Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Preparing jars for long term storage before use.
    #2357145 - 02/19/04 11:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have a freind who owns a store and they are interested in selling oyster mushroom kits. The customer would innoculate pre-prepared jars with liquid mycelium from a syringe.

I'm thinking grain spawned to straw is the best way to go about it, but how would I make the jars so that they could sit on a shelf for up to 6 months before being used?

My first exoeriment with popcorn with tyvek lids was a collosal flop. out of 12 jars, 8 have contaminated with white and blue growth. I also had some jars of colonized popcorn go bad with tyvek lids. They colonized completely and then were basically forgotten about for a few months.

The colonized jars developed a grey powdery contamination.

Is it possible to make a jar that will last for several months?

--------------------
This space for rent

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2357261 - 02/19/04 11:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Preparing jars for long term storage before use. [Re: OldSpice]
    #2357294 - 02/19/04 11:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I know i could can the grains regular with the airtight seal and everything and they would keep, but that would require filling the jars with water.

I'm wondering if the jars could be opened, the contents drained, a filtered lid put on and the whole jar steamed to resterilize.

Or if I could sterilize some grain and dehydrate it. Then the customer could rehydrate and steam.

Worst case scenario I could supply two half pint jars, some vermiculite and some BRF to produce spawn for the straw.

--------------------
This space for rent

OfflineTrippytroll
Freedumb!!!!

Re: Preparing jars for long term storage before use. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2357715 - 02/20/04 01:26 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Would it not work to sterilize each ingredient, and bag it seperately and put the bags in the jar, for a sort of "do it yourself" kinda feel?

Like have the jar itself, and whatever you intend to use in it, aswell as "prepation instructions", of course included proper sterile techniques, maybe fit the bags so they can be torn while in the jar, and included clean gloves, or perhaps some sort of string to pull to release the substance into the jar?

I dunno probably a shitty suggestion, seems it would make for quite a bit more work.

Edited by Trippytroll (02/20/04 01:27 AM)

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2357973 - 02/20/04 03:05 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How do it the pros. I mean how does mycobag prepare his prefilled spawn bags for example ? Must the substrate be fresh or can it be stored for a prolonged time ?

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Preparing jars for long term storage before use. [Re: ragadinks]
    #2358035 - 02/20/04 03:35 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Prefilled spawn bags are not inoculated and if they're sterilized correctly and the filter patch is good then they can store them for some time. But I doubt that the storage time goes in months.
I once bought osyter mushroom dehydrated spawn and it was a complete fiasco. Even when I placed it on peroxidated agar it showed no growth. There is no other solution then to continiously make spawn, sell it while it is fresh and throw away spawn older then 1 month.

OfflineScourge
The Dr.
Loc: Near flint Michgan, USA
Re: Preparing jars for long term storage before use. [Re: ragadinks]
    #2372711 - 02/23/04 03:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i dont see why jars preloaded with correct mass of substrate and water would not last indefinatly, or damn neer. Years at least. While i have never tried it, it seems resonable to me that a steril air tight jar would last indefinatly. Thanks for this post. I'm gana try this to confirm.

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grow in Honor and Strength."

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: Preparing jars for long term storage before use. [Re: Scourge]
    #2372891 - 02/23/04 04:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Scourge said:
i dont see why jars preloaded with correct mass of substrate and water would not last indefinatly, or damn neer. Years at least.

I've prepared jars before and forgot about them for a few months. They didn't contaminate but they totally dehydrated.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2372956 - 02/23/04 05:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The main problem is that to totally sterilize rye or popcorn would take 24 hours or longer in the pressure cooker, and that would leave you with a goopy mess. When we pc for an hour at 15 lbs, what we're doing is giving a 'window of opportunity' for the mycelia to colonize the substrate before the contaminants can make a comeback. You could probably do it with full, non vented canning lids, but when the customer opens the jar, it will suck in air and contaminate. One idea would be to inoculate the grains and allow them to colonize, then refrigerate. That should give a few weeks at most. How would the customer pasteurize the straw?

Perhaps even better, if you will be supplying your friends store, would be to do all the work yourself, and give him bags of freshly inoculated straw to keep in stock. You can make up bags of straw via the straw log tek or any other straw tek, then place the bags into another bag with holes punched to hold in the humidity. That would give about a two to three week shelf life before it fruits, but would insure the 'ignorant' customer would achieve success.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Preparing jars for long term storage before use. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2373146 - 02/23/04 06:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Mycobag says their premade bags will last for 4 months.

I kind of want this kit to be analogous to cubensis cultivation. It's supposed to be all educational and shit and promote knowledge of home mycology.

The straw will only be about 1 gallon in volume, so most people should be able to heat pasteurize, if not, lime/bleach pasteurization works if the spawn:straw ratio is high enough.

--------------------
This space for rent

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale