Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
The Passion of Christ
    #2381335 - 02/26/04 11:46 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Since the other thread about this film was off to a rather cynical start, I figured we could start another. Moments ago, I arrived home from the movie theatre after taking in this excruciating and heavy film. I wish to discuss the film itself, and not the controversy surrounding the film's release.

First, if anyone has any sincere interest in spiritual living, definitely take in this film. It is a complete and concise synopsis of the example to follow as a spiritual human being. The example of Christ is one of unsurpassed devotion, unsurpassed compassion, indiscriminate love, even for those who tortured him so. The story of Christ, be it historical record or elaborate fable, absolutely examplifies spiritual life.

Often we think that spiritual living is about exploring so-called "higher conciousness", uncovering metaphyical plains, and grasping at experiences other than this world. We think that spiritual life involves entering an experience which is "better" than the one in which we presently abide. If this isn't our view, our tendency is to view spiritual life as little more than elaborately constructed self-delusion and willful ignorance. Neither of these views bring us any benefit.

True spiritual life -- that is to say, the spiritual life that brings us benefit -- is epitomized by the life which Christ has given us as his example. To shoulder such insurmountable suffering without breathing a word of contempt for his enemies, this is what it means to follow a spiritual path. To have the enlightened ability to remain within minds only of forgiveness and compassion while we are so severely wronged by others in their ignorance, this is what it means to follow the spiritual path.

We can see how these traits of Jesus are traits that come alongside the wisdom of his teachings, and that it's this uninterruptable, stainless compassion which shares threads with perfect wisdom. We can see how each religious system holds equanimity and love at it's core, and how each promises paradise, freedom from suffering that comes only with a sincere recognition. Before we can enter a spiritual life, we must first know what spiritual living is. The example of Christ shows us an ideal that all of us can strive toward as Christians, non-Christians, or practitioners of other faiths.

It has truly been a life-impacting film. My respect for sincere Christians, a few of which we are fortunate to have among us here, has deepened enormously.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Ped]
    #2381408 - 02/27/04 12:05 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

My respect for sincere Christians, a few of which we are fortunate to have among us here, has deepened enormously

Ped, how do you feel about jews after seeing the film? How were they portrayed, and what are your feelings toward them now?

--------------------

http://www.sacredshrooms.org

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: mabus]
    #2381480 - 02/27/04 12:29 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I don't wish to discuss the controvesy surrounding the film, but my personal view is that the Jews were no more misguided than all other human beings, even Jesus' most closest disciples. Jesus' eyes viewed them all as equally potentialled, equally precious. His words in the film, "Forgive them father, for they know not what they do" confirm this. It indicates that he held no hatred toward the Jews, and that there should be no hatred from Christians to Jews, or from Jews to Chrisitians. The Pharisees, in my view, represent a wayward sect of a then-degenerate school of Judaism. They had little else but self interest, and thus are not represantitives of any spiritual group or path. Each of them are now deceased and cannot be considered a representation of the present day Jewish people.

For this reason, any reaction against the film accusing it's producers of anti-semitism can only be an example of spiritual insecurity.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:

OfflineAstrok
Trying To BeCool

Loc: Bozeman, Montana
    #2381500 - 02/27/04 12:33 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Mabus, I dont wanna start an argument in this thread, but i think that you need to look at the bright part of this movie. Sounds like your with the other million people who just want to stir up a controversy. It isnt portraying Jews as being "bad" its just showing what happend back then. Plus, the sad ending isnt the "jews" killing Jesus Christ its the romans who completed the task. So all I'm asking is that you open your mind and not be immured to al the contreversy surrounding the film.

--------------------
"Light that shit"
"Smoke that shit"
"Pass that shit"

Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

#2381552 - 02/27/04 12:54 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Ped and Astrok.

--------------------

http://www.sacredshrooms.org

Offlinelostsuitcase
...missing

Loc: mid-air?
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Astrok]
    #2381882 - 02/27/04 03:42 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

"It isnt portraying Jews as being "bad" its just showing what happend back then."

what "happened"? ummmm.......okay.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#2381946 - 02/27/04 04:16 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Cant wait to see this movie!! I'll be going next week.  I'd see it sooner but I promised a girl I'd go with her. :sun:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2381954 - 02/27/04 04:22 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I can't wait to see this film.
Christ was a truly wise and awesome!
I have always had respect to any person who has found a religion that they are happy with and that makes them feel good, who is also respectful of my beliefs.

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Jenny]
    #2382170 - 02/27/04 08:41 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed.

Thanks for an interesting perspective, Ped!

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #2382615 - 02/27/04 11:51 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

The second comming of Christ is here.  He's back in ciniplex large screen format!  :lol:

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #2385392 - 02/28/04 12:51 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

:::2nd coming ::: inside:::

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

OfflineQuincunx
whisper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Slovenia
    #2386476 - 02/28/04 01:36 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thanx Ped for this thread and for your words. 5 Shrooms. :thumbup:

Quote:

True spiritual life -- that is to say, the spiritual life that brings us benefit -- is epitomized by the life which Christ has given us as his example.

Yes. Exactly. Before anyone would like to step on The Path, he or she must have in mind that there is no Enlightment without 100% sacrifice of his/her ego for those which did not yet became familiar with the love and compassion of The One Consciousness (aka God). Evil is not conquered with evil (it just makes it stronger) but only with love and compassion. Sacrificing yourself for those who hate and flame you is not an easy task but it's the ultimate and final step on The Path.

As for the controversy surrounding the film's release:
It is pointless to argue which present day religion or nation was responsibile for killing and torture of *THE* Master. We, the mankind, the human race did this to Him - nailed Him on the cross. Why? Because for what He did: He preached that we should love and understand eachother rather than hate and hurt eachother. And the mankind is still, after all those years doing the same - killing, torturing and poluting the planet. And of course... we still argue about who was responsibile for what we all did and still doing it - killing The Faith. Not just the Christian Faith but the faith in Love and Compassion on universal scale.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2387161 - 02/28/04 07:37 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I dont understand why people get so steamed up over WHO KILLED JESUS... if they realize that he needed to die to acomplish his "goal" why does it matter who killed him? They are actually the ones who helped him along his journey!!

Anyways, I saw the movie and I think mel put some pretty dumb stuff in there... like the overly fake splitting of the temple veil, which IMO was just in the texts symbolicly to show there was no curtain between god and the people, and that others then just the HIGH PRIEST could go to the company of god. Also, he made alot of assumptions and follwed the cookie cutter NIV versian story of Jesus... why dident he look into actuall history, find the most acurate texts, and base the movie off of them? TO make a fortune? you got it.

Thats beside the point though. I think the point here is that I have none.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2387853 - 02/29/04 01:26 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

>why dident he look into actuall history, find the most acurate texts, and base the movie off of them?
-If he followed accurate texts, many of the "miracles" in the movie would have been omitted. In other words, it wouldn't be a very long movie.

Offlinecrippledavenger
6th Venom

#2388331 - 02/29/04 07:53 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I'm really impressed by the way you expressed yourself Ped. I agree with you totally. I believe one of the messages behind the death of Jesus, is how worldly concerns,petty squabbles, and rivalries can blind us and cause us to hurt the good the innocent and the righteous. It is like to kids squabbling over who is going to look after a puppy, and after days of fighting they find that the puppy has died of starvation. When I think of Jesus I feel a bittersweet feeling, ashamed he was killed in this way, just for preaching a message of love and salvation. He knew he would have to suffer this way in order so people would be shamed in a good way, and see the world with new eyes.

Personally I was brought up by atheists, and my spiritual development started with self-help books, and then to new age stuff, then Buddhism and finally Christianity. I'm reluctant to call myself a Christian, because it always sounds like I belong to an exclusive club to which you, you and you are not invited because you have the wrong lifestyle the wrong background, the wrong beliefs. Instead I would say that I use the Christian message as my inspiration and comfort. Most of the time though I feel totally cut off from God, and am just wandering around in the dark, but I consider this quite normal and to be expected because I am quite lazy and don't put much effort in.

I urge anyone who uses mushrooms, to get a hymn book, ancient or modern or both and read one or two while you are tripping. Even if you are the most hardened cynic and atheists you cannot help but be moved by the sincerity and spiritual development of these hymn writers.

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2388335 - 02/29/04 08:10 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Why did Jesus have to die...This question puzzles me constantly, and from repeated reading of the texts I have come to the conclusion that he was just too 'over the top'...I mean if anyone would shake you out of a weary sleep and ask why you were not praying to avoid temptation, you'd think he was over the top too...He probably wanted to die to make us feel guilty which He certainly accomolished with many people...Still, it's easier to deal with Him when He's not around :wink:

just my 2 irreverent cents

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: castaway]
    #2388420 - 02/29/04 09:47 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

hy did Jesus have to die...

He was a man and all men die.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineAstrok
Trying To BeCool

Loc: Bozeman, Montana
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Swami]
    #2388634 - 02/29/04 12:26 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

If you knew much about religioun, then you would know that Jesus died to make it so our sins are possbile to forgive. You knew that it was Gods will for him to die, so that is why he died.

--------------------
"Light that shit"
"Smoke that shit"
"Pass that shit"

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: castaway]
    #2388744 - 02/29/04 01:29 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

>> Why did Jesus have to die...This question puzzles me constantly

Christ's death, in my opinion, served as an absolution of the equality of ordinary human beings. Had Jesus lived and died as a carpenter, gathering disciples and giving teachings, any man after his death would have the ability to exercise an arrogance claiming par with Jesus. The example of his life would be rather bland and flat. The crucifixion was the ultimate testament to the inpreturbable integrity of Jesus Christ. It clarified beyond doubt the devotion of Jesus Christ to the welfare and benefit of all. A standard was set which all have equal potential to meet. There are none greater, none lesser. All are equal under the example of Christ. With such level ground, we can follow his path without stumbling, without shame, and only with the utmost sincerity.

Jesus Christ, like others such as the Buddha, Krishna, and so forth, had a collossal experience of divine absorption very early in life. Such an experience can consume anyone at any time, and can be said to be much like falling in love. When it arrives with it's impact, there is no mistaking it. Sometimes it can arrive after extensive practice of meditation and spiritual discipline. Other times it arrives unannounced, and for no discernable reason at all. Upon consuming an individual, there comes an overwheling sense of warmth for our surroundings, and a love for the people who inhabit them. There is the perception of unity and interconnectedness, of the purity of each individual we encounter.

Jesus Christ had such an experience. In his time and place, the cultural context under which he had been raised afforded him the terminology "God the Father". Therfore, upon absorption in such divine experience, he said "I am the Son of God". If this terminology were not part of his background, he may have said of the Chinese, "it is the flowing of the Tao", or of the Hindu, "it is the revelation of Brahman." He was locked in the context of the surrounding religious institution. As a divine man trapped within the confines of flesh and bone, this was his limitation.

Without any other means to articulate his experience, his statement "I am the Son of God" was met with much aggitation. It was considered blasphemy by the established Jewish hierarchy, which held as one of it's core beliefs that no man was of the nature of God. As consequence of his supposed blasphemy, he was put to death on the cross. In the following decades, the Christian branch then grew out of the Jewish establishment, which at that time had political affiliation the looming and intimidating influence of the Roman empire. Keeping in line with their Jewish background, they adopted as one of their fundamental beliefs the notion that Jesus Christ was the only Son of God, and that there could be no other. Jesus Christ was therefore placed atop an unreachable pedestal, and Christianity was born.

Christ's placement aloof at the right hand of God has strangled the meaning of his life and example. As part of the traditional Christian theology, we are asked to accept no other individual but Christ has or will ever grace this earth truly akin to God. The rest of us are left absolutely estranged. Then, with this inflexible doctrine at the root of Christianity's spiritual foundation, we are commanded to take up our cross and follow Christ without any such unique advantage as being the actual son of God. We, who are told that we are innately imperfect and detached from God, are asked to follow the life and example of Jesus Christ, a man whose heart was perfectly kindred with the divine. With this approach, it is impossible to follow the example of Christ.

The result is that Christians are forced to admit such things as "I am a miserable sinner." "I've fallen far short of the grace of God." With this, Christianity institutionalized guilt as a virtue. In the subsequent centuries after Christ's departure, the now politically affiliated Christian institution delivered us an impossible gospel with shame at it's core, instead of hope and confidence. We are perpetually bound apart from unity with God. Therefore, we are trapped on the opposite side of a vast abyss between ourselves and the divine. We are unable to help ourselves. All we are able to do is confess our sins with the nagging knowledge that we are helpless but to commit them again. Our guilt only deepens with time, and we are bound with increasing tightness in all our harmful actions. This is not the gospel of Christ. The word "gospel" means "good news". Does this sound like good news?

This is not what Christ intended to become of his teachings, and of the example of his life. Nonetheless, it's this which is typically imparted over the pulpit. If we check carefully, however, we will find that Jesus Christ felt no absolution to his experience of the divine. He saw no cause to consider it an experience unique to himself alone. In fact, implicit in much of his teachings is that we are all inextricably linked to the divine.

"This I am, this me, is the divine in us." -- Jesus Christ
"The seed of Buddhahood is of the essential nature of mind." -- Buddha Shakyamuni

--------------------

OfflineGorian
Learning the artof Shroom

#2389096 - 02/29/04 04:15 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

How the hell does some "magic man" dieing wash away your sins?

--------------------

OfflineQuincunx
whisper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Slovenia
    #2389951 - 03/01/04 02:39 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

This is not what Christ intended to become of his teachings,

In fact, implicit in much of his teachings is that we are all inextricably linked to the divine.

Yes. We are all "sons of God" and linked to the Divine, it's just ppl don't realize it yet. And Christ left us a "map" on how to find the divine inside of us:

Cross = our body
Christ as embodiment of the Divine = our Ego/mind, the false idea of "I AM my body".

When we crucify our Ego/mind, only the Divine inside survives. But i notice this is the hard part for many people - to surrender your Ego and admit higher principles.

And this is all the secret. Build everything on love and compassion, live honest & happy life. Freeze your body, freeze your mind and with a little practice and true desire to be a part of The One Consciousness and with the Grace of it - the samadhi will pop up by itself.

OfflineFunguy
Homo SapiensEntheogenous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Muffy
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Gorian]
    #2390981 - 03/01/04 01:31 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Gorian said:
How the hell does some "magic man" dieing wash away your sins?

This will take some time to explain.
1.  Garden of Eden-  Adam and Eve ate the fruit frome the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.  This act was a sin, because God told them not to do it.  This act also introduced the knowledge of sin into the world.  Since Satan tricked them into doing it, he was given a greater punishment. 
Adam and Eve were expelled from Eden so that they could no longer eat from the Tree of Life (which gave them eternal life).  This was a blessing, imagine living forever in a world filled with sin. 
The first prophecy of Christ's coming was in Genesis 3
(This was directed toward Satan) "I will put emnity between you and the woman, and between your seed and hers; he will crush your head, and you will bruise his heel."  (this is LONG time before Jesus actually appeared on Earth).

Now foward to Exodus:
God resided in the Holy of Holies, where only the most High Priest could enter.  Before he could go in, he must cleanse himself.  If he were to sin while in the presence of God, he would be struck dead.  That is why the High Priest would tie bells around his ankles and a rope around his waist.  If the people outside could no longer hear the bells, they would pull his body out. 
God told Moses what should be done regarding sin.  The wages of sin is death, so something living must pay the price of sin.  Blood is shed for the sin offering, usually a ram or a bull.  It must be perfect in form, and its bones cannot be broken.  The blood shed washed the penalty of sin away.
While this was done quite often, there was also a yearly sin sacrifice. 

Forward to Jesus:
Jesus lived a sinless life, since only a perfect being could be offered for sacrifice.  Under Roman law, it was illegal to both severly scourge and crucify somebody at the same time.  The Passion goes nowhere near to the severity of the actual flogging.  The Roman soldiers were actually trying to expose organs.  Jesus had all of the power to stop the torture and vaporize the soldiers, but he did not.  While he was crucified, all of the sin of the world, present and future (inlcuding today and to come) was heaped upon him.  God cannot stand to be in the presence of sin, to he turned his back on Jesus.  That is the definition of Hell- the absence of God's presence.  Jesus was in Hell while he was on that cross.  When Jesus finally died, the veil covering the Holy of Holies was ripped from top to bottom.  Jesus paid the price of sin permanently so that we ALL can be with God.  Since the next day was Passover, the soldiers broke the legs of the other two criminals so they would suffocate faster and die.  Since Jesus was already dead, they did not break his legs.
The most important part, is the fact that Jesus rose from the dead three days later.  He was triumphant over death's hold.  He was seen by over 500 people before he went back into Heaven 40 days later.  If you research Roman records, it mentions Jesus's body "going missing" and there was a great hunt for it.  They never found it.

This was a free gift, one you can accept or reject. Nobody is forcing you, you come by your own accord as the spirit calls.  Thank you for listening. :heart:

--------------------

OTD UNDERDOGS

Is attention your retarded heroin?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Funguy]
    #2391153 - 03/01/04 02:23 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Hehe, Funguy, read Ped's reply he made, the last one he made. :thumbup:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFunguy
Homo SapiensEntheogenous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Muffy
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2391578 - 03/01/04 04:29 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I read it, but I was referring to Gorian's post. Remember, I was writing from my beliefs (Christian). He asked why does someone dying wash away our sins, so I explained it to him.

--------------------

OTD UNDERDOGS

Is attention your retarded heroin?

Offlinefalcon
Punked by drunks
 User Gallery

#2391608 - 03/01/04 04:41 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

he will crush your head, and you will bruise his heel.

I think it's reversed the serpent's head gets crushed and the woman's heel gets bruised.

--------------------
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I have done it before and it never has an effect on the true believer so what is the point?

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2391719 - 03/01/04 05:13 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

The reason people find Christian beliefs so offensive, I think, has less to do with the habit of Christian followers to thrust their beliefs upon others, and more to do with the plain assumption on the part of the Christian that his or her view, as handed to them over the pulpit, is absolutely and finally correct. Typically, that view is one which suggests that a life absent of absolute devotion to Christ is one condemned to eternal suffering. It is correctly perceived as an arrogance because this assumption is held as immediately superior to the differing views of others.

The claim that the actions of Christ created obligations of thought and behaviour which umbrella all human beings everywhere is by it's very nature an arrogant view, because it is an undue claim which, only because of it's weight, is always imparted in an overbearing manner. Since arrogance is a non-virtue, and since Christ was perfectly free of non-virtue, the arrogance assuming Christ to be an all-encompassing saviour is entirely self-defeating. Christ himself could not abide within such arrogance. Therefore, any Christian abiding within such arrogance has fundamentally departed the example of Christ.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2391729 - 03/01/04 05:17 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well phrased (as usual).  :thumbup:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#2397093 - 03/03/04 03:49 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I saw this tonight.  Excellent film, very gory though.  Not a typical date movie although she enjoyed it.  Really made me think, and at the end I'm a little less concerned about my own trivial problems.  At least, they are trivial compared to what Jesus went through.  And that devil kid totally creeped me out. 

DoctorJ's post kind of ties into this. 

Quote:

good men are punished because they are close to me. and I can take all the punishment any mortal can dish out. ...

those who aspire to be as I am must know what it is like. They must know how to do the right thing because it is the right thing, and for no other reason. They must be prepared to suffer for doing the right thing.

Here are some of my thoughts:
At the end when Jesus says "My God, Why hast thou forsaken me" he has finally split from God and dies a human.  The whole time when he had faith and was being tortured, he couldn't die, he wouldn't let himself.  And since God could not allow (or it is impossible) for a human to "be divine", God tested Jesus's faith until he finally broke.  Anyways I'm not a Christian so I don't know if that is valid or what.

Highly recommended, a spiritual film.  Not on my "want to see again" list tho.

:sun:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2397767 - 03/03/04 11:39 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Nice post, Ped.

That arrogance is exactly what irritates me about Christians. I've had this argument with several people, not just Frog, so don't anyone take it personally.

Why is that one particular religion correct, but not Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, etc.? My questions to the Christians I've discussed it with has always been "What makes you right? Why is everyone else wrong?"

I inevitably get the Bible answer, but why is that one book correct and others like the Koran aren't? I haven't gotten a good answer to that one yet.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Anonymous

Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: Renegade8]
    #2400316 - 03/03/04 10:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: ]
    #2400820 - 03/04/04 01:15 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

yeah why do christians feel so threatened by stupid things like gay marriage? how does it affect them? or are they just so insecure in their own faith that the very thought of someone not sharing their values erodes their faith in God?

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2400963 - 03/04/04 02:17 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

infidelGOD said:
or are they just so insecure in their own faith that the very thought of someone not sharing their values erodes their faith in God?

Bingo.
Batting 1,000 tonight, are we?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2402012 - 03/04/04 11:57 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I fail to see the connection between someone's insecurity and the claim that Christianity is the one true religion. Insisting that all the other religions in the world are wrong because your holy book says so is still arrogant no matter who you're talking to.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2402076 - 03/04/04 12:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms said:

I have learned a few things in the nearly 50 years I have spent studying on this planet.  I share very few of them.  I'll leave you to guess why.

~
~
"cast not your pearls before swine..." ?
:wink:
oink...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2407304 - 03/08/04 03:35 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I saw this movie yesterday and by the end of the movie, and to say I was moved would be an understatement. It brought home just how thoroughly Jesus was punished for us, if you assume that's what his death signifies.

As a Christian, I believe that Jesus is God's son and died on the cross for our sins, so that we could go to heaven. All the movies in the past that depict Christ's life don't spend much time on his death, except we know he gets whipped and nailed to the cross.

This movie went through every excruciating detail of how Jesus was punished, and it's horrible. What I learned from it is that God must have really loved us to allow this to happen to His son. And it made me want to be a better person. I was remembering how, in the bible, I think Romans, Paul talks about how could we continue to do wrong when we know how Christ died for us. By continuing to do wrong, his death is trivialized.

Also, it made me feel insignificant. I feel put out when I think someone is treating me badly. Putting aside for a moment the fact that Jesus believes he came here to die for our sins, he was tortured for insignificant trumped up "crimes", yet he continued to love people anyways and forgave them and asked God to forgive them. That truly is spirituality.

How small and petty it seems, now, to take offense at things people do or say that affect my "feelings" when Christ accepted the punishment he received without complaint and continued to love the very people who were punishing him and about to kill him.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSporeX
Criminal
Male

Loc: Dark side of the shroom
Re: The Passion of Christ [Re: crippledavenger]
    #2433836 - 03/15/04 05:21 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

The only thing I have against the jews back then is that they accepted him into their town, as a prophet, then they turn their back on him.  The Roman Gov.  even said he was washing his hands of this.  He gave them a choice to let a serial killer loose, or Jesus, and they chose to let the killer go.  That's pretty stupid.  The thing that I think is sad is that Jesus was a human, whether he was god, or not, they still tortured the fuck out of him.  I mean Jesus Christ!! :grin:  But at the end of the movie, I did kind of just sit there in the seats, and started to think.  It was a very moving movie, very emotional, and I did shed a tear or two  :crying:  I put myself in his sandals, and thought what it would be like to be nailed to a cross with your mother watching, and even some of your friends, watching, and saying I wasn't friends with him.  It kind of hits you right here :heart:  But that's just my take on it...

--------------------
Behold on the horizon a pale horse, and behind it hell followed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order