Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Loc: southern ca
shamanistic psychotherapists
    #2380429 - 02/26/04 06:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"A great psychotherapist to my mind would be a great shaman-- and there are some very good ones. I don't want to name names because I don't want to leave anyone feeling hurt. I admire transpersonal pychotherapists. I think they are trying to remake the shamanistic institution in a modern form." --Terence McKenna

Does anyone happen to know of any "transpersonal psychotherapists" as McKenna describes? Or any other non-mainstream, holistic, or spiritual psychotherapists and/or psychiatrists? Or maybe a directory listing of such therapists.

I'm not big on the so-called "therapy" I receive from my main-stream "therapists" who are always trying to force different chemicals down me. I understand that these chemical drugs work for some, but it's just not my cup of tea. I'm the natural, holistic, organic type. And does anyone know if insurance will cover such forms of therapy? I've thought about Reichian therapy, but I don't know what that would cost me, since I'm pretty positive my insurance would not cover an illegal form of therapy.

Hopefully someone here can help me with this.

--------------------
It may be best to not take anything I say too seriously because I surely don't. Anything I say may be subject to revision at any time by any person, place, thing, or catastrophic event. And please don't call me Shirley.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
Re: shamanistic psychotherapists [Re: temperance]
    #2381189 - 02/26/04 10:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

May I ask what your personal beliefs are?
I just wonder because as I have found healing spiritualy is by far the best therapy..it seemed to help me spirit-mind and even my body.

I dont know about what Terence was talking about.. but it sure sounds right.
shamans in the past healed all kinds of promblems.. I think I might want to do this :cool:

really it doesnt make since not to envolve matters of the spirit in therapy..huh ya got me thinkin

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Re: shamanistic psychotherapists [Re: shaggy101]
    #2381876 - 02/27/04 03:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

My beliefs are very open. I would say agnostic, though I tend to believe in some kind of spirit or eternal force that permeates all.

I've noticed that most mainstream therapy that I've gone through seems to focus more on boosting the self-esteem of the ego and making sure I am all well & dandy to retain the 9-5 work regimen. And that's just not for me. Maybe it's not all like this though. I'd rather just get down to real business, into the depths of my being, and really do some spiritually beneficial work. Possibly relieve blockages that I do not see. Maybe even get my creative energy at a nice flow, as opposed to working up the nerve to sit in a cubicle for my whole life and feeling the need to take meds just to do so. Does this make sense? I'm definitely not trying to offend anyone's choices in life or anything like that. It's just that my spiritual progression is just as important to me as my mental, emotional, and physical progression. Unfortunately, my "therapists" don't really help me progress with any of these though  :confused: :frown:.

Transpersonal psychotherapy sounds the absolute best to me, since (I would think) it works with the subtler energy bodies a great deal. Dictionary.com defines transpersonal as "Transcending or reaching beyond the personal or individual." While it seems to me that modern American psychology hardly recognizes anything but the "personal or individual."

Oh well, maybe I can just use magnetic energy increasing meditation or yoga to magnetize such a psychotherapist to myself :cool:.

--------------------
It may be best to not take anything I say too seriously because I surely don't. Anything I say may be subject to revision at any time by any person, place, thing, or catastrophic event. And please don't call me Shirley.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2382459 - 02/27/04 10:58 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

from google (searchwords: association transpersonal therapist)
www.atpweb.org

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Re: shamanistic psychotherapists [Re: gnrm23]
    #2383495 - 02/27/04 03:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks. That's a great website, but it doesn't really list any practitioners. And to receive "A copy of ATP's Listing of Professional Members," it's 175 bucks. But it's great to know something like this exists. I'll keep looking.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #2388275 - 02/29/04 06:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Pretty much thats the direction im going in life.

Its really weird that you started this thread.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2388843 - 02/29/04 02:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Re: shamanistic psychotherapists [Re: Xochitl]
    #2389309 - 02/29/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Haha yes, much like Hoffman in that vid.

--------------------

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Re: shamanistic psychotherapists [Re: PDU]
    #2389321 - 02/29/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Pretty much thats the direction im going in life.

You're aiming to become a shamanistic psychotherapist? That would be killer.

--------------------

Offlineshaggy101
Male

#2389617 - 02/29/04 11:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I like your name :laugh:

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Re: shamanistic psychotherapists [Re: shaggy101]
    #2389999 - 03/01/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks!  :grin:

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#2390025 - 03/01/04 03:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well since i was a child ive been raised exposed to many cultural traditions and whatever ... and was always fastcinated by shamanistic practices. When i was a young youth i experimented heavily with body modification/ritual practice and whatever ... and long before ever using drugs very much toyed with psychologically learned things such as emotion and sensation.

Anyways, when i was a depressed lump of teenager alienated from the world ... i wrote extensively of becomming an *urban shaman* (long before i ever heard of the store, or ethnobotanicals were the craze among 15 year olds)

I talked with a peer about having an apartment overlooking the ocean, and hosting *trips* or *retreats* or whatever ... wether they be solo, personal relations, or group ... and i would be the guide throughout the 2 or 3 day ordeal, where i would provide setting, and build up the mind set, be in control of diet, and record and work through the events with the people.

Anyways - that was just a silly dream for a kid who had no other knack in the world

After i found myself and whatever *read numerous other posts of mine for the background* I kinda found that my knack was a bit deeper than i thought ... The mind is my passion and i am eager to undergo rigerous schooling in psychology/psychiatry and endevour much furthur.

My role has kind of just fallen to me - i know too much for my own good and can take care of trippers and handle drug situations, people trust me because its kind of my life. I can connect with people on some unknown level, and i can make them think and help them figure out whats going on in their head and their trip. I dont know what it is, but what is easy for me is impossible for most - i can touch people, motivate them, and help them figure themselves out, and i leave them feeling great at the end.

Im a good guy to talk to.

Anyways, yeah, thats why i thought it was weird you started this thread, seeing as that is somewhat of my destiny.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineJameZTheNewbie
The Mahatma OfZalu

Loc: pass the gates of hell 2 ...
    #2390612 - 03/01/04 11:13 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

get a camp fire going brew some ayahuasca and let the gods guide you :sun: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Mice have feelings

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

#2391633 - 03/01/04 04:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well that sounds totally awesome. I wish you best of luck in your endeavors! Have you yet started schooling? Maybe I can PM/IM you sometime when I feel like I'm losing my mind :smile:.

--------------------

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Re: shamanistic psychotherapists [Re: JameZTheNewbie]
    #2391643 - 03/01/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

get a camp fire going brew some ayahuasca and let the gods guide you

That sounds like a brilliant idea  :sun: :cool:

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#2391947 - 03/01/04 06:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

temperance said:
Have you yet started schooling? Maybe I can PM/IM you sometime when I feel like I'm losing my mind :smile:.

Not officially - im still taking a couple years off, i need to do some things and make some $$ so i can prepare for Much more than an undergrad - and support myself without working through school. (anyways, that'll be a long story.)

However, i read university text books, and everything else for fun, and i dont really do anything besides contemplate and study people, and I would certainly say my time spent influencing people with situations and drugs has been an essential part of my education.

For the most part i want to focus on addiction - however there's so many other fields id like to concentrate in aswell, such as depression and PTSD and motivation ... blah blah blah.

Anyways id say im well underway in my academic career - It just not official yet.

Feel free to message me, i aint on much, and i aint a miracle worker, but i can do my best to help with whatever you bring me.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlineshaggy101
Male

#2400213 - 03/03/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Man, I have formed kinda a bad habit of only reading the short posts in threads.
PDU- that was really cool and good for me to read, thanks man.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Terrence McKenna

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being