Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Paul Stamets, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMister Black
smokes pot

Coir / Pith ?
    #2379865 - 02/26/04 03:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Is this stuff the same as coir or a reasonable substitute? Its cheaper than reptile bedding at the pet store but I don?t know if I?ve ever heard of pith as a hydrating medium for casings.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Mushie muncher

Re: Coir / Pith ? [Re: Mister Black]
    #2379874 - 02/26/04 03:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have heard of coir refered to as pith before that should work just fine

Fire Shaman

Re: Coir / Pith ? [Re: AmazonMatt]
    #9718758 - 02/01/09 07:42 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

So I was researching coir because reading is about all I can do till the snow melt and I can start making some real money again to start mycology and I like to have a holistic perspective on what I'm doing in general.

I found this:

Quoting relevant section here:

By weight, coir fibers account for about one-third of the coconut pulp. The other two-thirds, the coir pith (also known as coir dust), has generally been considered a useless waste material. Although it is biodegradable, it takes 20 years to decompose. Millions of tons sit in huge piles in India and Sri Lanka. During the last half of the 1980s, researchers successfully developed processes to transform coir pith into a mulching, soil treatment, and hydroponic (without soil) growth medium that is used as an alternative to such materials as peat moss and vermiculite. Before being compressed into briquettes for sale, the coir pith is partially decomposed through the action of certain microbes and fungi. An Australian company has also recently begun turning coir pith into an absorbent product used to remediate oil spills.

The retting process used in coir fiber production generates significant water pollution. Among the major organic pollutants are pectin, pectosan, fat, tannin, toxic polyphenols, and several types of bacteria including salmonella. Scientists are experimenting with treatment options, and at least one coir manufacturing company claims to be treating its effluent water.

So it occured to me to see what discussion on this had taken place and this is the only thing I came up with on the board so I decided to resurrect this thread versus creating a new one for several reasons including; to point out this was all I found, that I did search, conserve on server space, and clarify the original answer a little bit however late in coming I am.

That said, it occurs to to wonder if there really is much difference, as far as mycology is concerned between coir and coir pith.

So I have several more questions on this and a few propositions.

Q1) Has anyone used pith and with what results?
Q2) Does anyone know of nutritional/ph differences that would affect the use of pith, if so, how might those be countered/compensated for?
Q3) Since coir is used for bulk substrates, as such is pasteurised instead of sterilised, do any of the above pose a hazard to growth?

Q4) From a brief bit of research I've done it seems I'm not the first to consider this.

So, it is being done.  Aren't oysters awesome?  I don't doubt this stems back to Stamets somehow.  I'm trying to dig up some stats on the current level of coir production pollution from pith but it seems that it is relatively well handled now.

So the real question is if we as shroomerites would be effectively be more environmentally friendly by using pith instead of coir.

Q5-Series If so it seems that we want coir pith and not the stuff they have already composted with mushrooms.  What would be effective sources?  Is it economically viable to use pith over coir for those of us in the US/uk/Ca etc. and at a distance from the pith.  What are the problems in shipping pre-decomposed pith?

Setting all that aside for a moment.

What companies are involved in coir production and might we contact them to have some of these questions answered?

This is something I plan to investigate personally.  Lets say I contact a company and get some answers.

What I'm really asking Shroomerites

Would Shroomerites be actively interested in using pith if it turns out we as a community can do something to 'help'?

It is an if and of course would be dependant on many variables, namely that there is a 'problem' that we could contribute a 'solution' to.  I just want to get a feel for expressed interest.  Once some answers are had to the many questions we can discuss methods, viability, economics, etc.

Of course, if you have any answers, information, etc. feel free to chip in!  This may in fact be, a non-issue.

This is a test. Just keep on going. Don't worry. We'll get it right. We've done this before.

D-O-L-E Dole

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: Coir / Pith ? [Re: Chakravanti]
    #9718907 - 02/01/09 08:15 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

This sounds an awful like coir, I mean what if it just the name? I mean before they started to find a use for it, coir was indeed just piling up, which agrees with the above stated. SO I think it is just the name for our purposes. I mean I think there is a slight difference of what part of the husk it comes from, but it doesn't sound that different.

I mean searching around hydroponic sites seems to turn up the result that both are used the same way, since it is so similar.

Stealth Lighting 
Cubensis benefits beyond cluster headaches
Mush Extract! (You can even use Vinegar!)
Flame your needle in style with a sexy mini butane torch
What happens in the Romper Room, stays in the Romper Room.
All posts are written by the sex deprived helper monkey Curious George.

Fire Shaman

Re: Coir / Pith ? [Re: Lennyk]
    #9719901 - 02/01/09 11:49 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Yes that's the difficulty I am having.  The firts link I provided explains what Pith is well.  But when I go shopping for it it's soo hard to tell what's coir, what's pith, and if it's decomposed pith or not.

This is a test. Just keep on going. Don't worry. We'll get it right. We've done this before.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Paul Stamets, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation