Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Parting of the Red Sea
    #2377444 - 02/25/04 10:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Before we get started it is important to note that the Egyptians were not mere minutes behind Moses and the Jews as portrayed in the movie "The Ten Commandments", but were days or even weeks behind them. Also noteworthy, the Red Sea is in a low flat basin and quite shallow in many areas.

There are three major scenarios for the parting of the Red Sea.

1. A genuine miracle occurred and Moses did indeed part the Red Sea.

2. The Red Sea where it was crossed was dry land during a drought. When the Egyptians crossed a flash flood (seeming to be a miracle from the Jews perspective) drowned most of the Egypitian soldiers caught in the onslaught.

3. Strong, continous winds caused the waters of the shallow sea to build up in the deeper section and expose dry land for a time. When the Egyptians crossed, the winds died down and the backwash (seeming to be a miracle from the Jews perspective) drowned most of the Egypitian soldiers caught in the onslaught.

Having lived in Las Vegas and having seen the powerful effects of flash flooding in the desert, I would have to go with option 2.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Parting of the Red Sea [Re: Swami]
    #2377483 - 02/25/04 10:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I remember watching something about this on the discovery channel, about how it could have been an earthquake from an explosion of a volcanoe in the mediterannean sea... caused some water levy to break... sucking all the water out... due to some kind of riptide effect... so they crossed... and when they all got by, the waters returned because the pull caused by the earthquake let go, releasing all the water back into the land.

Option 2 does sound the most likely. How could tthey walk fast enough if the winds were blowing so strongly? How didnt they blow away?

if the desert was "dry", what would there have been to part? Unless their was just some bad judgement on the writers part, they must have thought the sea was there... and full, but came to find it parted do to a drought and thought of it as a miracle..

or their is always option number 1, and anything else anyone ones to conjecture.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Parting of the Red Sea [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2377564 - 02/25/04 11:01 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

if the desert was "dry", what would there have been to part?

The Red Sea is actually more of a salty lake and to my knowledge, was normally only a few foot deep or only seasonally wet where they allegedly crossed.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2377735 - 02/26/04 12:09 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You forgot option 4... a sudden pole shift

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Parting of the Red Sea [Re: Shroomism]
    #2377750 - 02/26/04 12:14 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

option #5: work of fiction.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Parting of the Red Sea [Re: Xochitl]
    #2377760 - 02/26/04 12:17 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

there's also that

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2378271 - 02/26/04 05:19 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Option #6: Work of fiction with specific, not so obvious meaning

Option #7: It wasn't a work of God because I support the Egyptians, not the Jews. They killed my son, damn it! :grin:

I know! I say we access the video archive that will show what really happened. Moses, you're on candid camera!
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Anonymous

Re: Parting of the Red Sea [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2378348 - 02/26/04 06:44 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2378654 - 02/26/04 08:53 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I dunno, I just found this worthy for this specific post :smile: I hope you find relevance in it.

Once there lived a village of creatures along the bottom of a great crystal river.

The current of the river swept silently over them all - young and old, rich and poor, good and evil, the current going its own way, knowing only its own crystal self.

Each creature in its own manner clung tightly to the twigs and rocks at the river bottom, for clinging was their way of life, and resisting the current what each had learned from birth.

But one creature said at last, 'I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go, and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom.'

The other creatures laughed and said, 'Fool! Let go, and that current you worship will throw you tumbled and smashed across the rocks, and you shall die quicker than boredom!'

But the one heeded them not, and taking a breath did let go, and at once was tumbled and smashed by the current across the rocks.

Yet in time, as the creature refused to cling again, the current lifted him free from the bottom, and he was bruised and hurt no more.

And the creatures downstream, to whom he was a stranger, cried, 'See a miracle! A creature like ourselves, yet he flies! See the Messiah, come to save us all!'

And the one carried in the current said, 'I am no more Messiah than you. The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go. Our true work is this voyage, this adventure.'

But they cried the more, 'Saviour!' all the while clinging to the rocks, and when they looked again he was gone, and they were left alone making legends of a Saviour.

http://www.geocities.com/rbsite2000/_private/R_Bach/books/misc/Illusions_excerts.htm

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2378747 - 02/26/04 09:22 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think the parting of the Red Sea was a gross exaggeration on purpose. Jews in those days viewed the entire world as a miracle, all of creation: rain drops falling, cows in a pasture, anything. The 'miracle' in this text was intentionally fictive, because the Jewish listener/reader (for whom the story was intended) would notice the importance of the Exodus from Egypt, to show that God was at work here, helping Moses.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Parting of the Red Sea [Re: psyka]
    #2378778 - 02/26/04 09:30 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Great quote man, that's a very good book. The first time I read it, I was thoroughly entertained. While it seemed quite deep, it wasn't until the second time through that I was truly immersed in the depth of the book, and how the story itself is a metaphor, so to speak...

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2378853 - 02/26/04 09:46 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

one time I met this chick, and she parted the red sea for me
:lol:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom