Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Monistat

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblueferret
some guy

Loc: cow town
why would cakes smell like rubbing alcohol?
    #2385917 - 02/28/04 04:26 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Not sure If I should put this here or in the coffie topic in the advanced forum. My friends friend decided to give the coffee dunk he has been hearing about a try. He dunked two cakes in a mix of 1 cup weak coffee 4 cups water and some used grounds which he microwaved for 3min 3 times. He says the cakes look fine other then some brown he thinks staining from the coffee (qtip test, nothing rubed off and white seems to be coming back slowly), but they have a strong alcohol smell to them, like rubbing alcohol, when he opens the terrarium. He says it dissipates during fanning but is back the next time he open the terrarium. He used rubbing alcohol to sterilize jars etc but always rinses and never in enough quantity to give the cakes a smell. I couldn't find anything for him that would result in this any ideas as to why cakes would smell like rubbing alcohol??

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: why would cakes smell like rubbing alcohol? [Re: blueferret]
    #2386798 - 02/28/04 04:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The cakes may have a yeast infection, yeast produces alcohol, althought I'm not sure if that's the right diagnosis. But if your cakes are smelling anything different than the normal smell of mushrooms, there could be something nasty growing in it.

Offlineblueferret
some guy

Re: why would cakes smell like rubbing alcohol? [Re: biglo]
    #2388142 - 02/29/04 04:40 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They arnt my cakes so I only know what I am being told he says they dont smell sweet or bread like defiantly an alcohol smell. I have never smelled yeast on a cake before so I dont know what to tell him but would yest smell like rubbing alcohol? I could see it smelling like wine due to fermentation from yeast but hard alcohol is distilled not fermented doesnt seem like yeast would have that strong of a smell. He says he is gona let them go as they are showing sines of growth but has them isolated and will keep an eye on them. If anyone has ideas as to what it could be or could verify yeast please let me know though so I can tell him. Also could yeast hurt him if it was yeast and the cakes fruited?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2390742 - 03/01/04 12:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

See if they persist at all. What kind of substrate was he using? If he used BRF, what kind of BRF? Was it plain and organic? Or did it have additives? MAybe its a mixture of smells...

--------------------
What?

Offlineblueferret
some guy

Re: why would cakes smell like rubbing alcohol? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2391402 - 03/01/04 03:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I got a chance to take a look at them yesterday the smell had graduated from rubbing alcohol to a slight sweet smell followed by a mushi smell. The outsides of the cakes didnt seem to bad little brownish yellow that looked more like coffee stain then contam. But when I poked the cake with a fork it was a stinky sweet smell kinda like sweaty socks or B.O. I told him he should throw them out but he wanted to wait and see a bit longer so we grabbed a syringe and injected his cakes with a ton of 3% h2o2 which caused them to fizz from the inside. I'm pretty sure he has yeast and its prolly a lost cause seeing as I havent seen anything on how to kill yeast. I'll post something when I hear from him again maybe he will come out ahead who knows.

Offlineblueferret
some guy

#2391409 - 03/01/04 03:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

He used organic BRF from a health food store he bought it in bulk. His other jars are doing fine and are fruiting I'm preaty sure he just picked up yeast from the coffie grounds.

OfflineTriptastical77
We're Gonna BurnOne Down

#2400723 - 03/04/04 12:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

dunno if ur still curious but a lil info to add, im doin brf cakes, and on one of the cakes i have what i believe iz a contam, iz black, i smelt all the jars and the one i believe to have a contam had the same smell, of rubbing alc.... as the other healthy ones smelt normal.... so from that im assuming ones wit the rubbing alc. smell iz a sign of a contam, juz a lil info i thought id throw in

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Monistat

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum