Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKenetic
Nam Sayin
 User Gallery

Loc: I don't believe in land Flag
Re: How to Make 150 ppm Chlorine Solution [Re: bodhisatta]
    #23662398 - 09/20/16 05:01 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Excellent, thank you all

--------------------
Todo Cambia

:cookiemonster::elmo:

DMT said: Everyone know's me, they just don't know it yet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Loc: the abyss
Re: How to Make 150 ppm Chlorine Solution [Re: Kenetic]
    #23662447 - 09/20/16 05:21 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

thats about as clear and concise as it could get, good job bodhi, thanks for explaining the math :highfive1:

@kenetic, are you currently trying to treat a pseudomonas outbreak? or are you just making sure you understand correctly for when you need it? if so id be curious to hear about the details of the situation (what corrective actions have been taken so far, pics, etc.)

there are a bunch of people on here who recommend using 150 ppm chlorine solution for ALL watering/misting. Does anyone have any experience with that, or any notes on the subject? seems like lots of commercial farms do it, but i have no clue

--------------------

C10's Agar Guide + Tips and Tricks | c10's Flow Hood Build Guide

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies"
― Friedrich Nietzsche

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to Make 150 ppm Chlorine Solution [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #23662463 - 09/20/16 05:33 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

if I were going to do everyday misting with chlorine I might try using 15ppm first. if 150ppm is for an actual sighting of pesudo.

15ppm is roughly 10x more ppm available chlorine than most cities tap water

amazon has lots of cheap options
search
serological pipette
there's all sorts of useful things there

OfflineKenetic
Nam Sayin
 User Gallery

Loc: I don't believe in land Flag
    #23662534 - 09/20/16 06:01 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Well I recently became aware of the disease when my last batch was infected by it, and it seems to be fairly common so I am open to ways to deal with it should I encounter it again.

--------------------
Todo Cambia

:cookiemonster::elmo:

DMT said: Everyone know's me, they just don't know it yet

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: How to Make 150 ppm Chlorine Solution [Re: Kenetic]
    #23662567 - 09/20/16 06:16 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I dont wanna put words in blackouts mouth but I think his point was 150-250ppm isnt an exact number, not that you shouldn't be meticulous when working with numbers in ppm/very small numbers.

and I have to say I agree with him :shrug:

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Re: How to Make 150 ppm Chlorine Solution [Re: spacechildo]
    #23662639 - 09/20/16 06:33 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bodhi said:
if I were going to do everyday misting with chlorine I might try using 15ppm first. if 150ppm is for an actual sighting of pesudo.

15ppm is roughly 10x more ppm available chlorine than most cities tap water

makes sense to me. i try not to complicate things more than necessary and not add anything without good reason (or as an experiment), so that it is easier to debug when something goes wrong.

and i bet pseudo isnt the only thing killed by this solution, so regular misting/watering with it could very well kill off beneficial microbes. This wouldnt matter at all in some cases, and would be essential in others, since some species depend on microbes in the soil (or casing layer) to fruit. a highly domesticated agaricus or cubensis isnt going to need much help from other microbes, which probably explains why some agaricus growers use chlorine solution for all watering. if they were growing a species that depends on a microbial trigger to fruit (or depends on a symbiotic relationship at some other point in its lifecycle), that probably wouldnt work.

apparently, 150 ppm chlorine solution is also recommended for postharvest vegetable/produce washing to kill soilborne and waterborne pathogens

Quote:

serological pipette

THIS. these things are awesome, changed my life haha... i have them in several sizes and multiples of each, they are so handy. they are dirt cheap too. but MAKE SURE you also get a pipette bulb and/or pipette controller to be able to use it... when i first got mine i forgot to get a bulb, and drove myself crazy trying to figure out how the hell this thing made anything EASIER lol

it is so helpful to use tools that were actually made for microbiology :smile: a lot of it is suprisingly cheap. at the very least look into: media bottles, serological pipettes, flow hood, surgical/lab gowns, lab glassware (beakers, flasks, graduated cylinders, distillation apparatus, chromatography columns, etc), chems to do simple A/B extractions, buchner funnels and vaccuum flasks (OMG this and a vacuum aspirator changed my life, and the lives of all my friends in the cannabis concentrate industry; vacuum filtration FTW).... i think im getting a boner lol... i love learning the way people who actually study and practice microbiology do things, and the tools they use, because they are ALWAYS better than the rigged-up shit i was/am using

Quote:

kenetic said:
Well I recently became aware of the disease when my last batch was infected by it, and it seems to be fairly common so I am open to ways to deal with it should I encounter it again.

smart man. it seems to begin when a drop of water is left on the surface of a fruit, so i have been trying to turn my humidity down a bit once fruits begin to show, as TMC recommends, and cranking up FAE to ensure that water doesnt get a chance to stagnate. keep us posted, id love to hear your experience moving forward 

Quote:

spacechildo said:
I dont wanna put words in blackouts mouth but I think his point was 150-250ppm isnt an exact number, not that you shouldn't be meticulous when working with numbers in ppm/very small numbers.

and I have to say I agree with him :shrug:

I made it quite clear in my original post that TMC recommends a range, and at no point suggested otherwise

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
blackout brought up several good points, including pointing out that TMC recommends a range

so like i said, there is no argument there. Also like i said:

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
no one said a 149 ppm solution wouldnt kill pseudomonas, i just wanted to make sure people had the info at hand to make the calculations for making a 150 ppm solution based on the available chlorine of their particular sodium hypochlorite product.

--------------------

"Partial knowledge is more triumphant than complete knowledge; it takes things to be simpler than they are, and so makes its theory more popular and convincing."

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#23662660 - 09/20/16 06:40 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

OK, you just seemed like you didn't get his point when you said this:

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
missing your point? you haven't made a point, or clearly stated any argument. i really think you should dial back the animosity a bit, and think

"near enough" is not the correct way to calculate anything, especially not a ppm solution, please dont spread misinformation

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#23662693 - 09/20/16 06:50 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

i wouldnt have said that TMC called for a range of 150-250 ppm in the OP if i didnt get that much

so i agreed and reiterated it when he said it, which certainly doesnt constitute an argument

but yeah i stand by that statement

Quote:

"near enough" is not the correct way to calculate anything, especially not a ppm solution, please dont spread misinformation

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#23662800 - 09/20/16 07:21 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

well okay, you just seemed kinda pissed and it seemed to me you werent understanding each other correctly, simply tried to help out.

not to say your thread isn't useful but IMO the best ways to deal with pseudomonas is to not get them in the first place.
prevent instead of fixing by cutting down misting, especially if your tubs arent dialed in for good FAE!

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#23663009 - 09/20/16 08:18 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Nah man

certainly nothing to get pissed about, we are all adults, we can have a conversation without looking for reasons to get pissed, taking something out of context, or having to try to "argue" without actually putting forth an argument

anything ive said in this thread was for the sake of clarity and the benefit of anyone reading, people should try not to take that personally

And of course the best way to deal with pseudomonas is to not get them in the first place (a little redundant there) :rolleyes:

i also made it very clear in the OP that for the purpose of treating pseudomonas fixing the conditions that led to their becoming established should be the first step. also mentioned that the solution will not help UNLESS you also fix the conditions, and that fixing the conditions can clear it up without the solution. also mentioned some ways to prevent them. context is everything

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited by c10h12n2o (08/28/20 07:17 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #23663028 - 09/20/16 08:23 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

I mouth pipette everything, don't try that at home. I mouth pipette cycloheximide lol. Skillz for days.

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#23663095 - 09/20/16 08:40 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

lmao.... and here on the right we can see bodhi mouth pipetting dichloromethane

mouth pipetting seems like something a horny high school chemistry teacher would teach hahaha... "girl you gotta suck harder than that!"

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Re: How to Make 150 ppm Chlorine Solution [Re: c10h12n2o] * 1
    #23664120 - 09/21/16 05:04 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
pissed? i assure you, me pissed sounds entirely different haha... why in the world would i be pissed at someone for acting thickheaded?

well maybe pissed wasn't the right word, but comments like that makes you sound passive aggressive as if you were an offended chick :shrug:

And you seem to have a history of getting upset when you dont understand what other people mean, like you got upset with me for not explaining BE in a way you could understand etc :lol:

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#23665242 - 09/21/16 02:30 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

what in the world are you talking about? nothing to be offended about, i dont get offended. im perfectly capable of correcting misinformation without getting offended by it lol... im not emotionally invested in this forum , and i think those who are are quite silly

i will leave all the passive aggressive comments, misinterpretations, and trying to create an argument where none exists to you, that really seems to be your flavor, but i am here to learn and discuss

i make a point to be clear and succinct, and you seem to make a habit out of taking it personally

Quote:

And you seem to have a history of getting upset when you dont understand what other people mean, like you got upset with me for not explaining BE in a way you could understand etc :lol:

again, what in the world are you talking about? idk if you are confusing me with someone else, or if you are just making stuff up.... but that didnt happen

if you have something to add please do, but if you are going to try to argue please put forth an actual argument. ideally one that adds something constructive to the discussion :rolleyes:

i get that you are trying to be rude/contentious/antagonistic, and that personal attacks and name-calling is your best attempt to do so, but  it is sorely offbase and you are doing a very poor job of it.

we are trying to have a discussion here, take that shit to the pub

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited by c10h12n2o (09/21/16 02:40 PM)

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

#23665268 - 09/21/16 02:40 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

c10h12n2o said:
i will leave all the passive aggressive comments, misinterpretations, and trying to create an argument where none exists to you, that really seems to be your flavor, but i am here to learn and discuss

:goodluck:
:lol:

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

#23665275 - 09/21/16 02:43 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

:cheers: :bye:

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to Make page 3 suck [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #23666283 - 09/21/16 08:31 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

:offtopicman:  :beatadeadhorse:

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Re: How to Make page 3 suck [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #23667886 - 09/22/16 12:11 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

sorry about my part in that, I just didnt expect it to be such a long winded task to explain how 150-250 isnt an exact number.

Invisiblec10h12n2o
serial dilutor
 User Gallery

Re: How to Make page 3 suck [Re: spacechildo]
    #23668012 - 09/22/16 12:56 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

feel free to actually contribute to the conversation... :rolleyes: or find something better to do?

repeating things that were said in the OP, and have been reiterated a dozen times, trying to argue without making an actual argument, and name calling / being rude for its own sake certainly isnt adding adding anything

--------------------

― Friedrich Nietzsche

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to Make page 3 suck [Re: c10h12n2o]
    #23668036 - 09/22/16 01:04 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Yep we got it...

I would error on the low side. Use the lowest concentration that's effective is usually the rule of thumb in industry

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom