Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshroompuff
shroom muncher

Growing shrooms on a sponge
    #2374313 - 02/24/04 12:51 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

while washing my car today I got a brainstorm when I looked at the sponge, so I went out and got a new sponge yellow nothing fancy I then boiled it for about an hour in reverse osmosis water .01 ppm ph 6.5

for nutrients I went with what I know best GH 3 part nutes that I use in my MJ hydroponics garden, I used a week mix 1/4 tsp of micro, gro, and bloom since I dont really know what they really like I mixed up 1 gallon that gave me 400 ppm with a ph of 5.9 I then soked the sponge in this soulution, followed by puting it in a small rubbermaid container and nuked it for about 15 min's, after it cooled I injected fresh malabar spores just under the surface of the sponge, I have no idea what will happen but I hope it colonize's.

why am I not casing or cakeing?
I just have alot of malabar syringes and alot of time think it will work?

I will keep everyone informed If you care to know what happens.

shroompuff

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: Growing shrooms on a sponge [Re: shroompuff]
    #2374600 - 02/24/04 02:19 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hwo are you going to keep the sponge hydrated?...i think that would be the largest factor...it's sorta like hydro mushrooms....but sponges are meant to absorb a lot of water..and they dry off really fast.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2374656 - 02/24/04 02:45 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I'm glad to see that you are actually doing an expeoiment instead of just asking if something will work.

That said...

It won't work.

Those nutes don't contain any source of energy. Plants create their own energy through photosynthesis. Mushrooms need calories, mostly carbohydrates.

--------------------
This space for rent

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
Re: Growing shrooms on a sponge [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2374719 - 02/24/04 03:21 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

he could soak with sterilzed potato/dextrose or something of the sort....it would be intresting to see some fruits off a sponge...but not much different than fruiting off of a petri dish...what would be intresting if you could continuesly supplement the sponge with PD, to see if sponge could continuesly fruit.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Growing shrooms on a sponge [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2374801 - 02/24/04 04:48 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"It won't work."

Are you sure? Some sponges are made of cellulose, a very nice source of carbohydrates for cubensis.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlinesnowspeed1
Psychonaut
    #2374816 - 02/24/04 05:05 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I bet if you did it with a sea sponge it would surely work. But you know that most commercial yellow cleaning sponges are treated with fungicide.

Invisibleshroompuff
shroom muncher

#2374978 - 02/24/04 06:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Doh! carbs ! so that is what they eat,
ok GH nutes do contain

Potassium carbonate
Magnesium carbonate
calcium carbonate

wich all three are present in micro, bloom and grow.
this is probly not the same not sure but Ill still let it go to see what happens

the one thing Im worried about is the antifungle soap I washed it out as good as I could before I boiled it, how ever Ive seen mold growing on one of the sponges wich led me to beleave that there is maybe not much anti fungle soap used with this particular brand.

keeping the sponge wet would not be that hard if I keep the humidity high in the fruting chamber maybe a threw bottom feeding?

"it wont work" im hard headed and a newbie thats not in my vocab :noway:

and if this dont work Im going to try a High carb protien shake
theres many types of carbs now dose anyone know wich one?

and if this all dont work then im going to take a bong hit and watch my lil half size jars colonize, I still have them to fall back on  :wink:

OfflineDerek
    #2375109 - 02/24/04 08:06 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Carbonates are not Carbohydrates shroompuff.

I could go into all the fun organic chemistry, but I hope you take my word for it so I don't have to.

You are falling back too much on your MJ experience, it would be really helpful for you to read up on the fungus kingdom, you'll find the only thing from your plant experience that will cross over to fungi is your experience with following procedure, and little else.

Here's a little heads up:

Fungi recycle dead organic matter into useful nutrients. If you don't give them any organic matter (a.k.a carbohydrates) they can't do their thing.

Invisibleshroompuff
shroom muncher

#2375169 - 02/24/04 08:34 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yeah I gotcha Derek thats what I was kinda wondering about the carbs and carbonates just needed it verified thanks for clearing things up.

Im just looking for a simple way to grow shrooms other then PF cakes, I wish they had some kinda ferts for fungi.

thanks
sp

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures