Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDreamfarer
rover
Male

Loc: WA, USA
Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?"
    #23685667 - 09/28/16 07:50 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Was reconnecting/smoking the the other night with some friends who I haven't seen in a year, telling them about going mad on truffles in Amsterdam and, once I got much more openly into exploring consciousness, exploring a few low doses of DMT, and one asked me to explain why I would want to alter my perception and experience of reality. Really, genuinely wanting to know.

Blitzed and watching No Man's Sky as I was, I tried to get him jazzed through talking about 1) DMT's natural presence in the body, 2) the history of its human use, 3) the short and non-cimpulsively-addictive nature of the trip, and 4) the shared visions, witnessings, and encounters had by people across both individual studies and era/geography. With a final little shpiel about the benefits of shaking up what we believe to be the lie agreed upon called reality and how psychedelics can often a person up, even if only gradually (as they did me) to the idea that the universe could be anything.

It was a rough, rushed hodge-pdge of McKenna, Pinchbeck, Hancock, and my own stuff, and while he ended by saying he'd be interested I realized I was rather unprepared.

So am curious to hear, Morpheus: given a few minutes, how would you answer the question?

--------------------
art and psychedelics help
they don't just “let you” have an experience.
they help you have your own experience.

https://alejoleo.wixsite.com/thespokenword

Edited by Dreamfarer (09/28/16 07:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: Dreamfarer]
    #23685810 - 09/28/16 08:36 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I like visiting different perspectives while solving problems, and that is a factor; but the larger factor is that I get a charmed sense of being (and a sense that things are supposed to be charmed that way at least once per week), as if the angels had waved their wands in my direction - for part of each session it goes that way.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleRaven44
Entry not permitted to muggles
Male

Loc: My sovereign reality bubble
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: redgreenvines]
    #23685868 - 09/28/16 09:08 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Two main reasons in my mind

1) to escape pain/fear

2) to learn (to expand ones conciousness)

I feel this would be a customized statement to the individual ur speaking to...

Buut, I might start with perspective is basically a personal opinion. By that I mean it can be changed simply by your beliefs patterns.

If u believe a certain race of humans are all bad people simply do to their race.. that perspective will never allow you to engage in any positive encounters with that race of people.

You will hold the perspective of thag race of people are all bad, and immediately upon sight u will destroy all chances of positive enlightening conversation with the perspective u hold. U will be thinking something along the lines of these people are all bad and ur thoughts  (or perspective )will never lead you to being friendly but the opposite

We are born into a society of collectively unconcious people. The society and our parents impress beliefs upon us very young that stick with us our entire lives. Those beliefs can be extremely difficult to break or to see through if u will and have an open mind and open thoughts on the given topic...

To change your perspective, or I might say to experience such a profound change in your conciousness can be extremely enlightening or rewarding for these reasons and more

Drugs like heroine, cocain, meth, alchohol are all used to escape pain and fear. End of story.

Hallucinogens aka entheogens are not. They do the opposite. They enlighten the user even when taken as a recreational toy. Although they should not be taken in such manner they should be respected to the fullest

EDIT: when I was microdosing for months and months on end... I found myself often having a thought...

Then I'd think twice, and often laugh at my previous thought because it was so obserd or negative... then I'd immediately have a much more positive or logical thought to follow

Hard to put into words, but the mushrooms were very positive humbling creatures it seems

Edited by Raven44 (09/28/16 11:07 PM)

Offlinezzripz
Stranger

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: Dreamfarer]
    #23686926 - 09/28/16 02:22 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

alright this is how I might respond to your friends, imagining their further reponses which I will quote and respond further too. Looks like fun:cool:

Quote:

"why would you want to alter perception?"

:strokebeard:

WHY do you assume your perception isn't altered now?
Quote:

what?! MY perception is normal. What do you mean by that??!

Have you heard of propaganda?

Quote:

Yes. what's that got to do with it?

well, the ruling elite and their helpers are constantly using it on you!

With the sole purpose of altering your perception to keep to their agenda, or what they want you to accept as 'normal reality'. Thus your question is quite ironic, IF you understand what I mean?

Edited by zzripz (09/28/16 02:23 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: zzripz]
    #23687139 - 09/28/16 03:11 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zzripz said:
alright this is how I might respond to your friends, imagining their further reponses which I will quote and respond further too. Looks like fun:cool:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

With the sole purpose of altering your perception to keep to their agenda, or what they want you to accept as 'normal reality'. Thus your question is quite ironic, IF you understand what I mean?

HOLY!
that explanation sounds like a whole argument,
beginning with converting the inquiry into an insult, and
continuing by resolving harmful intentions in the inquiry.

the fact is, psychedelics do something marvelous, maybe you do them or did, and it would be good to hear what you think about that, as opposed to more from the political manifesto s and conspiracies department.

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: redgreenvines]
    #23687525 - 09/28/16 04:53 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

beyond peradventure i want to know whether or not i can connect to a spiritual state of mind, and psychedelics are the way to do that.

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: akira_akuma] * 1
    #23687598 - 09/28/16 05:16 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Why wouldn't you? Our body is built to be an antennae, highly mobile and receptive to a broad spectrum of sensations wavelengths of energy which we interpret as sight, sound, touch. We can smell and taste the world.

I see my personal interpretation of reality (which may or may not [for the most part it will, but that's me] align with your personal interpretation of the same data) as a lens between my self and the outside world. This lens is like a microscope, telescope, the further lens (depending which end you look in [big or small] depending upon the task) would be the senses taking in the light (wavelengths of energy) and the closer lens would be personal conditioning and experience. This filter all know.

If you alter one, or both, the world changes. If you knowingly and willingly alter this lens with things like psychedelics it is putting kaleidoscopes in the lenses.
Experiencing things like "ego death", "breaking through" and so on, this is akin to stepping back from the lens and realizing you don't need to for awhile.

Anyone who is done a good amount of work on a microscope can tell you how good a relief it is to step away from the lens.

--------------------

The geometry of us is no chance. We are antennae, we are tuning forks, we are receiver and transmitters of all energy. We are more than we know.  - @entheolove

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for"  - Georgia O'Keefe

I think the word is vagina

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: nuentoter]
    #23687629 - 09/28/16 05:26 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

in a way, psychedelics make art of the universe of thought and physics, in a very literal sense. it is a tool, in that sense, too.

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

#23687759 - 09/28/16 06:03 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I like the calmness of an inhibited sympathetic nervous system and the reduction of the fight or flight response because it's like removing mental white noise.

--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.

InvisibleHobozen
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: Dreamfarer] * 1
    #23687774 - 09/28/16 06:07 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dreamfarer said:
Was reconnecting/smoking the the other night with some friends who I haven't seen in a year, telling them about going mad on truffles in Amsterdam and, once I got much more openly into exploring consciousness, exploring a few low doses of DMT, and one asked me to explain why I would want to alter my perception and experience of reality. Really, genuinely wanting to know.

Blitzed and watching No Man's Sky as I was, I tried to get him jazzed through talking about 1) DMT's natural presence in the body, 2) the history of its human use, 3) the short and non-cimpulsively-addictive nature of the trip, and 4) the shared visions, witnessings, and encounters had by people across both individual studies and era/geography. With a final little shpiel about the benefits of shaking up what we believe to be the lie agreed upon called reality and how psychedelics can often a person up, even if only gradually (as they did me) to the idea that the universe could be anything.

It was a rough, rushed hodge-pdge of McKenna, Pinchbeck, Hancock, and my own stuff, and while he ended by saying he'd be interested I realized I was rather unprepared.

So am curious to hear, Morpheus: given a few minutes, how would you answer the question?

The first answer that comes to mind would be answering with another question... how can we know ourselves if we never give our mind space and the ability to see it from a new perspective?

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: Hobozen]
    #23688261 - 09/28/16 08:05 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I alter my perception for a variety of different reasons.  They are in no particular order.

Avoid unwanted thoughts/feelings
Fun/Amusement
To feel good
To experience something different

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

InvisibleHobozen
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #23688280 - 09/28/16 08:10 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
Avoid unwanted thoughts/feelings
Fun/Amusement
To feel good
To experience something different

You just answered why I love getting drunk.  There's more to tripping man; be more convincing.

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

#23688378 - 09/28/16 08:40 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Sometimes it's nice to alter your perceptions because some perceptions are based on the fears and worries of imagination and are not actual reflections of the reality someone has experienced.

Psychedelics are beneficial in allowing me to reflect on reality instead of the fantasies in my head, they aid me to define what is my imagination and what is my reality.

--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.

Offlinezzripz
Stranger

#23689279 - 09/29/16 04:39 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
Quote:

zzripz said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HOLY!
that explanation sounds like a whole argument,
beginning with converting the inquiry into an insult, and
continuing by resolving harmful intentions in the inquiry.

the fact is, psychedelics do something marvelous, maybe you do them or did, and it would be good to hear what you think about that, as opposed to more from the political manifesto s and conspiracies department.

you may file away subjects into safe separated com-part-ments, I do not and rather see interelation

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: Raven44]
    #23692807 - 09/30/16 01:01 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dreamfarer said:

Drugs like heroine, cocaine, meth, alcohol are all used to escape pain and fear. End of story.

I think most chemical alteration of the mind, such as these, are used to escape our emotions.

We are terrified to look squarely at our inner emotional world.

So we numb ourselves . . .

Offlinezzripz
Stranger

Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: RJ Tubs 202]
    #23692954 - 09/30/16 04:21 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

they are also agents used to escape unbearable cages people have to live in

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
    #23693018 - 09/30/16 05:30 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I consider living a life when one never alters one's perception to be as boring as just rocking back and forth in a straightjacket all day.

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: viktor]
    #23693115 - 09/30/16 06:48 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

confinement

--------------------

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
    #23693125 - 09/30/16 06:53 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Exactly. A suffocating confinement; it feels utterly unnatural for me to not alter my perception.

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Offlinepsilosalvia
Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bat Country
Re: Answering the question "why would you want to alter perception?" [Re: viktor]
    #23693460 - 09/30/16 09:01 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I alter my perception to open my mind to points of view about my problems and personality, to work on my self on a higher consciousness-level.

All in all, simply to have a more meaningful and better life.

--------------------

“Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.” -Edward Teach.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies