Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Dessicant, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegbhtrfv
journeyman
can't find supplies anywhere!
    #2373812 - 02/23/04 11:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i've done all my reading to understand the process of the mushroom life cycle and was just about to get started cultivating but there's one problem... no matter how hard i look, i can't seem to find these specific items: a dessicant, perlite, and freon.

i know two of the items are not required to grow but i'd like to store them properly as well so i will need those items.

can anyone help me out by pointing me to specific stores that carry these items? i've looked at maybe 6 stores now and have found nothing (quite a bit more then just going to one department store and picking everything up).

i live in vancouver (canada) by the way. and i know it's a retarded quesiton but i'm getting insanely fed up. please help a newb get his first grow off the ground! thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNickster_154371
entheogen enthusiast
Male
Re: can't find supplies anywhere! [Re: gbhtrfv]
    #2373837 - 02/24/04 12:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Dessicant should be more than enough to be able to preserve them. You can find perlite at any walmart, kmart, lowels, home depot, or flower store. For a dessicant i reccomend you go to a hardware store, or maybe walmart, and ask for DampRid. Its only like 5 bucks and it really dries your shrooms, but you need to fan dry them for a couple days before you put them in the dessicant chamber for maximum results. I dont see where you would be needing freon, but just putting the dried shrooms in a ziplock bag and throwing them in the freezer after they come out of the dessicant chamber should be more than fine. Hope that helps ya out, good luck!

Offlinegbhtrfv
journeyman
Re: can't find supplies anywhere! [Re: Nickster_154371]
    #2373877 - 02/24/04 12:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

the freon is from a tek i read in the preservation/storing section.  basically prevent the oxidation of the alkaloids completely by replacing the oxygen inside the bag with freon.  freon doesn't diffuse through plastic bags so it keeps them fresh indefinitely.

anyways, thank you very much for the advice and i'll keep on searching.  nothing will stand in my way of achieving a grow :smile:!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2373889 - 02/24/04 12:15 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

freon is pretty hard to get hold of unless it's r-134... CO2 will work the samy way but it's not that big an issue unless your looking at long term storage

Anonymous

#2374027 - 02/24/04 12:56 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

you defintely do NOT need freon.

depending on where you live, you might not even need dessicant right now. if you live anywhere north of the tropics, in this time of year dessicants are worthless. with the indoor rH so low, a simple fan works far better. when you do need it, you can get it at a hardware store or a walmart. it's sold as "damp-rid" and it's usually in the paint or cleaning aisles.

you can find perlite almost anywhere that sells gardening supplies. this means a nursery or hardware store. i have found it at walmart.

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #2374155 - 02/24/04 01:43 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

freon schmeon!  Maybe you've done too much reading.  Don't be suckered by all the mad scientist razzmatazz.

Dried shrooms will last for years in the freezer and many, many months in a dresser drawer.  Are you filling a time capsule or what?

Your time and $$ would be better spent picking out some decent trip music. Let's try to keep the cart behind the horse, bud.  :wink:

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

InvisibleZapotecorum
AlcoHoliC

Loc: my conversion van
Re: can't find supplies anywhere! [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2374172 - 02/24/04 01:51 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

nixon rules!!!!!!!!

i am not a crook!!!!!!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Dessicant, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation