Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Down with the USA
    #2380398 - 02/26/04 06:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

censorship in this country is out of control....free speech, a pliiar of democracy is being thrown out the window...prepare for the christian right wingers to turn us into a dictatorship.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Down with the USA [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #2380449 - 02/26/04 06:43 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The plier of democracy is the gun. Long live the gun.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #2380454 - 02/26/04 06:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I assume your talking about the campaign finance reform? Because that's the only abuse of free speech that has happened recently that I've seen.

Not sure what that has to do with Christian right wingers though.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Down with the USA [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2380489 - 02/26/04 06:57 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

no im talking about the FCC regulating the airwaves and calling people before congress....they even told howard stern he wasntallowed to criticize a congress woman..thats the stuff of communism

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #2380505 - 02/26/04 07:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

How about the fucking secret service coordinating with local police before G dubya visists anywhere, to establish "free speech zones?"

How about peaceful protesters being arrested and detained, without ANY charges being laid, simply to remove them from presidential presence?

How about BILLIONS of dollars spent propagandizing the public?

HOW ABOUT STEALING THE ELECTION!!!!

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#2380615 - 02/26/04 07:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The FCC or Clear Channel told Stern that?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#2380728 - 02/26/04 08:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

supposedly FCC

Anonymous

#2380769 - 02/26/04 08:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

what congresswoman?

what did he say about her? what did they tell him he wasn't allowed to say?

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Down with the USA [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2380820 - 02/26/04 08:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I had forgotten about the free speech zones. I'll give you that. I undestand the need for added security, and appropiate measure being taken, but some of the stories I've read about those are complete bullshit.

Touche.

Edit - My point was though that Clear Channel has the right to pull or limit anything one of their employees says on their network.

--------------------

Edited by HagbardCeline (02/26/04 09:00 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2380848 - 02/26/04 09:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think he got pulled from Clear Channel outlets, which is not everything he's on, because some jerk off didn't bleep something a caller said. Stern is a total retard but I don't think this one is him, it was his production company. And that IS him to Clear Channel.

--------------------

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
    #2380861 - 02/26/04 09:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Also there is the passage that was slipped into the Omnibus Bill by Istook that states any public transit authority will lose all funding if it sells advertising space to any group advocating change in drug laws...

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

Invisiblehawk
Stranger
    #2381307 - 02/26/04 11:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think everbody should join the save
the lion's foundation.

Edited by hawk (02/27/04 11:46 AM)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Down with the USA [Re: hawk]
    #2381680 - 02/27/04 02:32 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040225/255963_1.html
Quote:

Howard Stern Show Taken Off Clear Channel Stations
Wednesday February 25, 6:44 pm ET

SAN ANTONIO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 25, 2004--Clear Channel Radio has suspended the broadcast of Viacom's Howard Stern show, consistent with its Responsible Broadcasting Initiative announced earlier today. After assessing the content of yesterday's Howard Stern show, Clear Channel worked with local market managers to take swift and decisive action.

"Clear Channel drew a line in the sand today with regard to protecting our listeners from indecent content and Howard Stern's show blew right through it," said John Hogan, president and CEO of Clear Channel Radio. "It was vulgar, offensive, and insulting, not just to women and African Americans but to anyone with a sense of common decency. We will not air Howard Stern on Clear Channel stations until we are assured that his show will conform to acceptable standards of responsible broadcasting," Hogan said.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#2383867 - 02/27/04 05:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

After looking into this, everything I've found indicates it was only Clear Channel that warned him about blasting the Congresswoman. That has absolutely zero to do with free speech.

And what he was said had to be mostly bleeped as he got really personal, even saying things about her kid.

The FCC has been given the power to regulate public airwaves, and the public has the right to dictate what it considers decent.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2383942 - 02/27/04 06:00 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Pretty soon only one company will own all forms of media. That way they can completely cencor everything.

That'll be fine because they own everything, right?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Brass Toads - In The Back Of My Mind

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Down with the USA [Re: Learyfan]
    #2383991 - 02/27/04 06:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

One company will never own all media outlets.

But the point is, a company has a right to dictate what goes out on their respective forms.

--------------------

Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

Re: Down with the USA [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2384019 - 02/27/04 06:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The plier of democracy is the gun. Long live the gun.

The instant smileys are ready to join you in the fight!

--------------------

http://www.sacredshrooms.org

Anonymous

#2384417 - 02/27/04 07:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ah. it now appears that this isn't a case of censorship after all. i have to say that i'm not surprised.

EDIT: nevermind. scratch that. this does look like censorship. good old fashioned american censorship of the "obscene":

"It was the second time in two weeks that the House Energy and Commerce telecommunications subcommittee queried broadcasters about indecency. The first hearing came on the heels of the notorious Super Bowl halftime show that ended with singer Justin Timberlake exposing Janet Jackson's right breast to 90 million viewers

"Networks are being proactive in the efforts to clean up the airwaves," said subcommittee chairman Fred Upton, R-Mich., who has sponsored legislation to increase the maximum fine for indecency from $27,500 to $275,000.

Several broadcasters endorsed the higher fines. John Hogan, president Clear Channel Radio, said the move would "serve as a 'shot across the bow' of the industry, putting us all on notice that Congress and the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) are serious about cleaning up the airwaves."

Federal law bars radio stations and over-the-air television channels from airing material that refers to sexual and excretory functions between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children may be tuning in. The rules do not apply to cable and satellite channels and satellite radio.

FCC Chairman Michael Powell and other members of the FCC have criticized radio and TV network executives for not doing more to police the airwaves. They have warned executives they will face greater scrutiny and more fines if they fail to act.

The most dramatic response came from the nation's largest radio chain, 1,200-station Clear Channel Communications. This week it fired the disc jockey known as "Bubba the Love Sponge," took the Stern show off the six stations it owns and outlined new standards that include immediately suspending any on-air talent accused of airing indecent material by the FCC. "

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-ap-indecent-programming,0,3200212.story?coll=chi-news-hed

... but i'm still wondering who told stern he could criticize a congresswoman, which congresswoman she is, and what he was told he couldn't say...

Edited by mushmaster (02/27/04 07:45 PM)

Anonymous

#2384452 - 02/27/04 07:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

But the point is, a company has a right to dictate what goes out on their respective forms.

yeah, that's what i was thinking when i read this... but it does look like this is a case of that right being violated.  :thumbdown: to the fcc.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Down with the USA [Re: ]
    #2384552 - 02/27/04 08:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I see it this way.

FCC grants liscenses to the radio station to use the public airwaves. Since they belong to the public, don't they (the public) have the right to dictate what is considered obscene within reason. If these people don't want their children or themselves being exposed to this, I think that is a valid reason for limiting explicit material.

Here is one of the articles I found about it.

Quote:

Paige McKenzie, NewsMax.com
Friday, Feb. 27, 2004
Howard Stern could be creating real enemies in Congress.
After Rep. Heather Wilson, R-N.M., blasted Viacom President Mel Karmazin last week at a congressional hearing over the Janet Jackson halftime incident, America?s No. 1 radio shock jock pitched a fit at Wilson for lambasting his boss.

Viacom's empire includes CBS, MTV and Infinity Broadcasting. Infinity syndicates Stern?s radio show, whose antics feature such fare as "small penis" contests.

Unleashing an onslaught of obscenities, unfit to print here, at Wilson over the airwaves, Stern branded the congresswoman a fake, a despicable hypocrite and a communist.

Wilson is the co-sponsor of H.R. 3717, a bill called the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act of 2004, and has introduced an amendment this bill to strengthen the penalties for broadcast indecency.

The act would increase fines for indecency to 10 times what they are now. The amendment would allow violations to be a factor in renewal of licenses.

Stern also mocked Wilson?s concern for her fourth-grade son, who saw the infamous Super Bowl halftime show, and attacked her voting record on gun rights and the environment, and her acceptance of money from some political action committees.

Then he got personal with his insults, most of which were bleeped, to Stern?s dismay.

Stern: 'Take Me off the Air'

?Wow. My god. Anything funny is bleeped,? complained Stern. ?It?s so aggravating. I?m so drained. I wish the FCC would take me off the air. How are they going to take me off the air if Tom keeps hitting the button??

Stern then said that he would like to go to court over the bleeped language and that he would win.

Now at least part of his wish is coming true.

Just one day after announcing a new ?zero tolerance? policy on obscenity, Clear Channel Radio has dropped Stern?s nationally syndicated show from its six stations that carried it.

Two days before the network fired Florida radio host "Bubba the Love Sponge," whose raunchy show prompted a $755,000 by the FCC in January.

Clear Channel said its action on Stern was prompted by a comment that was ?vulgar, offensive and insulting, not just to women and African-Americans, but to anyone with a sense of common decency.?

?Clear Channel drew a line in the sand today with regard to protecting our listeners from indecent content, and Howard Stern?s show blew right through it,? said Clear Channel President John Hogan.

Granted, it?s only six stations. But fans and foes of Stern will be watching to see if Infinity or other networks follow Clear Channel?s example.

Rep. Wilson Tells NewsMax Her Reasons

Wilson?s outrage in blasting Karmazin during a congressional hearing last week was widely reported, but the reason was not.

Aside from her concern for her son, she said that Karmazin ?just didn?t get it.?

In an interview with NewsMax, the congresswoman said: ?I think the NFL gets it. But Mr. Karmazin just didn?t understand how inappropriate it [the halftime show] was. The NFL, in answer to a question, said that players who use profanity on the air get fined. Someone asked Mr. Karmazin, ?What happens to your people?? to which he responded, ?We fire them.??

But Karmazin, when asked what action he took in response to the halftime show, admitted, ?We didn?t fire anybody,? Wilson said.

?I asked, ?Who was your producer, your choreographer?? He didn?t even know who the producer was, which told me he wasn?t taking this seriously at all. If in my company I had a disaster that bad, you can bet I would have that producer in front of me at least long enough to tell him to clean out his desk.?

At the hearing Rep. Christopher Cox, R-Calif., aimed his own attack at the broadcast industry: ?We defend your right to cuss and run around with forest animals, but don?t impose it on others.?

Karmazin promptly blasted executives of Infinity?s 180 radio stations, including Stern?s, and said they would be fired if they violated the new zero-tolerance policy on obscenity.

?Don?t screw up,? Karmazin warned. ?If you don?t comply, you?ll be fired for cause. This company won?t be a poster child for indecency.?

A number of other Infinity radio shows had already been canceled, fined or suspended before Clear Channel dropped Stern.

Stern has not yet responded to a request from NewsMax for comment.

When asked about Stern?s fit, Wilson?s only comment was, ?I?ve never heard the show.?

Everything else I found made me believe it was Clear Channel and only Clear Channel that warned Stern. It seems to me more so because she is the one contemplating larger fines, and the don't want her provoked. They also want to appear to have a handle on the situation themselves to possibly avoid having more government regulation. Irregardless, they can tell him what he can and can't say. Though, if he were only to criticize her politics without being obscene, I would think it unfair of them to order him to desist.

Censorship yes. Free speech violations? I say no.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion