Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGoomashroom
Shabashoo
Mushrooms growing down (picture!)
    #2379419 - 02/26/04 01:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hi everybody,

This guy I know is growing shrooms for his first time using the PF Cake Tek. So far, everything is going great: he has full colonization on 11 of 12 jars, no contaminations, and 4 of the cakes are just starting to fruit. His terrarium is a rubbermaid tub w/ opaque sides and a white lid. Moist perlite is lined along the bottom (RH is around 97-99%), and the cakes are sitting on two wire mesh "tables". So his question actually has two parts...

a) One of cakes has shrooms fruiting out of the side/bottom... some of them are coming out sideways, but a couple are growing through the wiremesh and straight into the perlite! He realizes now he should have set the cakes on a piece of foil or something so that they wouldn't pin underneath from the reflection off the perlite, right? So what should he do? Pull the cake off of the shrooms that are stuck in the wire mesh? Or just leave it be? He's afraid the cake might get waterlogged if he does.

b) Most of the shrooms are growing relatively upward, but a couple are just sticking straight out of the side and he's afraid that when more cakes start fruiting, there's not gonna be enough room in there. Does anybody recommend that this guy I know duct tapes the sides of his fruiting chamber and puts a light above it? Or is this not really something to worry about? Also, would it be enough light through the thin white lid or should he cut holes in it and put transparent stuff across them?

Thanks a lot for the replies,
I've got a bunch of great pictures, too, so look for a grow log that I'll be posting of my friend's first grow.
Goomashroom

Edited by Goomashroom (02/26/04 07:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: Mushrooms growing down [Re: Goomashroom]
    #2379586 - 02/26/04 02:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

at least the duct tape! a light on for a little every here and there daily would be good too...

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation