of both barrels?
Also what does OG bran mean? Wheat bran?
And how much does one run cost you, including propane, myco bags, grains and everything that is included?

Sorry for so much questions, but i am also constructing a system like that, and would love to know what can i expect out of it

InvisibleMycoFlora
Farmer

#24310339 - 05/10/17 05:15 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Just a digital high temp thermometer with a temp probe. I sandwich it in the middle of of of the middle bags.
and yes wheat bran. OG is just short for organic.

it costs me around 20$ a run in propane, but me giving you my costs doesn't really help you. Your cost  growing/production will be wildly different than mine as we are in different regions.
It was honestly a little expensive to build because I used all shark bite fittings instead of sweating or welding anything, but they are so easy to work with that I had this up and functional in an afternoon.

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #24310360 - 05/10/17 05:27 PM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Nice thread, lots of good shared info to read.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Growing mushrooms, general guide and information (Ferather's Journal), https://ibb.co/rG3rML2

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27857366#27857366

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek [DTS:X] - Unlocked and reprogrammed.

Offlinelonglife
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My Small Scale Mushroom Farm [Re: Ferather]
    #24326130 - 05/17/17 03:46 AM (6 years, 10 months ago)

Any news, pictures update? :sunny:

InvisibleMadMuncher
 User Gallery

Re: My Small Scale Mushroom Farm [Re: Dblackishaw]
    #27220631 - 02/22/21 04:31 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Dblackishaw said:
I have a couple of those 55 gallon plastic containers. Now i know a good use for at least 1. Thank you!

got pics?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder