Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us"
    #2367260 - 02/22/04 08:46 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Pentagon tells Bush: climate change will destroy us

? Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
? Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
? Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

Mark Townsend and Paul Harris in New York
Sunday February 22, 2004
The Observer

Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters.
A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.

'Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,' concludes the Pentagon analysis. 'Once again, warfare would define human life.'

The findings will prove humiliating to the Bush administration, which has repeatedly denied that climate change even exists. Experts said that they will also make unsettling reading for a President who has insisted national defence is a priority.

The report was commissioned by influential Pentagon defence adviser Andrew Marshall, who has held considerable sway on US military thinking over the past three decades. He was the man behind a sweeping recent review aimed at transforming the American military under Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

Climate change 'should be elevated beyond a scientific debate to a US national security concern', say the authors, Peter Schwartz, CIA consultant and former head of planning at Royal Dutch/Shell Group, and Doug Randall of the California-based Global Business Network.

An imminent scenario of catastrophic climate change is 'plausible and would challenge United States national security in ways that should be considered immediately', they conclude. As early as next year widespread flooding by a rise in sea levels will create major upheaval for millions.

Last week the Bush administration came under heavy fire from a large body of respected scientists who claimed that it cherry-picked science to suit its policy agenda and suppressed studies that it did not like. Jeremy Symons, a former whistleblower at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), said that suppression of the report for four months was a further example of the White House trying to bury the threat of climate change.

Senior climatologists, however, believe that their verdicts could prove the catalyst in forcing Bush to accept climate change as a real and happening phenomenon. They also hope it will convince the United States to sign up to global treaties to reduce the rate of climatic change.

Sir John Houghton, former chief executive of the Meteorological Office - and the first senior figure to liken the threat of climate change to that of terrorism - said: 'If the Pentagon is sending out that sort of message, then this is an important document indeed.'

Bob Watson, chief scientist for the World Bank and former chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, added that the Pentagon's dire warnings could no longer be ignored.

'You've got a President who says global warming is a hoax, and across the Potomac river you've got a Pentagon preparing for climate wars. It's pretty scary when Bush starts to ignore his own government on this issue,' said Rob Gueterbock of Greenpeace.

Symons said the Bush administration's close links to high-powered energy and oil companies was vital in understanding why climate change was received sceptically in the Oval Office. 'This administration is ignoring the evidence in order to placate a handful of large energy and oil companies,' he added.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1153513,00.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: Xlea321]
    #2367281 - 02/22/04 09:01 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Don't worry, Alex, and tell the folks at the Pentagon not to worry, either.

The Libertarians on this forum have already demonstrated that global warming is nothing to worry about . . . .

buahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2367286 - 02/22/04 09:03 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Oh I see, false alarm everybody.. :lol:

I blame those damn communists at the Pentagon  :laugh:

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2367292 - 02/22/04 09:08 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Good. The planet will get a chance to rid of the human disease.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2367297 - 02/22/04 09:13 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2367373 - 02/22/04 09:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Somehow, in some way, this is all Clinton's fault. You need to look at these things in the proper context.

Slight tangent:
The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.

Does anyone else find it kind of sad that everything these days seems to be a comparison to the threat of terrorism in order to just get people to sit up and take notice?

Hunger and starvation are bigger killers than terrorism.
AIDS is a bigger killer than terrorism.
Road traffic accidents are a bigger killer than terrorism.
Cancer is a bigger killer than terrorism.

So much shit going on and yet terrorism is the yardstick by which everything else is now measured against.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: Edame]
    #2367384 - 02/22/04 10:02 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm going to go buy some duct tape and plastic sheeting.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2367407 - 02/22/04 10:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, but you can't drop bombs on starvation, AIDS, road traffic accidents, or cancer.

You also can't whip up patriotic fervor over those things. "Wear Your Seatbelt for America!" etc.

Talking about them won't get you votes.

Basically, most people are not interested in intangible things. Nebulous phenomena like starvation, AIDS, road accidents, cancer, etc., are difficult to visualize and impossible to personify, whereas terrorism is easy to personify, especially easy since it involves funny-looking Arabs. And so everything turns into a great drama, good vs. evil, fighting, wars, explosions, just like Hollywood.

Politics today is essentially not about the contest of ideas, it's about the manipulation of symbols. That's why all of our debates here (and all other such debates, anywhere) are essentially irrelevant to the actual workings of power in the world.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2368130 - 02/22/04 01:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think I could have put it any better myself.

See, everyone got boners over the technology, and it was pretty incredible. Watching missiles fly down air vents, pretty unbelievable. But couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people? Know what I mean? Fly over Ethiopia, "There's a guy that needs a banana!" SHOOP! The Stealth Bannana! SmartFruit! [/hicks]

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2368172 - 02/22/04 01:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

? Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
? Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
? Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

the impending ice age is prolly the pentagon's worst-kept secret..especially for those of us in the northeast (nytimes)...

Quote:

Hunger and starvation are bigger killers than terrorism.
Cancer is a bigger killer than terrorism.

Bush is a bigger killer than terrorism.
Cheney is a bigger killer than terrorism.
Rove is a bigger killer than terrorism.
Rice is a bigger killer than terrorism.
Ashwipe is a bigger killer than terrorism.
Haliburton is a bigger killer than terrorism.
Bechtel is a bigger killer than terrorism.

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: afoaf]
    #2368187 - 02/22/04 02:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I'm going to go buy some duct tape and plastic sheeting. 

You should be ok then. Make sure you have vent holes,  :eek: Homeland Security website has some great tips.

The findings will prove humiliating to the Bush administration

--------------------

http://www.sacredshrooms.org

Anonymous

#2368194 - 02/22/04 02:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

'Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,' concludes the Pentagon analysis. 'Once again, warfare would define human life.'

Climate change 'should be elevated beyond a scientific debate to a US national security concern', say the authors...

An imminent scenario of catastrophic climate change is 'plausible and would challenge United States national security in ways that should be considered immediately', they conclude. As early as next year widespread flooding by a rise in sea levels will create major upheaval for millions. 

pentagon officials creating rationalizations to increase military spending and vastly expand our armed forces?

simply shocking.  :smirk:

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: ]
    #2368425 - 02/22/04 03:12 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

So if someone on the left raises concerns it's purely about making money for the "global warming lobby" and if the Pentagon says the same thing it's about making money for defence contractors? Neither can be telling the truth?

Pretty self-fulfilling world you live in there mush.

Let me take a wild guess here...if anyone says climate change doesn't exist they're going solely on "evidence"  :rolleyes:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2368470 - 02/22/04 03:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Natural climate change is a certainty.

Now if you mean man made climate change. it's more like lack of evidence.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

#2368681 - 02/22/04 04:44 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

So if someone on the left raises concerns it's purely about making money for the "global warming lobby" and if the Pentagon says the same thing it's about making money for defence contractors? Neither can be telling the truth?

i never said anything like that. i'm just saying that the pentagon's interests here are pretty transparent.

Invisiblejp411896
AsteroidsChampeen
 User Gallery

Loc: No idea
    #2368764 - 02/22/04 05:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"Hunger and starvation are bigger killers than terrorism.
Cancer is a bigger killer than terrorism."

How many people die each year due to situations that most people would call terrorism? Would I be wrong to say that lightning is even a bigger killer (in all seriousness). I'm assuming that the commonly held definition of terrorism is the stereotype of a group with no real army per se that is waging violence against civilian targets and faces an overwhelmingly stronget opponent. This isn't my personal definition, only what I believe most people would define it as.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2368784 - 02/22/04 05:18 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

so i wonder if this new movie "the day after tomorrow" has anything to do with this/... meh

--------------------
What?

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB
Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2368903 - 02/22/04 05:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

i agree.

Whats the worst that comes out of an ice age, or global warming or whatever?

people realize "oops, we fucked up", then they get smarter about what we can and can't do. Auto industry makes hydrogen cars priority, huge factories cut down on emissions or get shut down, people take kyoto seriously and after a thousand years we are back to the state we should have been in.

OR we countinue to ignore it. People die of freezing, and desertification takes away usable farmland, more people die, fresh water sources get used up, more people die.Ice caps melt, waterworld style-shit ensues. Then we realized "oops, we're fucking up" (see paragraph above)

either case is bad no doubt, but it sure beats the hell out of a nuclear winter *cough* screw bush *cough*

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2368908 - 02/22/04 05:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

There's plenty of evidence. If you mean lack of proof then you'd be correct.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Pentagon: "Climate change will destroy us" [Re: ]
    #2370364 - 02/23/04 12:01 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i never said anything like that. i'm just saying that the pentagon's interests here are pretty transparent.

How do you figure? As the article points out, how do you fight climate change with increased defence spenditure? Seems like the findings are completely against pentagon interests because more money needs diverting from defence to environmental issues.

You're also forgetting the report has been kept secret. Do you also believe the Pentagon would just make this up to theoretically "increase defense spending"?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder