Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca
    #23781410 - 10/28/16 10:00 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_ca/read/millennials-on-spirit-quests-are-ruining-everything-about-ayahuasca

This is the second of three dispatches from the 2016 World Ayahuasca Conference in Rio Branco, Brazil. The first one can be found here.

From Brooklyn to Australia, there’s a growing demand for ayahuasca, a tribal, hallucinogenic tea said to have both spiritual and curative properties. But, like any globalization fairy tale, the world’s embrace is threatening to suffocate the tradition at its source.

“The sacred art of Indians has been transformed into entertainment,” said Moises Pianko, a member of the Ashaninka tribe of northern Brazil.

The herbal tea, made by combining a rare vine and shrub found in the thick of the Amazon, has become the “it” drug for celebrities like Sting and Lindsay Lohan, who rave about its spiritual properties. But for the Amazonian tribes that have used ayahuasca for 5,000 years to communicate with God on matters ranging from politics to medicine, the trend is dangerous.
Sudden local and international demand for the brew has put the ayahuasca vine used to make the tea at risk of eradication in parts of Peru, and tripled its price in the last seven years to $250 a liter. The vine is almost impossible to plant, as it only thrives in the thick of the jungle and takes four years to grow, so the natural reserves are limited.

Meanwhile, several centers popping up around the world are freely offering ayahuasca with little regard to the safety of its users or the sacredness of the tea, according to tribal leaders.

“Ayahuasca is no joke. The white man wants to patent our ritual, to use it as one more way to make money, but the spiritual world is not for sale,” Pianko said.

The ayahuasca tourism industry says otherwise. An estimated 40 therapeutic retreats around the world now specialize in ayahuasca, according to Carlos Suarez, an independent researcher who writes about economic development and cultural change in the Amazon. These centers host more than 4,000 people a year and charge up to $400 a night. Some also offer mud baths, yoga sessions and excursions to Machu Picchu.

"The white man wants to patent our ritual, to use it as one more way to make money, but the spiritual world is not for sale."

Andy Metcalfe, who owns and operates the Gaia Tree center, an ayahuasca retreat in Iquitos, Peru, said the days when the tea was exclusively brewed by tribes are long gone. “It has outgrown the original tribal origins,” he told me, adding that most shamen in the region are no longer directly affiliated with tribes. “At the end the day, ayahuasca comes from nature. I don’t believe in people owning or controlling nature.”

For those who can’t afford a week-long retreat, a cup of ayahuasca is just a click away. The tea sells on Facebook Marketplace and do-it-yourself kits are available for $300. But as the drug’s popularity balloons around the world, quality control is challenging. Brewed incorrectly or combined with other drugs, ayahuasca can be deadly.

In 2012, Kyle Nolan, an 18-year-old from Northern California died in Peru from what authorities believe was an ayahuasca overdose. Henry Miller, a 19-year-old gap year student from Britain suffered a similar fate after having an allergic reaction to the drug. There are also growing reports of predatory shamen raping and sexually assaulting women who drink ayahuasca.

Tribes worry whether they’ll continue to have access to the tea if ayahuasca goes the way of cocaine, which was used by the Incas to counter altitude sickness before erupting into the global marketplace as an illegal drug.

“If there is a problem with ayahuasca, it will be banned, it will be condemned, and what’s going to happen to us indigenous people?,” said Jose de Lima of the Kaxinawa tribe. “Imagine if our medicine is banned? Are we going to have to rely on a pharmacy? No, we want to rely on our living pharmacy, the forest.”

But some researchers see the global commercialization of ayahuasca as inevitable, and think the tribes should focus on getting a cut of profits.

"We want to rely on our living pharmacy, the forest."

“Commercialization is a fact. Ayahuasca is coming to the world, and the world is coming to ayahuasca,” said Suarez. “In the indigenous world, the only people who can monetize a traditional activity are the shamen. Why shouldn’t they benefit from the system as well?”

Some tribes want to get on board, but demand for ayahuasca is surging too fast to keep up. Today, the majority of profits originate from independent centers that claim loose affiliations with local tribes.

“We cannot say ayahuasca is ours, because we don’t have a patent. But we want to commercialize it on our terms. We want people to come to our land and do it properly,” said Lurino Pequeno de Souza, a 26-year-old member of the Katukina tribe. “There are several shamen conducting ceremonies without an ounce of knowledge and tricking the white man.”

Until then, the rush for ayahuasca has tribes questioning the sustainability of their own ceremonies. Because extraction of the plant is largely unregulated, foresters have found that amature ayahuasca brewers wandering the jungle often cut off a piece of the rare vine and leave the rest to rest rot. Finding the once abundant vine in Peru’s Iquitos region, where most centers are located, now takes days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGPryder
Stranger

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: tdubz]
    #23781508 - 10/28/16 10:48 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tdubz said:
"The white man wants to patent our ritual, to use it as one more way to make money, but the spiritual world is not for sale."

This sounds like what is actually ruining ayahuasca, not "millennials", who seem to be getting blamed for virtually everything negative going on in the world lately which is getting old quick. "White men on money quests are ruining everything about ayahuasca" probably wouldn't get as many clicks and shares I guess.

--------------------

Check out my first grow log. Completed successfully!
Experienced: Weed, LSD, Mushrooms, DOC, DXM, MDMA, DMT, 1P-LSD, AL-LAD, ALD-52, 4-HO-MET, 4-HO-MiPT 4-ACO-DMT
Interested in: Ketamine, MDA. 

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: GPryder]
    #23782032 - 10/29/16 08:22 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

So someone's spirit quest is now superior than someone else's, that sounds fucked up in itself.

Modern society is to blame which has cause a great divide among the classes and caused many people young and old to feel a loss of connection with life. Most religions are a sham and laws have restricted psychedelic use which was once socially acceptable and used in a community setting.

So where do ya turn brah? Guess the mlillenials are sucking the life out of the world. I am not a Millenial, but could care less if I was and people were trying to slap a label on me.

Trip on y'all :awedance::sunny::trippinbawelz::havesomescience:

--------------------
:dancingbear:

SonicTitan said:
"Id rail the same amount of come to crack"

https://soundcloud.com/matty_dread

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShrillGoldenChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: tealeaf]
    #23782255 - 10/29/16 10:18 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

More victims of the war on drugs. Like any plant or mushroom the active ingredients could be synthesized without putting the jungle and the first nation people's religion at risk. Prohibition is the cause of these problems not the younger generation. BTW millennials are the new hippies because old people are jealous of youth no matter what generation it is.

FYI I'm over fifty and have seen this cycle before it really just the terror people my age and over have over our impending death "thank god for shrooms and ego death" ROLMFAO while others shiver in fear or delude themselves with religion.

Offlinetheonlysun81
Long Time Lurker, Recent Member
 User Gallery

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: rider420]
    #23782672 - 10/29/16 01:31 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

This is why I don't like doing psychedelics in a controlled setting, unless that setting is a music festival/concert. At those places there are no spiritual direction. You find it yourself or not at all. There are no leaders at concerts. Just musicians who if they stopped playing and started preaching would be booed off stage

--------------------

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: tdubz] * 1
    #23782685 - 10/29/16 01:36 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Doing aya in a third world shithole is stupid when you could just do it in the safety and comfort of your own home.

OfflineJacksonMetaller
Stranger

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: theonlysun81]
    #23782889 - 10/29/16 02:47 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

theonlysun81 said:
This is why I don't like doing psychedelics in a controlled setting, unless that setting is a music festival/concert. At those places there are no spiritual direction. You find it yourself or not at all. There are no leaders at concerts. Just musicians who if they stopped playing and started preaching would be booed off stage

That's kinda how my experiences in ceremony went. No leaders. Just a dude who gives the brew and keeps the vibe moving. I've always found the opinions of people who've never taken to be absurd and off-base from my experiences, but i suppose after reading this article i have little reason to correct them

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: tdubz]
    #23783228 - 10/29/16 05:13 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

They go straight from complaining about white people, to discussing patents, so they get their market share.

Why does someone need a guide and ritual, to attain self realization, or a aya to achieve a psychotic break. :shrug:

Is any tea really necessary, to contact that spirit, which is not for sale.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: durian_2008] * 1
    #23783322 - 10/29/16 05:43 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
They go straight from complaining about white people, to discussing patents, so they get their market share.

Why does someone need a guide and ritual, to attain self realization, or a aya to achieve a psychotic break. :shrug:

Is any tea really necessary, to contact that spirit, which is not for sale.

Because when used improperly people are more likely to have a psychotic break or mess something up and die... Clearly not all "shaman" are trustworthy/ legit though.

Do you communicate with tree's regularly? When was the last time you left your body and became one with the universe?

Clearly you don't need drugs for that necessarily but there is something incredibly special and sacred about Aya...

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: musiclover420]
    #23783796 - 10/29/16 08:42 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
When was the last time you left your body and became one with the universe?

I still had the flu, and got very lost, when walking at night.

I hadn't been eating normally. My blood sugar was very low, so I was disoriented.

I was shown the way back.

Also, when baking ceramics, during a heatwave.

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Do you communicate with tree's regularly?

Who is to say that I don't?

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: durian_2008]
    #23783850 - 10/29/16 09:00 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I would also suggest a word of caution, to you dabblers, out there.

Has anyone heard of this, before:
(Speaking of Communion...)
"This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. ¶Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body."
-- from ICor 11 (KJV Bible)

Who is to say that whichever spirit wants to help you.

Noone actually deserves a favor. We should be grateful.

But, what it you're an outright jerk.

Who is to say that some all-powerful spirit is supposed to grant all of your wishes so pleasantly.

Maybe, the shamen are doing their jobs, and maybe these Millennials are bad people. Maybe, aya doesn't like them, no matter how kindly and how cautiously it is administered.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #23784758 - 10/30/16 09:13 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

What's funny is right below this article is...

"Women Are Leading Amazon Ayahuasca Ceremonies for the First Time"

I will let you all draw your own conclusions. :lol:

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: Ran-D] * 1
    #23784767 - 10/30/16 09:18 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Also, I am new to this whole "millennial" thing, but isn't blaming problems on the youth basically admitting "we fucked up as parents"?

OfflineGPryder
Stranger

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: Ran-D]
    #23784882 - 10/30/16 10:03 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

that logic!

--------------------

Check out my first grow log. Completed successfully!
Experienced: Weed, LSD, Mushrooms, DOC, DXM, MDMA, DMT, 1P-LSD, AL-LAD, ALD-52, 4-HO-MET, 4-HO-MiPT 4-ACO-DMT
Interested in: Ketamine, MDA. 

Invisibledurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: Ran-D]
    #23784897 - 10/30/16 10:09 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

As a rule, Boomers have passed on their expenses, their blame, and overall bad karma, onto their children.

http://www.quickmeme.com/Scumbag-Baby-Boomer
http://www.quickmeme.com/Old-Economy-Steven/

:bow2: Have fun working that off, and you'd better be grateful for all they've done, for you. It's been a hard life.

:hi:  (Enters a new part of Dante's Inferno.)

:congrats:

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: durian_2008]
    #23784943 - 10/30/16 10:28 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
http://www.quickmeme.com/Scumbag-Baby-Boomer

:rofl:

Awesome.

OfflineDJSF
Stranger
    #23784982 - 10/30/16 10:41 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Agreed

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: DJSF]
    #23785033 - 10/30/16 10:57 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Accessing altered states of consciousness - whether for spiritual, recreational, or whatever purposes - is a basic human right. In so much of the world that right has been denied by political and religious forces. Its easy to judge these young people as foolish hipsters who are ruining a good thing. But in reality they are trying to reconnect with a primal, foundational human experience that their own societies have denied them.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineJacksonMetaller
Stranger

Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: durian_2008] * 1
    #23785433 - 10/30/16 01:08 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:

Maybe, the shamen are doing their jobs, and maybe these Millennials are bad people. Maybe, aya doesn't like them, no matter how kindly and how cautiously it is administered.

Aya is definitely merciless when it wants to humble you. My first experience went just like that. Thought i was having a psychotic break, then found out i was just getting my ass kicked for being arrogant. Guide knew it the whole time. Told me to sit my ass in a corner so they could continue their ceremony. I thought he was nuts. He was right :lol: Aya gave me a hard time the next go around as well but i cleaned up my act and it rewarded me accordingly

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Millennials on Spirit Quests Are Ruining Everything About Ayahuasca [Re: JacksonMetaller]
    #23785681 - 10/30/16 02:27 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

:whathesaid:

That is part of why I don't see a huge problem here.

I don't think aya would be recreational for most people.

Even if they go into the experience  arrogantly it may help to move past that.

Also many people grow ayahuasca plants already so it's not like we need to deplete the jungle...

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck