Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNumeroEno
I come from the land of lizards
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge
Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs!
    #23675081 - 09/24/16 07:58 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

This grow log utilizes a new quick pasteurization method I've been working on. I wanted to be able to do the whole pasteurization process in a 2 hour timeframe. Since I'm a die hard turd farmer, I wanted to devise a way to get from measuring dry ingredients to taping the tub up in 3 hours or less. Preliminary results are promising enough that I feel like I can write this up.

Anyway, this method hinges on the idea that if you never get the substrate above 167f, yet maintain the temp above 140f, which are the thermal death points for actinomyces bacteria and trichoderma respectively, that a 60 minute pasteurization cycle and quick cooling will work, because the thermophilic bacteria is never harmed, thus eliminating the waiting period for the bacteria to recolonize the substrate. To be clear, thermophilic bacteria is good, and of course trichoderma is very, very bad.

As of writing this, I have 2 tubs pinning, 2 tubs in their casing run, and 2 tubs in their spawn run all looking great using this method. So here's how I do it.

A pot of water was put on the stove to heat, and 4 dry quarts of shredded horse manure, and 4 dry quarts of vermiculite were mixed dry in a 5 gallon bucket.

The water was heated to 150f, and approximately 3 quarts of hot water was added to the bucket, and contents were thoroughly mixed. The lid was then placed on the bucket, and the temperature of the water in the pot was raised to 155f

The hydrated substrate was loaded into 3 half gallon jars, somewhat compacted, and the mouths covered in foil. The thermometer probe was inserted into the middle of one of the jars. After hydrating, the substrate ranged from 115-120f over the different batches.

The pot, an old and non functional 23qt Presto, was covered, and an alarm on the thermometer was set to go off at 135f. The stove was turned to its very lowest setting to avoid the risk of the water temperature exceeding the desired temperature.

Once the internal temperature of the substrate reached 135f, the stove was turned off, and a timer was set for 45 minutes.

Here we are 10 minutes after turning the stove off. The core temp is already at 140, which is where the trichoderma spores start getting neutralized. The temp will continue to climb, however.

40 minutes in, the core temperature peaks at 149f. This is on the low end. The temp usually peaks around 155, and gets as high as 160. Still well short of the 167 where the beneficial bacteria starts dying. Usually you would think that if the core temp is 150, that the water and the substrate closer to the wall of the jar would be much hotter, but the temp of the water was dialed in to about 150. It varies a little, but as long as you turn the stove down to low once you hit your target water temp, it stays where you want it.

And here we are. After one hour of pasteurization, the jars are emptied onto a sheet of plastic, which will serve as our liner, and placed in front of the flowhood to cool.

Now it's time to spawn the tub! A spawn bag containing approximately 5 quarts is mixed with the substrate in a 45 quart monotub.

And the tub is spawned! Make sure your substrate is smooth, flat, and level. Now for the fun pics. Tubs 1 and 2 are starting to pin. This writeup followed the whole preparation process for tub #7.

One caveat. I use a pretty high spawn ratio for this. YMMV with lower spawn ratios. Now for the pics. I'll keep this updated as things develop. The spawn runs has been taking 3 days, and the casing run another 3 days. I attribute the fast spawn run to the high spawn ratio. More to come folks. Hope you enjoy this.

Tub 1: pinset coming in very nice.

Tub 2: pinset is not as good as tub 1, despite exact same methods and conditions.

--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

Edited by NumeroEno (09/26/16 10:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSynocybin
Thread Killer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here and There
Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: NumeroEno]
    #23675341 - 09/24/16 09:48 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

very nice indeed

:popcorn:

--------------------
Synocybin's Penis Envy Grow Log!
OUTDOOR SPENT TRAY GROW PICS!!
X7X Grow Log

Luigi on Shrooms said:
Its been 4weeks since i cased what is going on?
i used human manure(mine) vermiculite and coco coir

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: Synocybin]
    #23675346 - 09/24/16 09:50 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I'm doing one more pasteurization run tonight, to get tub #8 all buttoned up.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

OfflineSynocybin
Thread Killer
Male User Gallery

Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: Synocybin]
    #23675347 - 09/24/16 09:51 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

also what is your ratio?

ive been wanting to run some bigger tubs lately and dont want to completely over do myself

--------------------
X7X Grow Log

Luigi on Shrooms said:

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

#23675369 - 09/24/16 10:03 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

It's 3 half gallons, somewhat packed, of hpoo/verm to 5ish quarts of oats. I start with 4 dry quarts of poo and 4 dry quarts of verm, but it doesn't expand when it's hydrated, and actually compresses more once loaded into jars. When I make spawn, I start with 6 dry quarts of oats, and they don't quite double in volume.

I case the tubs with 50/50 peat/verm pasteurized the same way. I use a pretty thick casing layer so I'm guessing there are a lot of pins in the second tub that haven't popped through yet.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

OfflineSynocybin
Thread Killer
Male User Gallery

Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: NumeroEno]
    #23675382 - 09/24/16 10:07 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

for sure..

i normally just do minis in a 14.5 qt showoff boxes so i only use 2 or 3 qts of spawn and maybe two qts of coir.. keep it even...

but if im gonna start investing my time to 45qt tubs then i need a good ratio to go with..  wont do 7 or 10 at a time, 1 or 2 seems enough to kill my spirit if they fail haha

--------------------
X7X Grow Log

Luigi on Shrooms said:

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

#23675409 - 09/24/16 10:20 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I'm recently back from a pretty long break from the forum and cultivating. I had serious problems making clean spawn, and after a long succession of failures I just got discouraged. What I think happened at my old place is that I was fruiting tubs in the same room as I was making spawn, and after I let a few tubs get way overgrown with trich the spore load skyrocketed. I moved into a new place last month and set up a proper spawn room and separate fruiting room, and that really inspired me to start rocking again. All the spawn I've made in the new place has come out clean so now I'm going all out.

I love the 45 quart tubs. They have the same footprint as a 66 quart tub but they're not as tall, so I can fit more in the same amount of space. Plus they come in really cheap 3 packs from Costco.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

#23679414 - 09/26/16 10:41 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Updated pic of tub #1 in OP. Tub #2 is catching up. Tubs #3 and #4 are starting to pin. Tubs #5 and #6 are going to be ready to case this evening. Tubs #7 and #8 are colonizing quickly. Here's what tub #1 looks like right now.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

InvisibleFantastic Mr. Fox
Grass Seed Connoisseur

Loc: Flag
    #23679715 - 09/26/16 12:21 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Sub'd for the ride
This should be great!

--------------------
Giving is all we have, for we're just grateful to be alive

:kratom:

Grass Seed Connoisseur

Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: Fantastic Mr. Fox]
    #23679782 - 09/26/16 12:45 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I feel the same about the 45qt tubs.  The have the same ground space 66qt and have 1/4 more space than my 18gal.

--------------------

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: Fantastic Mr. Fox]
    #23679786 - 09/26/16 12:48 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I've really been digging them. The fact that they come in a 3 pack that costs under 20 bucks is the best part.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

Offlinespore-ty
Male

Loc: In the bush
    #23679832 - 09/26/16 01:00 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Did you remove any pins to help.promote more growth?

Edited by spore-ty (09/26/16 01:01 PM)

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: spore-ty]
    #23679893 - 09/26/16 01:28 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

spore-ty said:
Did you remove any pins to help.promote more growth?

Nah I'm letting each tub do its thing. Tub #2 has fewer pins so I'm expecting larger mushrooms, and I'm guessing each one will be a bit different. I'm letting each tub go for 2 flushes. All of these tubs came from the same plate, which came from an invitro pin, so it will be interesting to see how this culture plays out over this many tubs.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

Grass Seed Connoisseur

#23680194 - 09/26/16 03:16 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Are you expecting consistent or staggering results? Seeing tht it's from the same monoculture.

I ask because I personally don't have much experience with growing out invitro cultures .

--------------------

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

#23680625 - 09/26/16 05:56 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

It's definitely not a monoculture. It's just from an invitro pin off a multispore plate. Lots of different strains in the mix, so I'm expecting a significant amount of variation between tubs. Tub 3 is starting to fruit and the pins are few and far between but huge.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23680757 - 09/26/16 06:34 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
But if you're in a hurry, and really got to go
If you're in a hurry, might have to find out slow
That it's one thing to try and another to fly
You get there quicker just a step at a time
It's one thing to bark, another to bite
The show ain't over till you pack up at night

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under your bed Flag
Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: filthyknees]
    #23680838 - 09/26/16 06:51 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Looking good man

--------------------

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: Boogieman47]
    #23684006 - 09/27/16 06:06 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Some new pics from today. Tub 1 is filling in nicely. The cluster and the fattie are both from tub 3, and that cluster looks like a good tissue clone candidate. Tub 2 still doesn't look very impressive but I'm starting to see lots of pins starting to poke through the casing layer.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Trusted Cultivator
    #23684111 - 09/27/16 06:33 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Nice!

InvisibleNumeroEno
Male User Gallery

Re: Eno's fall APE extravaganza -- quick pasteurized hpoo/verm and lots of 45qt tubs! [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #23684170 - 09/27/16 06:47 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I forgot how slow these fuckers grow. It's probably going to be a week still until the first flush in the first tub is ready to pick. I hope they'll get big with the open holes in the tubs. The holes have been open in two of the tubs for a full week and still have droplets on the surface. I know that the real big ones don't come until the second flush though.

--------------------

DOG FOOD AGAR

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds