Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Brainwashed since childhood
    #2365069 - 02/21/04 08:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ever since childhood, everything always has a happy ending. Of course, in the stories and movies we watch, there's always something nice happening to the main character, but never to the other characters.

This is all a method of control, in my opinion. We are deluded from childhood to believe that life is extremely great and that extraordinary things will happen to us, and we spend another portion of our life finding out that life is not even close!

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Brainwashed since childhood [Re: daba]
    #2365106 - 02/21/04 08:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

"were all raised to believe that maybe some day we will be rock stars" or the president.... Its sad... but for me... i guess. My life hasnt really been filled with the nicest of outcomes, or circumstances. I think for that reason, is why i have become such a "dreamer". Ive always tried to see the best in things, cause all i have experiences was some of the worst, you hope for the best, but expect the worst. 

I think some people just sadly dont ever realize that what they thought isnt everything it was cracked up to be. Maybe thats what swami meant in his post about negativity and realism. People maybe should be spending more time making things more fun... like having people over and partying... even if all else just sucks!  :smile2:  :beer:

--------------------
What?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Brainwashed since childhood [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2365178 - 02/21/04 09:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think what it still comes down to is "attitude". One could truly say my life sucked. Molested from 7 to 17, high school drop out, drugs, alcohol, pregnancy, major money worries, no car at times. I suppose you could say I was not headed toward anything special.

And then I turned around the way I was running my life.

So, now I'm an attorney, I'm not rich, but I love what I do, and I'm happy. I've learned what "life" is, for me.

Things still don't go right at times, glitches come up, but it's fun to see how they are going to be resolved.

I think it's "how" you regard the negative experiences.

If I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst, aren't I bound to get the worst? And even if something comes out not that good, can't I learn from it?

"This is all a method of control, in my opinion. We are deluded from childhood to believe that life is extremely great and that extraordinary things will happen to us, and we spend another portion of our life finding out that life is not even close!"

I think we should expect great things to happen. But what is "great" will vary from person to person. I don't think my life could be considered "great" from another's perspective, but I am happy doing what I'm doing and watching the progress. I've learned patience. "Life" doesn't happen over night, and it most definitely gives back what you put into it.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineNostraTaurus
Just wanna Know

Re: Brainwashed since childhood [Re: Frog]
    #2365377 - 02/21/04 10:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Zero7a1:Well i will agree with you that attitude is very important, changing ones life around is very dependent on the atitude, because more or less its going to lead you to how you will react... reacing making choices... so on and so forth.

Its not an easy solution, and i dont think there is ONE solution.

We are raised to certain things, in our ignorance we believe certain things. As life goes on, we find some of those things were not what they were, because we grow up, and grow out.

Ive tried to adapt to these things as they have come along. I change as my world around me changes, some things stay with me. But i couldnt tell you what they were :wink:

----

sorry josh... and everybody else  :shiftyeyes: im an idiot... DOH!

--------------------
Hey it's alright, my life has never been a bed of roses.
der_Taurus@hotmail.com </a>

OfflineSquatting_Otter
Freedom Code

Loc: point no point
    #2365413 - 02/21/04 10:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

This is a really funny situation you're bringing up with this thread.

As Tyler Durden points out we're growing up thinking we're going to be rock stars because of all the movies out there telling stories about successful super happy people succeeding in life. Basically we're led to believe that we are at the center of a plot of some kind of exciting movie, that we are important to the rest of the world somehow. Here's proof:

daba: "This is all a method of control, in my opinion."

See, movies have led daba to believe that he's such a "rock star" that he's somehow worth controlling. He sees himself at the center of an exciting conspiracy thriller plot where "they" are fighting to control his mind.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Brainwashed since childhood [Re: Squatting_Otter]
    #2365440 - 02/21/04 10:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think that that is what Daba is saying, but maybe he can clarify.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSquatting_Otter
Freedom Code

#2365596 - 02/21/04 11:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

eeererrrr it's not about what he thinks he's saying. It's an obvervation on what he said. I'm sure he doesn't mean to say he is the center of a grand conspiracy plot, but what he said further proves that TV gives us the idea that we are somehow really great when really we're just compost.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2365634 - 02/21/04 11:21 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't gotten that feeling from watching T.V. I haven't really watched T.V. in about 20 years. What kind of shows are played on T.V. that make people think this way? Just curious.

--------------------

OfflineSquatting_Otter
Freedom Code

#2365683 - 02/21/04 11:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

all of them.

OfflineSquatting_Otter
Freedom Code

#2365686 - 02/21/04 11:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

at least.. the ones that lack moral ambiguity and predictable endings.. pretty much all of them.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2365772 - 02/21/04 11:55 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard other parents say things like this about movies like Cinderella and movies of that type, where poor girls get married to handsome princes, and the parents think it sets a bad precedent, because the little girls think that when they grow up, there will be a handsome prince to marry them. I just haven't heard this type of thing about T.V. shows.

--------------------

OfflineSquatting_Otter
Freedom Code

#2365786 - 02/21/04 11:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

well, try looking around at people and think of yourself on TV rather than waiting for someone to tell you it's the case. We spend so much time consuming media about the "everyman" having great and unlikely successses that it starts to warp our minds.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2366227 - 02/22/04 01:35 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Squatting_Otter: I hardly watch movies, and for the most part, I don't let trivial movies such as Fight Club get into my head. They are eyecandy at best. Please don't jump to conclusions.

What I meant by method of control is that as adults, this stuff is created for the young mind in order to prevent any sort of revolt or ill-minded mentality in the child. Young minds are easily manipulated and molded; instead of letting them think for themselves (which may become problematic), adults provide this utopian sort of setting via medium such as tales and movies in order to retard any "negative" thinking. It is much easier to have your thoughts handed to you than generating your own ideas. :beer:

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Offlinelostsuitcase
...missing

Loc: mid-air?
    #2366610 - 02/22/04 03:21 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"This is all a method of control, in my opinion. We are deluded from childhood to believe that life is extremely great and that extraordinary things will happen to us, and we spend another portion of our life finding out that life is not even close! "

ridiculous. A method of control? thats quite an elaborate conspiracy. People like happiness, so thats what they want to see in art.

I guess french impressionism was a method of control as well? seeing how it always portrayed life as being happy and serene.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2366625 - 02/22/04 03:28 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Were being manipulated in many ways.
http://www.spinninglobe.net/gattopage.htm

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2366920 - 02/22/04 05:32 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I dont know... i wasnt ever raised to expect anything great. I just lived with what happened. What i think of now... is my own ideas. I rejected christianity when I was 13 - 14.

I never had a dad to tell me to be some kind of great foot ball player, or go to college, or do anything for that matter. My mom just taught me how to accept the stuff as i was going.

some parents force these kids to go to school make straight A's and be the star quarterback... They arent letting them think for what they want to do. They are telling them what they want, and in turn, make a world thats easy for them to fall into. So they think they need to get married to the high school sweet heart, be good christians... cause all these things add up to a big great  :thumbup: ...

But what kind of life is that? Is that what your trying to say?

Ive always thought for myself... but a lot of times it was playing out my thoughts... dreaming.... thinking of better things. Not what anyone else told me to do, or told me to think. There have always been influences, but i listening to what every body has got to say, is going the wrong way... in this case... i t hink.

:beer::pill2: + :spliff::eek: :wtf:  :0

--------------------
What?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2367280 - 02/22/04 11:01 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Is being fed a positive attitude as a child really brainwashing?

See, here is the thing: Children are not able to understand the world and the nature of things. They are on a path of learning. The FIRST thing that has to be instilled into children is a positive attitude to enable them to head out into life, to experience and to learn, to continue living.

The world is simple and it is complex. However, the complexities have to be learned as well. You start with simple things because you have to start somewhere. Something has to be put into children so that they have the attitude to continue on, so that they can get to a point where they can think for themselves and can fend for themselves and follow their path.

Obviously you don't teach children impossible standards and mold them into perfect citizens. You give them the ability to reach a point where they will be able to think for themselves. You don't say "You are going to be the star quarterback" and everything, you show them how to appreciate life as it comes and how to find the strength within themselves to do what they want to do with their life.

Of course, everything about us came from our environment and what we experienced anyways. The best thing to do for a child is give them as much variety in experience as possible while giving them a positive attitude to WANT to make it through life.

I don't understand how it is possible to let a young child truly think for themselves when they aren't capable of it. You start a child off and you gradually let them go into the world. You don't dump every little complexity and detail of the world onto a child all at once. They can't handle it. I've never seen someone learn an entire branch of knowledge such as math or science in a night. Especially if they have no desire to do so... that desire has to be there.  :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2368084 - 02/22/04 03:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I was reading something that a friend wrote about his reaction to "13 conversations about one thing." I can't repeat it verbatim, but here is a synapsis:

At first I was upset that the movie offered no resolve to attaining happiness. It described the problem, but offered no solution. Then I realized that I had become dependent upon television to tell me what to think. How funny it was when I realized that I thought television could prescribe happiness to me. It just shows the extent to which I have been brainwashed.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Brainwashed since childhood [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2368218 - 02/22/04 04:12 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I think it's possible to re-train your brain to think differently.

Think about it... I was raised "Catholic". We went to church every Sunday. We were middle class. Ballet classes, music classes, horses, etc.

Yet, at the same time, there was sexual, physical, and emotional abuse going on. Talk about craziness. How does the mind make sense of that kind of brain washing? On the one hand, we're a nice Catholic family, and on the other hand, everything was all fucked up.

I think whatever happens to you as a kid, whatever you think you were brain-washed by, goes on a tape that we play over and over in our heads. As we become adults, those tapes don't work in the real world, causing us to make bad decisions, choosing the wrong people to be in our lives, etc.

You can erase that tape and make your own tape. I truly think this is possible, because I have done it. It just takes time.

Or look at it this way: Your house, which is your beliefs, your education, your goals, your friendships, and so on, is built on your foundation, which is your childhood. Many of us have built our houses on weak foundations, for various reasons. T.V., bad parents, loss of a parent, absent parent, and so on.

If there is a weak foundation, the house will have a lot of flaws and you will be constantly patching it. A better thing to do is to shake the weak foundation until the house falls down, and then you re-pour the foundation.

The foundation can be reformed by finding people to talk to that are successful, that walk the kind of walk that you would like to walking. It can be one person, or it can be several people. Then, you rebuild your house by making better choices about goals and people.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology