Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineindianelephant
Stranger
Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics*
    #23774892 - 10/26/16 09:45 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Hey shroomery

I'm having some huuuuge problems with getting a successful monotub. Been growing PF tek for a couple years already with great success and felt ready to move to bulk. Problem is, every single one of my monotubs are getting contam'd before the first flush and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong! I know it has to be either my substrate or spawn... I'm thinking more likely the former than the latter. Hoping you guys can help me identify the problem or give me some advice on where to start about fixing this.

I started off with quite bad practice - noccing up a batch of 7-9 WBS jars with MS syringe, then I would choose the best/cleanest jar and use that as a master, g2g'd to other jars then spawned to monotub with coir/verm done using bucket tek method. I've had 2 successful monotubs using that method and a very high contam rate. Decided to learn agar and proper pasteurization and haven't had a successful monotub since! FML! You would think I would be more successful lol.

So I start off with some agar cultures(using Profs No Pour tek from mycotek and LME) - some clones are from nice clusters I've gotten from PF tek grows - some cultures are MS on agar. I transfer till they're clean(minimum of 2-3 transfers, I usually end up doing 4-5 to be safe). Then I transfer to a master jar.

(All my WBS jars are prepped using Franks WBS prep tek - I follow the tek to a T other than removing all the cracked corn because I've noticed no real difference leaving them in.)

Master jars usually come out looking fine and dandy so I g2g to 7 other WBS jars using TranscendingLife's g2g tutorial(?can't find link?). Note - All my agar work and G2Gs are done in a SAB.

Spawn jars colonize fast and look good and 100% clean - to me...

I prep my coir to the T using Frank's Simple coir/verm tek and pasteurize to the T using his Proper Pasteurization tek. (Raise core temp of coir jars to 140F and then starting timer for 1 hour, not letting temps exceed 170F) I then let the jars cool inside the PC till room temp, then I remove and place in a tub and proceed to pasteurize a 2nd batch of coir jars. (two batches of 5-6 for each monotub since my PC can't hold all the jars at once)

Once that's all done I spawn to a 60L monotub with two inch holes, one on each short side at the top and two on each long sides down at substrate level. Using Frank's Bulk Spawning tek I smell every single jar making sure it smells like fresh shrooms then soak my spawn in their jars for 20 mins before draining well.

Note: I used to think I didn't drain my WBS enough or my substrate was too wet after mixing with spawn causing it to go bacterial or something, so I've tried reducing the amount of water I use for the coir verm substrate from 5 quarts to 4 quarts which resulted in a drier overall mix but it still contam'd in the end...

After mixing the monotub I tape up all holes, put the lid on then leave it in a room with minimal air movement. 

Usually after about 10 days or so of looking like it's colonizing well and cleanly I start seeing white splotches of trich and it goes from smelling like fresh mycelium to a minty, muddy/dirt smell. This all happens very quickly, over like 2-3 days. That's when I toss it and start all over again. I've broken up the contam'd substrate many times when throwing it out and I noticed the trich seems to be present only on the surface?

This is the most recent contam'd tub. This is 3 days after I stuffed with polyfill. 15 days after spawning. Decided I've had enough and seriously needed to seek advice.

At the moment I'm thinking my problems are:

-Hidden contams on agar culture

-G2G technique bad resulting in hidden contams spawn jars(the two piece jar lids are tricky, have to source the plastic ones)

-Incorrect pasteurization(The thermometer I'm using atm seems OK - but the last one I had that was the same model went faulty, perhaps I need a new one of a different model). I start the 1hr timer when it hits 140F, maybe I should wait for temps to get to 150F or higher first? Maybe I should pasteurize for longer?

-Spore load in room I'm growing in is too high from previous contams

Any advice would be appreciated. It's driving me crazy as I've worked so hard on refining my sterile technique and what irks me most is that things always seem good until I spawn to bulk. Might have to do a grow log to get advice as I go through the process again...

Edited by indianelephant (10/26/16 09:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: indianelephant]
    #23774926 - 10/26/16 09:57 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

where did you 'break up' the contam substrate? if inside you deposited a
butt load of trich spores in your home.

if everything looks fine until spawning to bulk then its a good bet its your spawn. explain your agar clean up process.

also are you recycling tubs? only asking because the plastic can get scratched
which contams can easily hide even after a scrubbing.

Offlinetombosley8
Full on... Bossley Baggins
 User Gallery

Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: mushboy]
    #23774955 - 10/26/16 10:08 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I will at least remove a vector for you.

You pasturization. Really coir only needs any kind of heat treatment(just cooking it basically) for optimal performance.

Pasteurizing it will really not give you any step up on contams. This only goes for coir verm and gypsum. most/all other substrates need proper pasteurization.

you could have a high spore load from previous contamination but i don't think that it is getting in after/during spawning.

most likely as you said somewhere in your sterile tek and the high spore load could be making it more difficult.

could even be hiding bacteria in your spawn letting the trich in after you spawn due to the myc being weakened by the bacteria.

--------------------

Edited by tombosley8 (10/26/16 10:10 PM)

InvisibleMoabfighter
Tam Fighter
 User Gallery

Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: tombosley8]
    #23775047 - 10/26/16 10:32 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I'd recommend trying fruiting as soon as you make the tub.

I recently had a tub that I tried to let "recolonize" for ten days to two weeks, had trich like a BITCH.

If you fruit immediately, and have trich, you will atleast make it to the first flush.

--------------------
KSSS And PE WBS.

InvisibleCosmoKramer
The Assman

Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: tombosley8]
    #23775070 - 10/26/16 10:39 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Any jar spawn pics? You could try cutting down g2g transfers and just spawn a fresh agar clone jar. That would kind of eliminate some problems or draw a line for some of the other things.

--------------------
"Get yourself some vitamin C with rose hips and bioflavonoids."

Offlinetump
ban the undead
 User Gallery

Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: CosmoKramer]
    #23775313 - 10/27/16 12:21 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I agree see if its the grain to grain transfers. Another thing a lot of people over look is the brand of coir they use. Iften i cook the crap out my coir to sterilizing it for grains stuck in it, broken glass , bugs and lots more in it. There are also hidden contams in agar that can be hard to spot so pictures of you plates might help. Last divide your spawn jars to individual trays. Problem with monos if its not 100% all clean jars then the contam still wins.

OfflineWeavieWonder
Time Travel Sucks
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #23775399 - 10/27/16 01:09 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tombosley8 said:

Pasteurizing it will really not give you any step up on contams. This only goes for coir verm and gypsum. most/all other substrates need proper pasteurization.

That may be true, but I don't think properly pasteurizing CVG would hurt anything either.  OP mentioned his thermometer may not be accurate.  If his temps were to get too high, most of the beneficial bacteria in the substrate would die.  Such an instance leaves you vulnerable to contamination, even with clean spawn.  Probably more so if your house is laden with trich spores from a failed previous grow.

OP, You can test the accuracy of a thermometer by filling a small glass with ice, then some water.  Give it swirl with the thermometer.  You should get a reading of 32F (give or take a little) after a minute or so.  You can purchase a quality digital thermometer for 15-20 dollars.

If you want, try Franks pasteurization tek again.  Just make doubly sure you stay in the 140-160 range for at least 60 minutes.  I'm not sure if 90 minutes would be beneficial or not.  Hitting the 140 mark is important, but not exceeding 160 I think is more important.  I aim for my temps to peak at about 155F. Knowing when to shut off your heat is crucial.  It took me a couple of tries to get this right.  When the hour is up, I take my jars out of the water bath and set them on a table to cool.

You had also mentioned you smell your jars before using them to spawn, and that they smell like mushrooms.  This is good practice.  They smell only of mushrooms though, right?  A grain jar infected with bacteria can look normal, but will smell like mushrooms AND sour milk, or dirty socks, or whatever. 

Anyways, the above works for me.  Hopefully you will find something that works for you.  There are many ways to be successful using a CVG substrate from what I read.  Keep at it.  As with a lot of things, this hobby requires a great deal of patience and persistence.  Good luck.  Thoughts, anyone?

Offlineindianelephant
Stranger
Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: WeavieWonder]
    #23775630 - 10/27/16 05:05 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
where did you 'break up' the contam substrate? if inside you deposited a butt load of trich spores in your home.

I always do it outside, I break it up and chuck it into the garden or into the bin.
Quote:

explain your agar clean up process.

Not sure exactly what to tell you. Maybe I can elaborate more after if you ask me for more specifics.

Anyway, say I transferred a piece of tissue from a clone to a plate. Usually I would let the culture grow and transfer to another plate when the mycelium is about 2 inches in diameter. If contams show - usually some sort of bacteria, I would transfer a clean wedge to another plate straight away. After obtaining a "clean" culture(usually after 2-3 transfers) I do an extra transfer or two before transferring it to a master jar.
Quote:

also are you recycling tubs? only asking because the plastic can get scratched which contams can easily hide even after a scrubbing.

I do recycle tubs so I'll keep that in mind cheers. I hose them out then wipe down with a bleach solution and dry with clean paper towels before using. I'll purchase some new tubs for the next attempt I reckon.
Quote:

CosmoKramer said:
Any jar spawn pics? You could try cutting down g2g transfers and just spawn a fresh agar clone jar. That would kind of eliminate some problems or draw a line for some of the other things.

I've started two master grain jars just recently, here are some pics of one of them.

I'll take more photos as they colonize. Great idea about spawning the master jar by itself to a tray though. I might do that to see if my G2G is the problem... Thank you.
Quote:

tump said:
I agree see if its the grain to grain transfers. Another thing a lot of people over look is the brand of coir they use. Iften i cook the crap out my coir to sterilizing it for grains stuck in it, broken glass , bugs and lots more in it. There are also hidden contams in agar that can be hard to spot so pictures of you plates might help. Last divide your spawn jars to individual trays. Problem with monos if its not 100% all clean jars then the contam still wins.

I'll look for a different brand of coir. Been using this same brand(Brunnings) for ages. I just did a transfer but I'll get some pictures of my plates for you guys asap. Got 3 cultures going atm. It's a bit tough getting photos as my plates are no-pour ones in Ball Elite mason jars. Only way to get good photos is with the lid off so I'll do take some after my next transfer when I've already cut a wedge out.
Quote:

WeavieWonder said:
OP, You can test the accuracy of a thermometer by filling a small glass with ice, then some water.  Give it swirl with the thermometer.  You should get a reading of 32F (give or take a little) after a minute or so.  You can purchase a quality digital thermometer for 15-20 dollars.

I tested my thermometer using your method. I filled a tall glass(so most of the probe could be submerged) with ice to the top, then filled with water. Stirred it around with the thermometer and it took about 2 minutes for the temp to drop down to 36F or 2C which is the lowest it woud go. I guess my thermometer is off then? Might grab another one off ebay, anyone know any good cheap ones?
Quote:

If you want, try Franks pasteurization tek again.  Just make doubly sure you stay in the 140-160 range for at least 60 minutes.  I'm not sure if 90 minutes would be beneficial or not.  Hitting the 140 mark is important, but not exceeding 160 I think is more important.

I'll be sure to do that next time I pasteurize. Thanks.
Quote:

You had also mentioned you smell your jars before using them to spawn, and that they smell like mushrooms.  This is good practice.  They smell only of mushrooms though, right?  A grain jar infected with bacteria can look normal, but will smell like mushrooms AND sour milk, or dirty socks, or whatever.

Since I've used agar my spawn jars have smelt clean as far as I can tell - just like fresh shrooms, esp when you rip open the stems and smell the inside, that's what it smells like to me. Before, when I was doing MS to grain to G2G I encountered some truly foul smells from mold contams and more often subtle sweet sickly, dirt-like smells from bacteria.

Thanks for all the replies guys, more advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for butchering up the quoting system! Will make a better effort next time. I'll probably just reply within the quote boxes and bold my text like I've seen many do. Not too familiar with posting on forums. Will have to work out how to post pictures that stay in thumbnail size which then you can click on to enlarge. Any tips?

Edited by indianelephant (10/27/16 05:54 AM)

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: WeavieWonder]
    #23775865 - 10/27/16 08:13 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

WeavieWonder said:
Quote:

tombosley8 said:

That may be true, but I don't think properly pasteurizing CVG would hurt anything either.  OP mentioned his thermometer may not be accurate.  If his temps were to get too high, most of the beneficial bacteria in the substrate would die.  Such an instance leaves you vulnerable to contamination, even with clean spawn.  Probably more so if your house is laden with trich spores from a failed previous grow.

It wouldn't hurt anything, you're right. But coir is packaged sterile at 1000°. It has NO beneficial bacteria, unlike manure. Some don't even do any heat treatment of coir, and others like pasty heat treat coir by pcing (sterilizing) it. If we're talking strictly CVG, there's no way anything OPs done to it should even be considered a contam vector.

I always reuse tubs, and I guarantee they're covered in contam spores. I use no liners either. Don't for even a second think it's because you're using dirty tubs. It's obviously bad spawn here.

Those jars already look starchy and wet. Prep them drier. That's just a bacterial landmine going on there.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: Mad Season]
    #23775996 - 10/27/16 09:15 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

THANKS FOR YOUR DETAILED REPLAY OP !!!

speaking only from what HASNT worked for me, id switch the type of grains.
corn has always been a issue for me. its too starchy and always made my
jars clumpy. ive seen all the popcorn teks or people who say 'fuck it just leave the corn in' and have great grows...

but like i said. corn always gave me issues.

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: mushboy]
    #23776081 - 10/27/16 09:51 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I'm just about the try Pastys mini monos.  Less work to go wrong till I find a decent culture/ method

OfflineWeavieWonder
Time Travel Sucks
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: Mad Season]
    #23776544 - 10/27/16 12:17 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:

coir is packaged sterile at 1000°. It has NO beneficial bacteria, unlike manure. Some don't even do any heat treatment of coir, and others like pasty heat treat coir by pcing (sterilizing) it.

Right on, good to know.  Provided your spawn is clean, would you say that you can mix your CVG together, hydrate it, and use it as is?  That would be sweet.  I usually put other junk in conjunction with CVG, so I've always pasteurized.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23776567 - 10/27/16 12:24 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I've seen lots do it.

Quote:

eatyualive said:
day 17. exact same time frame as treated pasteurized coir. fruits seem meatier and more dense. grain was done by cornmeal plate liquid inoculation.

From https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22728535/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offlinetombosley8
Full on... Bossley Baggins
 User Gallery

#23776598 - 10/27/16 12:30 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

yeah technically you do not need to treat coir verm and gypsum at all for colonization but many have noted a much stronger faster better fruiting mycelium when grown on heat treated cvg.

It just needs to be cooked.

sterilizing is a fast way to really cook it well.

Bucket tek works great too maybe with just slightly less strong colony.

Or slightly better, inocuoles way of mixing up the cvg and then baking in the oven to cook it thoroughly.

But yeah sorry to go so far off topic just wanted to clarify that and make sure the op is not questioning his cvg.

--------------------

OfflinePortabellaFella 1
Enthusiastic
Male User Gallery

#23776605 - 10/27/16 12:32 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

There's a tek around, I forget the name. Your agar work could hide contams. The tek involves growing myc in a plate and then adding more agar on top. Your "clean" myc will grow through the top layer of agar and your contams won't. :shrug:

Also coir isn't the issue. Someone posted here how they took coir out of their lizards terrarium covered in piss,shit and old food and added spawn to it and it didn't contam.

--------------------
I would like to acquire anything I don’t have

OfflineTh3Issu3
Stranger Danger

Loc: fucktown
Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: PortabellaFella 1]
    #23776755 - 10/27/16 01:24 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PortabellaFella 1 said:
Also coir isn't the issue. Someone posted here how they took coir out of their lizards terrarium covered in piss,shit and old food and added spawn to it and it didn't contam.

honestly who does that.....

what do your jar lids look like?

are you doing work in a sab or in front of a flowhood ?

Edited by Th3Issu3 (10/27/16 01:27 PM)

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: Th3Issu3]
    #23776784 - 10/27/16 01:32 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I'm pretty sure it was pasty xD

--------------------

AMU Q&A

OfflineTh3Issu3
Stranger Danger

Loc: fucktown
    #23776797 - 10/27/16 01:35 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:
I'm pretty sure it was pasty xD

what a sick individual , love it

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: PortabellaFella 1]
    #23776850 - 10/27/16 01:57 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PortabellaFella 1 said:
There's a tek around, I forget the name. Your agar work could hide contams. The tek involves growing myc in a plate and then adding more agar on top. Your "clean" myc will grow through the top layer of agar and your contams won't. :shrug:

Agar sandwhich

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Where am I going wrong with my monos? Trich everytime! Need advice. *pics* [Re: cronicr]
    #23776995 - 10/27/16 02:45 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Does this work?  Good if its the last culture on the planet and u need it to grow out.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder