Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying
    #23752236 - 10/19/16 02:51 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

http://modernfarmer.com/2015/09/cannabis-labeling/

We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying
By Dan Nosowitz on September 2, 2015

As cannabis becomes a legitimate, legal, and highly profitable crop, scientists are finally beginning to analyze and understand it. And what they're finding is that the long ban has led to consumers basically knowing nothing about it.

As the ban on cannabis lessens, scientists have finally sweeping away the popular understanding of the crop and how it works, which has largely been informed by guesswork and superstition. Case in point: the divide between indica and sativa strains, which a team from various Canadian universities recently examined.

There are three species of plant in the cannabis genus: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, and Cannabis ruderalis. (The latter is lower in the active chemical THC than the former two species, and so is less commonly grown.) Sativa and indica species can be cross-bred, producing mixed strains, but many dispensaries (both legal and not) identify products as being mostly or entirely sativa or indica.

Popular lore holds that the two species have different effects when imbibed. Sativa is allegedly a more active, stimulating species, while indica is believed to produce more sedentary, sleepier effects. But the Canadian researchers delved into the genotypes of a whopping 81 marijuana and 43 hemp samples to find out exactly what heritage they are, and discovered that in many cases, these plants are totally mislabeled.

In fact, the researchers found “only a moderate correlation” between the history of a product as told by a retailer and the product’s DNA history. “For example, a sample of Jamaican Lambs Bread, which is classified as C. sativa, was almost identical at a genetic level to a C. indica strain from Afghanistan,” according to a media release from the University of British Columbia.

The study shows just how poor the state of cannabis labeling is, even as it rapidly becomes legal. It’s as if, after Prohibition ended, we had no idea which raw materials were used to create liquor, how strong the liquor was, or whether the distilling process was done safely. Past studies have indicated that the strength and cleanliness of cannabis is basically totally unregulated, and this new study adds to that list the problem of not knowing a product’s provenance. As cannabis takes its place as a high-value, legal cash crop, it’s going to need some serious regulation to ensure safety and reliability.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #23752266 - 10/19/16 03:02 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

t’s as if, after Prohibition ended, we had no idea which raw materials were used to create liquor, how strong the liquor was, or whether the distilling process was done safely.

:doublefacepalm:

It's not like we have cannabinoid testing or anything, or people have been growing for thousands of years :lol:

Quote:

Apes and Humans, for example, share over 99% of their genes. That means the difference between our species is less than 1% of our genes. In fact, all life on Earth shares about 50% of it's genes.

:wellidunno:

Next they will be saying this about Kratom... "BREAKING NEWS", "red/white/green vien kratom have identical genes" therefor everyone is wrong about the differences.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Edited by musiclover420 (10/19/16 03:04 PM)

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #23752455 - 10/19/16 04:19 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ellis Dee said:
http://modernfarmer.com/2015/09/cannabis-labeling/

It’s as if, after Prohibition ended, we had no idea which raw materials were used to create liquor, how strong the liquor was, or whether the distilling process was done safely. Past studies have indicated that the strength and cleanliness of cannabis is basically totally unregulated, and this new study adds to that list the problem of not knowing a product’s provenance. As cannabis takes its place as a high-value, legal cash crop, it’s going to need some serious regulation to ensure safety and reliability.

ROLMFAO At more reefer madness The prohibition of cannabis has not ended yet in Canada This is why cannabis needs to be legalized, Hell this is why all drugs need to be legalized, quality control! BTW cannabis is less difficult to ensure safety and reliability of then booze or beef.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: rider420]
    #23752720 - 10/19/16 05:50 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I have some bud that has CBD only in it
doesn't get you high but what else is there to judge by:shrug:

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: Konyap]
    #23753840 - 10/20/16 01:51 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like a anti-legalization publication.

They test cannabis not only for alkaloids but pestacides. 

Also it seems the drug plants are either narrow leaf indica or wide leaf indica.  Sativa is hemp.  There is even genetic testing of heritage among interested parties.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: Morel Guy]
    #23754454 - 10/20/16 10:34 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

To the best of my understanding, so many food and drug recalls are typically initiated by some private party, not by the govt, which is supposed to standardize everything and keep you safe.

I respect that grey market co-ops can affect many people, negatively, if there was some kind of drag net, some kind of collective punishment.

But, at the same time, it is also possible to test independently, establish your own proprietary language and standards, without a state minder.

When they are abusive or lax, you blame the govt, but without being your own govt.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: Morel Guy]
    #23754662 - 10/20/16 11:56 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Morel Guy said:
Sounds like a anti-legalization publication.

Modern farmer is not anti-legalization. They've actually done many articles on pot farmers markets in California and stuff. They're a farming and agriculture magazine with a slant towards following trends. Its about as unbiased as you can get.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineBlabble40
Scorpio

Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: Ellis Dee] * 1
    #23754715 - 10/20/16 12:13 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah a lot of these shops just label the weed anything. That's what the employees do... They even use the same label for different kinds of weed.
The clever names pot have are just arbitrary.

--------------------

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
    #23755100 - 10/20/16 02:38 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Konyap said:
I have some bud that has CBD only in it
doesn't get you high but what else is there to judge by:shrug:

I thought the only bud without THC was like industrial hemp.

I wish I could find some weed with a 1:1 ratio of THC to CBD. All these strains I get are like 2-5% CBD and 18-22%THC. I just want one that is like 5% THC:5% CBD. That would be perfect. I know there are strains like this out there but since I live in Texas I don't get to be picky

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: morrowasted]
    #23755156 - 10/20/16 02:56 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I have some high CBD seeds that can have phenotypes anywhere from 2:1 1:1 or 1:2 thc:cbd ratios I believe. Can't wait to try em out!

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: musiclover420]
    #23755179 - 10/20/16 03:05 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Never heard of a 1:2 THC:CBD ratio. I read that CBD sort of cancels out the intoxication.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: morrowasted]
    #23755234 - 10/20/16 03:21 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
Never heard of a 1:2 THC:CBD ratio. I read that CBD sort of cancels out the intoxication.

I wouldn't say that, it cancels out the anxiety causing overstimulation that high THC strains cause IME.

Strains with mostly CBD will be very mellow and not really have the cannabis "high" people expect from THC. It can be very relaxing and enjoyable though.

That is what is cool about a high THC and CBD strain though, it should have some very enjoyable and well rounded effects that may vary considerably with different pheno's.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#23755580 - 10/20/16 05:39 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

no fucking way dude
smoking weed with 20thc just means you have to smoke less

at the end you're still smoking the weed so you're not going to get all of it anyway
I have been completely fucking stoned on 1:1 bud for the last two years
there is no difference between the two besides the cbd one wearing off a little quicker but that is null and void with a vape

do I think it's healthy
no not really
I basically would smoke every chance I had which kind of fucked me up mentally and made me sick for longer but with the cbd bud I'm less worried about having a stroke/epileptic seizure after I eat tons of fatty foods and smoke err vape

on that note I've also been tweaking out way less
when I used to quit weed I'd spaz out in my sleep but now I've only gotten weird dreams months later

but yeah I used to vape 2-3x a day with thc at 7% always stayed high enough to finish the activity and get bored/hungry

Edited by Konyap (10/20/16 05:44 PM)

OfflineWhyDidiDoThis
Bay Area Mushroom Collector
Male User Gallery

#23755659 - 10/20/16 06:08 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I've always told everyone.

Pot is pot.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#23755663 - 10/20/16 06:09 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

No fucking way what? Of course 1:1 bud will still get you stoned, if its 10% each that is till decent. I am talking about bud that is 2:1 or more cbd:thc...

There is a huge difference between bud that is 20% thc and bud that is 10% thc/cbd... Different cannabinoid profiles cause differing effects... If the only difference between 2 strains was the 10% cbd then maybe it won't be a drastic difference but there still will be one. I doubt high CBD bud is just high in cbd too, it probably has more CBN and related compounds as well.

Quote:

but with the cbd bud I'm less worried about having a stroke/epileptic seizure after I eat tons of fatty foods and smoke err vape

:confused:

That makes 0 sense to me as does your entire post honestly... What is the point you are trying to make?

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#23755694 - 10/20/16 06:21 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I can feel the effects of pot on my body months after I quit
I'm just hyper sensitive from prior drug use

Edited by Konyap (10/20/16 06:22 PM)

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#23755699 - 10/20/16 06:24 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Konyap said:
I can feel the effects of pot on my body months after I quit
I'm just hyper sensitive from prior drug use

What effects do you feel months later?

--------------------

OfflineWhyDidiDoThis
Bay Area Mushroom Collector
Male User Gallery

#23755735 - 10/20/16 06:43 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I 2nd him.

THC is a peculiar molecule.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: We Have No Idea What Kind Of Cannabis We’re Buying [Re: WhyDidiDoThis]
    #23755785 - 10/20/16 06:58 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WhyDidiDoThis said:
I 2nd him.

THC is a peculiar molecule.

There are so many other things in cannabis that add to its effects though...

I saw some nearly pure THC crystals online recently, apparently it actually had a pretty smooth/ uplifting high which surprised me.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#23756137 - 10/20/16 08:56 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

my brain fills in senetences in my head
the only thing i can do is run run run and fast once a week
to much sensory overload and tummy aches from extacy

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules