Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
LARGE casings/compost bins
    #2375921 - 02/25/04 01:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ok, heres the deal.

FOAF have a 3 casings that were each made from 2.5 kg of dry rye berries that colonized in 15 separate quart jars with filter discs. The casing layers were made via the 50/50+ tek and pasteurized for 3 hours and brought to field capacity. They were then covered with tinfoil (tinfoil sits about 5-6 inchaes above the casing surface and allowed to colnize.

My friend fucked up and didn't air them out properly (no holes in the foil layer and only one was fanned every 2-4 days to check progress). All had mass infection and were found to have alarming amount of standing water in the bottom. My quesrtion is this:

How did all the standing water get into the bottom of the tubs. The grain obviously didn't contribute to the moisture content, and neither did the casing layer because it was brought to field capacity and there was no excess moisture. More importantly, how can FOAF prevent the water from collecting at the bottom of these massive casings. Should FOAF air the casings out more often, or poke holes in the foil (if so how many, what size, etc.). FOAF is pretty much at a loss right now. Thanks for the help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: LARGE casings/compost bins [Re: misterman]
    #2375947 - 02/25/04 01:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the water had to come from the casing layer unless he spilt something in it while checking on it. the casing won't pull water out of the air, at least not enough to make a lot of standing water in the container. you do not need holes when using aluminum foil and just colonizing the casing layer. to keep water from building up like that poke a few holes in the bottom of the container and add some casing layer on the bottom to protect from contams or better yet find out what your doing to fuck up water content (i.e. casing layer to wet is my guess) also you don't need to fan while it's colonizing, co2 build up is beneficial during that stage.

also if your friend is working with such large amounts of grain and trying to make giant casings he should really look into bulk (poop) it's way more efficent than casing 5lbs of grain when you can use 1 quart to spawn 5lbs of poo.

There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation