Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDGB
Stranger
Waterless cold stratification and indefinite storage of viable poppy seeds?
    #23657589 - 09/19/16 02:04 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Waterless cold stratification and indefinite storage of viable poppy seeds?

So I had two main questions, first being in an environment that never sees sub 80F temp and therefor no winter/frost/cold nights pre cold stratification prior to sowing would be important too successful growing in my area. I’ve seen multiple people mentioning that they just throw their recently bought seed packets into the fridge or freezer for a time period before planting and that counts as cold stratification. My question is does that actually work without the seeds being exposed to BOTH moisture and cold? Because I’ve read something mentioning another cold species that it must have both, but I was unable to find a concrete answer if that was also the case for Somniferous, all the evidence I’ve read about cold storage of dried seeds seems to be anecdotal, how much success that people have been seeing could be attributed to the time the dry seeds were stored in the fridge/freezer and not to simply being exposed once sowed to lower temperatures during the night?  So far sowing seeds onto damp peat pellets before storing them in the fridge for a week has worked but has lead to some mold growth while in the fridge, hopefully cold stratification can be done on dry seeds, or at least jump start that, I would like to be able to cut the fridge storage time in half or all together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratification_(botany) ; mentions that moisture is required but talks about it as a general rule and not species specific.

My second question has to do with the long term storage of viable poppy seeds. I’ve already read though all of ethnobotanical sub forum, and I mean all, every post tagged as poppy I’ve read though including a number of general gardening forums and just like my first question is more of a clarification of what has already been answered elsewhere. There are multiple mentions of storage for poppy seed stock, and the average response seems to be 1-2 years in a cool dark place, 3-5 years in a sealed container in the fridge and a few mentions of indefinite storage in the freezer. The thing about that is I’ve seen more often than not people just mention the dark place and the fridge but completely leave out the freezer, which I found weird, the logic seems to follow that cool is good, cold is better, therefor colder (freezer) would seem to be even better yet these multiple people have chosen to omit the last option, but why?  Is there any truth/benefit to storing in the freezer over the fridge? Or probably more importantly is it actually detrimental to store Somniferous seeds for an extended period in freezing temps? There must be a reason so many active/knowledgeable people in this sub have omitted such an option if it is indeed as good/viable as some others have said. Because if it is viable why not mention it, if it isn’t why allow the false information to stand/to propagated in the community?

It would be nice to be able to create a viable collection of every Somniferous stain out there in a frozen seed vault, that way I always have fall back seeds no matter what happens, without having to remember to plant a stain to refresh my seed stores just because its coming up and x number of years, especially since I plan to only grow one strain at a time to prevent any possible cross pollination.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDGB
Stranger
Re: Waterless cold stratification and indefinite storage of viable poppy seeds? [Re: DGB]
    #23678341 - 09/25/16 11:02 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I seem to have found a partial answer to my cold storage question. So it seems long-term cold storage if done in a dark, airtight hermetically sealing container in subzero temperatures should not harm the seeds assuming a moisture content of 17.5%. now I just need to find out what if any role moisture less cold storage has on stratification of the seeds.

http://data.kew.org/sid/SidServlet?ID=16961&Num=Z8f

“APG Clade: EUDICOTS
APG Order: Ranunculales
APG Family: PAPAVERACEAE
Kew Family: PAPAVERACEAE
Genus: Papaver
Species Epithet: somniferum
Species Author: L.
Storage Behaviour

Storage Behaviour: Orthodox
Storage Conditions: Initial germination 91% with seeds at 17.5% mc, 92% germination after 180 days storage in liquid nitrogen (Stanwood & Roos, 1979); seeds not damaged from exposure to liquid nitrogen (Stanwood & Bass,1981); seeds maintained for 4-5 years in commercial storage conditions (Priestley, 1986); long-term storage under IPGRI preferred conditions at RBG Kew, WP. Oldest collection 10 years; germination change 100 to 98%, 8 years, 1 collection”

http://www.bioversityinternational.org/e-library/publications/detail/seed-storage-behavior-a-compendium/

IPGRI defines long-term orthodox storage as

“The storage of seed accession for long-term periods (a decade
at a minimum, but many such stores expect satisfactory storage for 50-100 years
or more). Stores operated at subzero temperatures are generally classed as
long-term seed stores, but the storage conditions recommended by IPGRI
(formerly IBPGR) for long-term seed conservation are –18°C or less in air-tight
containers at a seed moisture content of 5 ± 1%. (w.b.) (Cromarty et al. 1982).”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale