Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedan17511
Stranger
Questions from a Beginner
    #2387654 - 02/28/04 11:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've been having alot of problems on my first mycology expierment.

1. I have birthed some cakes 3 weeks ago and put into a fruting chamber. Since I saw no growth, i decided to case them. I put 4 cakes of varying stains into a milkjug like containter and tin foiled the outside. It has been a week and the there has been no growth through the casing layer.It has been at 86 degrees, and expose to a little light each day. So, it has been a total of 1 month since I birthed them and they are still white. I was thinking dunk it? Any suggestions

2. I recently tried the 9er technique, where it requires a poly fil top. I used coffee filters and all jars had contamination. Is it good to use coffee filters instead of polyfil??

3. On reducing the humidity in my fruting chamber, perlite. How would i go about lowering the humidity, I was think holes in the side with polyfill???

4. If i am using metal lids on my 1/2 pint jars, w/ taped holes should I open it rountinely to circulate the air.

5. With my fruiting chamber, Do I literally fan out the chamber, or just open it.

Any Responce would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: Questions from a Beginner [Re: dan17511]
    #2387672 - 02/28/04 11:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

1.  First of dry dropping your tempurature to 72 degrees if the myc is not growing, it might initiate some fruiting for you.

2. Both coffee filster and polyfill have been known to work very well..My prefrence is surgical cloth tape., a combination of both couldnt hurt.  I would start reviewing your sterile techniques if all your jars are getting contams.

3 Addin a air hole might work, often times just using less perlite/water works as well...or just fanning a few more times per day.

4.  According to Paul Stamets, P Cubensis mushrooms require no fresh air exchanges, and opening the lids will just lead to the contaminiation of your jars.  Leave the lids on and let the babies grow.

5. Open the chamber, and fan the inside..i found 2 or 3 good fans does the trick all right, its a good practice to mist the air with a 10:1 water:h202 mixture before opening the lid to the terrariums.

Hope this helps a bit
:smile:

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Questions from a Beginner [Re: dan17511]
    #2387692 - 02/29/04 12:07 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

1. 86 is incubation temp, drop it down to 76 to fruit.
2.polyfil is surely superior, and tyvek is superior to polyfil. search for tyvek in the forums. there are already too many posts about it. The coffee filters i use as dust covers and not as actual air filters, and i cant imagine not using multiple filters if you tried to use it in place of polyfil or tyvek which i believe has been done succesfully.
3.the polyfil holes would do well, or extra fannings, anything to get more air exchange. but if youre doing cakes you would want less humidity.
4.if you have a verm layer then take the tape off and leave it off, the verm will block contams. if you dont have a verm layer then dont take the tape off at all as you will contam.
5.You have to fan it bc the co2 is heavy and falls to the bottom. just opening it wont do.

you need to read the grow guides and faq, and the other posts on these boards about this shit. i mean there have been a few about number 4 alone in the past 2 days.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation