Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJameZTheNewbie
The Mahatma OfZalu

Loc: pass the gates of hell 2 ...
hydrogen producing bacteria
    #2378334 - 02/26/04 08:15 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

anyone know anything about this....cant this make hydrogen for cars?

Biological Production
of Hydrogen Fuel

"These hydrogen-producing bacteria are everywhere. You go outside, grab a bucket of soil, and they're there. You don't need some specialized bacterium or genetically engineered bacterium in some science professor's lab."
Bruce E. Logan
Pennsylvania State University
State College, Pennsylvania
A Cheap, Unlimited Hydrogen Production Method For the Third World Is Discovered

Hydrogen: The Next Generation
by Jessica Gorman Science News

The researchers found they could easily segregate hydrogen generating bacteria from those that consume hydrogen. When they heated some ordinary soil-taken from a local tomato plot for 2 hours at a temperature just above water's boiling point, the hydrogen-consuming microbes died off. However, bacteria that generate hydrogen survived because they can form heat-resistant spores.
The researchers then mixed the tomato-plot dirt in an enclosed reactor with sugar water to represent wastewater from a food-production plant. It looked like "dirty river water," says Logan, but the concoction generated gas that was about 60 percent hydrogen.
Logan and his coworkers also found that similar fermentation experiments done by other research groups probably had unwittingly hindered hydrogen generation. Those researchers had collected hydrogen from their reactors only intermittently rather than continuously as Logan's group had done. Letting the gas build up seems to suppress hydrogen production, says Logan. Culling it continuously from a reactor yields 43 percent more hydrogen.
Although Logan and his coworkers haven't yet completed studies on actual wastewaters from food manufacturers, Logan says his tearn's preliminary results indicate that common sugar or starch-bearing wastewaters can be used to generate hydrogen in this rather simple way. What's more, he says, this kind of biological method - which relies on bacteria and sugar - or starch-rich crops - has an advantage over, say, algae-based production, because it doesn't require large ponds for collecting the sunlight that drives the hydrogen-generating chemistry.
-- October 12, 2002

--------------------
Mice have feelings

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: hydrogen producing bacteria [Re: JameZTheNewbie]
    #2380327 - 02/26/04 06:18 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i think it would be extremely ineficient...electrolosys seems to be the best way to make hydrogen for cars...i'm not too sure but i rememeber reading that iceland is run on 90% hydrogen...everything from homes to buses...see how they make their hydrogen, and that's probably the way that most people will go.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: hydrogen producing bacteria [Re: llamaboy]
    #2380568 - 02/26/04 07:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Please tell me you're joking
How can hydrogen from wastewater be "extremely efficient"?

Offlinellamaboy

Re: hydrogen producing bacteria [Re: zeta]
    #2381092 - 02/26/04 10:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

uh, i said "extremely inefficient"...

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#2381458 - 02/27/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah that's what I meant.. how can hydrogen from wastewater be "extremely inefficient"?
Something from nothing = extemely efficient

Offlinellamaboy

Re: hydrogen producing bacteria [Re: zeta]
    #2385369 - 02/28/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

it would be an ineficeint means because, well how the hell are are you going to harness this hydrogen...granted it is an efficient method of making hydrogen, but not for mass production. think of the size of the pond that you would have to create to make a usable amount of hydrogen. whereas you can take salt water, use electrolysis, and get much much more hydrogen. any place that has water, sun, wind, nuclear, or hydroelectric power can use this method. how many ponds do you think it would take to power a fuel cell car...look and see how iceland gets their hydrogen...that's prolly THE most effecient method of getting hydrogen...of course i think they sit on a geothermal something or other that prodcues their hydrogen. something from nothing doesn't always mean efficient in terms of practicle use.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4216454 - 05/24/05 11:43 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Electrolysis is very inefficient. It takes a huge amount of energy to crack water.

--------------------

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4221439 - 05/26/05 06:17 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

llamaboy said:
i'm not too sure but i rememeber reading that iceland is run on 90% hydrogen...everything from homes to buses...see how they make their hydrogen, and that's probably the way that most people will go.

I don't know about the actual amount of hydrogen used in Iceland, but it is not very significant at this point.  In Iceland, they heat their buildings with geothermal energy and produce electricity for homes and industry from hydroelectric and geothermal sources.  Almost all of the energy used there comes from renewable natural resources.  It is practically free.

Iceland is the largest per capita producer of aluminum in the world even though they don't mine ore locally--it's actually cheaper to ship the aluminum ore to Iceland for processing (aluminum is produced from bauxite by electrolysis) than to do it in a more easily accessed location.

Unfortunately though, it isn't possible for the rest of the world to follow Iceland's lead since most of the Earth's surface isn't covered as densely with streams from glacial runoff and geothermal activity.  Iceland is currently (2003) only utilizing 17% of it's hydroelectric reserves whereas other western countries are using over 70% so there's no use in thinking we can catch up.

Well, I just noticed this has nothing to do with the topic.  It was interesting though, right?  :grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology