Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Why love the Grateful Dead?
    #2370977 - 02/23/04 07:13 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hello fellow Shroomerites... I've been having an argument with a friend of mine about the Dead. As a bit of background, I LOVE the Dead. Unfortunately I am too young to have seen them in their hey-day, or even when Jerry was still alive. I saw them 3 times this previous summer, however, and even with the scene so worn out as it seemed to be, I still loved it. He says to me that they were mediocre musicians, that they were only (his words) "a bunch of hippys who got stoned and played goofy shit on their guitars... and because everybody else was stoned, they liked it." He also says that they only became "big" because there were so many insecure people who just wanted to get away from it all, and so went on tour. I tried to explain to him that the Dead started a movement, created "Acid Rock" and "jamming" - that they originated something new that went with the mindset of the late 60s, and the testament to their greatness was that they stayed around, touring and playing sold-out shows until the mid 90s! Can anybody explain why they love the Dead, or even if they don't like the Dead, why they respect them? As well, any musicians who could comment upon the technical styles of the Dead? I've heard from so many people - "OK, Garcia was good, but the rest of the band sucked." To me this makes no sense, as the whole point of the Dead was that they played together, as one! Thus, they all must have been good, to create this vibe.

Let me know something that I can tell to my friend to try to convince him that the Dead were and are something truly special.

Thanks!
Krishna

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: Krishna]
    #2371046 - 02/23/04 08:11 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Don't bother trying to convince anybody just enjoy!  :smile:

have you downloaded Picks 3 yet? Everything on that is from 1965 - 1970, they were just kids really, you tell me if they could play or not back THEN.... :gd_icon:

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#2371063 - 02/23/04 08:23 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yep, I gave up trying to convince him. Emailed him the 25 minuted Scarlet -> Fire from 77 at Cornell... he said "oh they keep just noodling around!" So I said, "All good things in all good time." But I'll take a listen to that Picks 3...Thanks for the advice!

Krishna

--------------------

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

#2371099 - 02/23/04 08:40 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Because they're the greatest! That's why.  :spliff: :gd_icon: :biggrin:

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: Ripple]
    #2372237 - 02/23/04 01:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ripple said:
Don't bother trying to convince anybody just enjoy!  :smile:

i second that....

:smile: :gd_icon:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: kindkesey]
    #2372345 - 02/23/04 02:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Some people just dont understand... but you do, and that's whats important.
Keep on truckin  :gd_icon:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: kindkesey]
    #2372373 - 02/23/04 02:18 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"sometimes we live no particular way but our own"

:gd_icon: :sun: :gd_icon: :sun: :gd_icon: :sun: :gd_icon: :sun: :gd_icon: :sun: :gd_icon: :sun:

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: Infrared]
    #2372379 - 02/23/04 02:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yeah man... thats rite. :gd_icon: :gd_icon: :gd_icon: :gd_icon:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #2372758 - 02/23/04 04:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
Yep, I gave up trying to convince him. Emailed him the 25 minuted Scarlet -> Fire from 77 at Cornell... he said "oh they keep just noodling around!"

If he can't catch it on that smoking jam he's never going to.
If you still want to try and convert him feed him a large dose of LSD and have him lie down and listen to that Cornell show. If that fails he's hopeless. Give em a kiss and let the straight world have him. :gd_icon:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: chinacat72]
    #2372793 - 02/23/04 04:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, but here is something I was discussing with him. He said, "Perhaps if I was on acid I'd like this... but how can you say its good music if you have to be on a certain drug to enjoy it?" Here I had no response... I explained a bit about how many of the Dead's jams are catered to the psychedelic mind, they loop around, noodle a bit, come back, go somewhere else, fly away, and then come back... just like your mind when you are on LSD or shrooms or what have you... Now that I think about it, I don't know anybody who is a fan of the Dead (I mean a fan, not just somebody who listens to 2 minutes and goes "oh yeah thats nice") who doesn't also (or hasn't also) used psychedelics. Any thoughts on this? Does it mean that the Dead aren't a band for everybody, but only for trippers? Or does it mean that they just played music from their souls, and their souls were the souls of trippers? Hmm... now I'm rambling and gotta sleep.

Krishna

--------------------

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

#2372853 - 02/23/04 04:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think the reason for that, besides the obvious one of there's always acid around them, is that they are kind of like acid themselves. The can take you to that place.
Acid dissolves the ego and so does the Grateful Dead. Their music is boundary dissolving and strips away your thoughts and desires till your in the present moment. A bunch of people together sharing the moment and tied to it by music that is raw and new flowing spontianouslly out the now. It's a group religous experiance. Add acid into the mix and it gets magical.

I find that I don't need LSD to get to that place anymore. Today was a prime example. I had to drive about 3 1/2 hours to a nearby city to get my passport fixed so I grabed a few GD cd's for the trip. I was completely ripped like I had dosed by the end, but hadn't done any drug. LSD,Meditation,Music they all have the power to transport us to the divine moment that is NOW. :gd_icon:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #2372864 - 02/23/04 04:29 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think that if you truly love music, you cant not love the dead :smile:

Jamming is the purest expression of music, no rules, just let the song go where its going to go.

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
    #2372933 - 02/23/04 04:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

if i have to talk to someone who doesnt like the dead i just say take a high dose of acid just one time and listen to the dead live, and then you'll understand and appreciate their music. You dont need to take acid everytime you wanna listen to their music because an lsd experience lasts your whole life.

kremlin- yes thats exactly it, most people get to caught up with over finished pop recordings now adays. The Dead broke music down to its core, sound! :wink: pure and simple expression that followed no rules ..... it just went where it felt like

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: Infrared]
    #2373259 - 02/23/04 06:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I once introduced a hardcore death metal hippie hater to the GD and LSD. He loved it!

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #2373348 - 02/23/04 07:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

There are more success stories than failures, but they do happen, nothing is for everyone. I just feel bad that they will miss out on the feeling. I'm quite sure that people feel, that the feeling they get, from listening to whatever music they may be into, is the best feeling in the world!

But they will never truly know now will they! Too bad  :frown:

:gd_icon:

I love the way that Chinacat describes the feeling of the dead's music because he's a fine writer, a poet even!  :smile: I can't do them justice with the written word, I express myself much better at  a show! I work the crowd and have a blast but i could never do the feeling justice with words.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: Why love the Grateful Dead? [Re: Ripple]
    #2373519 - 02/23/04 08:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the compliment Ripple. It means alot coming from you my brother. :heart:

Though I feel realy frustrated trying to describe the experiance. Were in the process of editing my book now and it's extremely painful. Some things just transcend language and words fall short of conveying the experiance. How do you describe something so powerful that words and thoughts crumble in it's prescence. Like seeing your baby being born or a universe being formed. How to describe a moment in our evolution so fine as thousands of brothers and sisters united at the heart and dissolved into the music.

You know what i'm talking about Ripple. Remember those moments when you would be walking through the crowd and people were estatic with tears of joy. Their lives forever changed for the better. Their minds opened up and and so full of LOVE :heart:. This world is old and has seen many wonderful things since it's birth. It's been several million years since we started walking on two feet and evolving to the present version of man. The Grateful Dead was the highpoint for our species. We used those feet to dance in celebration of life and love. That energy that is there-eternal and pure. It was a humbling honor to have been able to have lived and been part of that explosion called the Grateful Dead.

I remember when I was younger and had been touring for just a short while. It was one of those special nights. The air was thick with energy. I remember climbing up to the top of the seats and being consumed with awe at what I saw. I was tembling with waves of joy. It was then I realized that this band and legion of devoted fans were providing the most spritual experiance available. It wasn't just a bunch of kind hippies that liked to get stoned and listen to cool music. It was the light of creation shining through the cracks of this world and drawing us in like moths to a flame. Thousands of people being reunited with that inner light that shines in us all. It's a powerful experiance to find the light within you, but it's completly estatic to find it at the same time as thousands of other people. Especialy realizing it's all the same light shining and connecting you.

The Dead brought love and joy into this world on a mass scale. Or I should say that the light used the Dead to bring love and joy into the world. There is nothing more important than that. The energy of creation touches us any way it can. For some it's the words of Christ and other's the way of the Buddha. For us it was the Grateful Dead. :gd_icon:

I'll stop now. Agian words just don't cut it, exept for one.
Love. :heart:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #2373525 - 02/23/04 08:24 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

are you seriously wrightin a book china cat!......il take 2 :laugh: :gd_icon:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale