Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleKenInVic
Hey Bulldog
Male User Gallery

Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun Flag
Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know
    #23886183 - 12/01/16 10:59 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Nice to see this is being picked up mainstream again.  Nothing like a war on drugs to stifle knowledge and development.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3101778/anxiety-depression-lessened-after-a-dose-of-magic-mushrooms-studies/

--------------------
***My SGFC***  ***ID Mushrooms Here***
Pondering the question, "Are we all here, because we're not all there?"

"Because something is happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones."  Ballad of a Thin Man by Mrs. Zimmerman's little boy, Bobby.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know [Re: KenInVic]
    #23886402 - 12/02/16 01:00 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The magic mushroom may have another magical property.

The hallucinogen psilocybin, which is found in magic mushrooms, has been linked to a lift in anxiety and depression in cancer patients.

New studies from John Hopkins and New York Universities show a majority of people who have cancer-related depression found “considerable relief” after consuming the hallucinogen.

Even more remarkable – the effects continued six months after the last treatment.

Both studies showed similar results: around 80 per cent of participants showed significant decreases in depressed mood and anxiety.

“The most interesting and remarkable finding is that a single dose of psilocybin, which lasts four to six hours, produced enduring decreases in depression and anxiety symptoms,” Dr. Roland Griffiths, lead researcher and a professor of behavioural biology at John Hopkins said.

“This may represent a fascinating new model for treating some psychiatric conditions.”

It’s an important subject, he said, because people with cancer can be “psychologically challenging.” In fact, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network reports that up to 40 per cent of people diagnosed will experience a mood disorder.

“People with this kind of existential anxiety often feel hopeless and are worried about the meaning of life and what happens upon death,” Griffiths said in a news release.

Researchers at New York University (NYU) said the results were nearly instantaneous. In comparison, antidepressants can take weeks to have an effect, Dr. Stephen Ross, who led the NYU study told the New York Times.

And the effects are life changing, according to one patient.

Octavian Mihai, who had lymphoma in 2013, told the Times he participated in the NYU study and had an epiphany during his session.

He asked himself:  “Why are you letting yourself be terrorized by cancer coming back?”

“That’s when I saw black smoke rising from my body. And it felt great.”

Three years later, Mihai says he still isn’t anxious about his cancer, and he attributes it to the session.

The studies were both conducted in safe environments, with staff members supervising the sessions. Researchers say they  don’t condone using mushrooms for “self-treatment,” the NYT reports.

Both studies were funded in part by the Heffter Research Institute.

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know [Re: KenInVic]
    #23886407 - 12/02/16 01:03 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

CONSUMER
December 1, 2016 10:07 pm Updated: December 1, 2016 10:13 pm
Anxiety, depression lessened after a dose of magic mushroom hallucinogen: studies

By Rebecca Joseph  National Online Journalist, Breaking News Global News

more
Magic mushrooms are seen at the Procare farm in Hazerswoude, central Netherlands, Friday Aug. 3, 2007.
Magic mushrooms are seen at the Procare farm in Hazerswoude, central Netherlands, Friday Aug. 3, 2007.
(AP Photo/Peter Dejong)
- A A  +
Listen
The magic mushroom may have another magical property.

The hallucinogen psilocybin, which is found in magic mushrooms, has been linked to a lift in anxiety and depression in cancer patients.

New studies from John Hopkins and New York Universities show a majority of people who have cancer-related depression found “considerable relief” after consuming the hallucinogen.

Even more remarkable – the effects continued six months after the last treatment.

Both studies showed similar results: around 80 per cent of participants showed significant decreases in depressed mood and anxiety.

“The most interesting and remarkable finding is that a single dose of psilocybin, which lasts four to six hours, produced enduring decreases in depression and anxiety symptoms,” Dr. Roland Griffiths, lead researcher and a professor of behavioural biology at John Hopkins said.

“This may represent a fascinating new model for treating some psychiatric conditions.”

It’s an important subject, he said, because people with cancer can be “psychologically challenging.” In fact, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network reports that up to 40 per cent of people diagnosed will experience a mood disorder.

“People with this kind of existential anxiety often feel hopeless and are worried about the meaning of life and what happens upon death,” Griffiths said in a news release.

Researchers at New York University (NYU) said the results were nearly instantaneous. In comparison, antidepressants can take weeks to have an effect, Dr. Stephen Ross, who led the NYU study told the New York Times.

And the effects are life changing, according to one patient.

READ MORE: Could a simple blood test predict whether you’ll be alive in 5 years?

Octavian Mihai, who had lymphoma in 2013, told the Times he participated in the NYU study and had an epiphany during his session.

He asked himself:  “Why are you letting yourself be terrorized by cancer coming back?”

“That’s when I saw black smoke rising from my body. And it felt great.”

Three years later, Mihai says he still isn’t anxious about his cancer, and he attributes it to the session.

The studies were both conducted in safe environments, with staff members supervising the sessions. Researchers say they  don’t condone using mushrooms for “self-treatment,” the NYT reports.

Both studies were funded in part by the Heffter Research Institute.

© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc

--------------------

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #23887010 - 12/02/16 09:44 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

When we talk about using drugs, to deal with a problem, low blood sugar, hemorrhaging, and terminal velocity are real problems, unlike being worried.

Quote:

Researchers say they  don’t condone using mushrooms for “self-treatment,” the NYT reports.

For that matter, you shouldn't take care of yourself, in any way.

Knee jerk authoritarians have their own kind of drug, which they use to escape from reality, are no more objective than your common junky.

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
Re: Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know [Re: durian_2008]
    #23888578 - 12/02/16 07:10 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

How much worse is cancer depression rather than suicidal depression?

--------------------
Life. 2008

Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know [Re: PumpJackTeX]
    #23888879 - 12/02/16 08:39 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TexXx said:
How much worse is cancer depression rather than suicidal depression?

I'm saying that cancer is more of a problem than depression.

Perhaps, lifting your mood and terminal illness are two separate issues, particularly, since some people are ok with it.

If your problem is solely in your head, it is not an example of avoidance, to deal with it as such.

InvisibleShroomerInTheRye
Clit Commander
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Themyscira Flag
    #23889750 - 12/03/16 06:33 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I remember reading a study years ago that showed that people with depression have a worse quality of life than people with cancer.  When people get cancer, they typically don't want to die.  People with depression don't typically want to live.  People with cancer get sick because of chemotherapy and treatments.  People with depression have a myriad of problems ranging from stomach issues to headaches to exhaustion.  Depression isn't just an "in your head" thing.  It affects your whole body.

--------------------
:nyan: <-- Clicky Clicky

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know [Re: ShroomerInTheRye]
    #23890028 - 12/03/16 09:29 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I am mainly trying to say that self treatment of depression is not necessarily an example of avoidance of responsibility, which is what we were taught in public highschool.

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
    #23890152 - 12/03/16 10:16 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I always was the guy who thought "depression was all in your head"

February of this year the VA told my dad he would be dead in 5/6 months right after a clinical trial to cure his hep. C failed.

I took some of his oxys for a few days and about a month after that & I thought I was withdrawing for 4 days - but i wasn't getting better (I never been addicted to pain pills or heroin or even enjoyed the high much)

4 days went by without holding down solids until I found some cannabis on day 4 (Texas sucks)

I puked every single morning and felt extremely sick until noon and 6 pm I finally could eat a few hundreds calories. The first 30-60 days I was losing half a pound a day. I thought the pain pills killed a vital organ.

I never had energy. I visited with many doctors. They gave me meds for my stomach swelling and even Xanax, every prescription made it worse.

He died 8-10-16 and finally in November I started waking up with my energy back and not throwing up what I ate the night before, or a bunch of spit & two weeks after that I got some good LSD and I finally was able to see why I was so stressed, it helped me even more. Now, I wake up normal and can enjoy the little things a lot more.

I really thought something was wrong with a organ of mine and when my dad was still alive I was telling him this.

He said "It's all in your God damn head."

It offended me, but he was right.

--------------------
Life. 2008

Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know [Re: PumpJackTeX]
    #23893411 - 12/04/16 10:46 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Just pure psilocin will help depression just as much as regular mushrooms in my experience.

Same is true with synthetic analogs such as 4-ho-xxx/4-aco-xxx

Meaning that i think its very possible that Psilo itself is what is responsible for lifting depression. Works best with smaller doses.

Quote:

always was the guy who thought "depression was all in your head"

when it comes to "sadness" (I am feeling depressed), sure, but real depression is a legitimate mental disorder and sometimes theres just no way but down. regardless of how positive you try to keep those "vibes".

One of the most positive and lovely people i know, this year, depression>suicide :frown: on 4/20 too. prolly not the best place to post this stuff but its related.

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineMurzelpfrumpft
pet donkey in a lucid dream

Re: Telling Us What Some of Us Already Know [Re: Fractal420]
    #23905694 - 12/08/16 02:20 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Good story texXx.

Im an aspiring psychologist and ive been to the clinic a few weeks and there regularly are people reporting physical aches and pains that turn out to be anxiety and depression.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate