Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

no pins yet ?
    #2368225 - 02/22/04 04:15 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

well, i dont really anticipate anything out of this, but i had a jar of birdseed that seemed to have stalled out, so i thought mayeb it was contammed. I dumped out the birdseed but there were like 5 good chunks of mycelium(like maybe 30% of the jar). So i took the chunks out and broke them down in a soup bowl and put saran wrap over it then put it in my incubator, and the next day the mycelium was growing nice and healthy again, so i immediately put it into a fruiting chamber with perlite, i didnt put any casing over it, so it is just straight birdseed.

its been 10 days and i have fanned it 3 times a day, every 8 hours. There is just barely starting to show bumps in the mycelium(hyphal knots i guess) so am i getting anywhere with this? does it just take a long time for pins to form without a casing layer? Should i be fanning this much, i dont think there is much humidity in there, temp is 65 - 72F, so temp is good, im thinkin its patience and humidity that is my problem....but i was wonderin if it jsut take a long ass time without a casing layer for pins to form and if i should add more perlite, cuz i only put a small amount in there, like one little hand full, it doesnt cover anywhere near the whole bottom layer of the fruiting chamber.

any tips? thank you

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: no pins yet ? [Re: ]
    #2368236 - 02/22/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

hard to say, from my xperience uncased WBS is hard to pin, i would put just a little bit of verm on top or something as ive found that it works well, same with cakes, it seems to provide a point off which the pin can form. Just my two cents

Grumpy Old Man.

Re: no pins yet ? [Re: Yarry]
    #2368270 - 02/22/04 04:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, i was thinkin about that too. Im gonna do it... thanks man

anybody else think this would be a bad idea since hyphal knots seem to be forming(but barely) would it ruin anything to do this?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation