Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Freedom Code

Loc: point no point
Haaaappy people
    #2365468 - 02/21/04 10:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

There are lots of people out there who have rebelled against TV culture in the pursuit of true happiness as opposed to that short-term sugar-like instant gratification thing we're all so familiar with.

:laugh: :smile: :grin:

The thing is, I find these people have the idea that if we changed some stuff, got rid of the mass media, grew our own food and had a stronger connection to the land and nature (good ideas of course) that then we would all be happy and blissed out and smiling all the time. Basically, they come up with these ideas for utopias.

:smile: :grin: :grin: :grin: :laugh: :tongue2: :lol:

But I don't believe that this wholesome happiness should be the goal, and I believe that the reason these people think that life could be so much happier is because TV, the thing they're rebelling against in the first place, has shown them all these TV shows with perpetually happy smiling people. When this hypothetical person I'm describing watches TV and doesn't feel happy they recognize that TV is not helping them so they throw it out, but TV is the thing that gave them the idea of being happy all the time in the first place. Bastard!

Basically, I think utopia isn't something you make the world into. Utopia's about appreciating and "enjoying" all the "bad" things along with the "good" things, or so my research tells me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Ohio
Re: Haaaappy people [Re: Squatting_Otter]
    #2365613 - 02/21/04 11:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I believe that a utopian society is unobtainable in a sense that not everyone can be perfectly happy. But I do, however, believe that it is something we should strive for, because as we do, our attempts to be happy fail or succeed to some degree. This flucuating level of success for being happy is the realistically "ideal" state we should all be in. Thats just how I see things. If that doesn't make sense to you I don't blame you cause I think really strangely. haha

Stop thinking, and end your problems.
-Lao Tzu

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology