Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Hemp, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land?
    #23777362 - 10/27/16 06:24 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

http://modernfarmer.com/2016/10/uss-first-industrial-hemp-farms-native-american-land/

Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land?

By Dan Nosowitz on October 25, 2016

via Flickr user Marc Fuya

Thanks to weird federal laws about hemp, the versatile crop has yet to be farmed on a large scale.

Reuters reports that the Navajo Nation, which holds the largest Native American territory in the US, is in talks to begin producing industrial hemp.

Hemp, an herbaceous plant whose uses range from oils to edible protein-rich seeds to textiles, has long been mired in the weirdness of drug policy in the US, thanks to its status as a close cousin of the marijuana plant. From 1970 until 2014, the crop—which contains so little THC, the psychoactive substance in marijuana, as to be meaningless—was firmly illegal to grow in the US. This despite hemp products being perfectly legal themselves, hence a whopping $250 per acre price for hemp grown in Canada (for comparison, at the time, soy was worth about $71 per acre).

Hemp was officially removed from the federal registry of banned substances in 2014, but most states have still banned it (among the states where it’s legal are California, Colorado, and Vermont). Even now, after a few farms (mostly non-Native) have begun farming and harvesting hemp, the legal situation is so confusing that large-scale agriculture of the crop has yet to take off.

But the rules are different on Native American land, owing to their status as legally separate from the United States. Also in 2014, a bill allowed Native American tribes to set their own cannabis-related laws, the same way states can. The comparatively smaller size of Native American lands and lesser burdens of red tape enable Native American tribes to get industrial hemp production moving much more quickly than states can.

This deal is being worked out between the Navajo Nation—a big clump of land around the three-way border of Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah—and CannaNative, a Native-American-owned business that helps Native American farmers get ramped up for production of hemp and other cannabis products. The first farms will likely be set in those three states (Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico), and tribal leaders are enthusiastic about the possibility of a high-value, local agriculture product that has a proven demand and can’t easily be farmed elsewhere.

“The industrial hemp project could probably overtake Indian gaming, not only in terms of employment but also in terms of revenue to the Navajo,” Al Henderson, a senior Navajo economic adviser, told Reuters.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Admin
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land? [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #23778558 - 10/27/16 11:49 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Why not grow cannabis and use the stalks as hemp cord?  You know, use the entire plant..

Oh yeah, white people are fucking stupid.  Plant a seed and harvest, that confuses them.  They get lost when it comes to logic.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Re: Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land? [Re: Amanita86] * 1
    #23778587 - 10/28/16 12:00 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Why not grow cannabis and use the stalks as hemp cord?  You know, use the entire plant..

Oh yeah, white people are fucking stupid.  Plant a seed and harvest, that confuses them.  They get lost when it comes to logic.

Hemp needs to be harvested at a certain ripeness to make the best fibers. If you grew out to totally finish flowering you couldn't make fabric. You could still get the oil seed though, and the stalks would still be good for pulp but not for fiber.

--------------------

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Edited by Ellis Dee (10/28/16 12:11 AM)

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land? [Re: Amanita86]
    #23780059 - 10/28/16 03:31 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:

Quote:

U ever been on a rez?its not white ppl that r stupid

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Offlinedurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Re: Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land? [Re: 5150]
    #23783249 - 10/29/16 07:21 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Can't other people be autonomous, too?

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Admin
 User Gallery

Re: Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land? [Re: 5150]
    #23786828 - 10/30/16 10:40 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I've never lived on a rez, been on a few.  I retract my statement and agree stupid transcends race, religion, species, the 9.  I stand corrected. :peace:

--------------------

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Admin
 User Gallery

Re: Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land? [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #23786867 - 10/30/16 10:51 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ellis Dee said:
Quote:

Amanita86 said:

Hemp needs to be harvested at a certain ripeness to make the best fibers. If you grew out to totally finish flowering you couldn't make fabric. You could still get the oil seed though, and the stalks would still be good for pulp but not for fiber.

I did not know this either.  I genuinely appreciate you being smarter than me in the aformentioned subject.. 

I reckoned the older stalk would make stronger fibers once soaked in water for a minute.  Maybe they get to brittle and you want them when they're young and whole/strong/hydrated. It makes sense you know:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Re: Could The US’s First Industrial Hemp Farms Be On Native American Land? [Re: Amanita86]
    #23787298 - 10/31/16 02:06 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Quote:

Ellis Dee said:
Quote:

Amanita86 said:

I did not know this either.  I genuinely appreciate you being smarter than me in the aformentioned subject.. 

I reckoned the older stalk would make stronger fibers once soaked in water for a minute.  Maybe they get to brittle and you want them when they're young and whole/strong/hydrated. It makes sense you know:shrug:

I guess the hemp gets woody when fully mature.

Here's a great little video called Hemp For Victory from the US government urging farmers to grow hemp and how to grow it.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Hemp, Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service