Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
The life of a Rabbit
    #2364881 - 02/21/04 07:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The life of a rabbit is brief. It is born into a world it does not understand and into conditions that it did not request. Fear and hunger dictate it's actions. Deep inside, the rabbit always knows that the wolf is on the prowl.

If it is successful, it will survive long enough to successfully mate. Eventually, the rabbit will be hunted down. It will not complain for that is its dharma. Ultimately, the rabbit can never understand what is happening to him.

^^^
Something I was thinking about last night.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The life of a Rabbit [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2364930 - 02/21/04 08:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Indeed.

Think! What makes us so different from the rabbit?

On a macroscopic level, we are born into a world we know little about. We only know our tiny microcosm called this planet earth, and on an even smaller scale, our communities. As denizens, we do not even completely understand the world we live in, let alone the universe we reside. What dictates our actions? Hunger for food, love, and desires. Fear of failing. Deep inside, we know that we may fall victim to chance or circumstance, both members of fate. We know that "[fate] is on the prowl."

If we are successful, we will survive to enlighten ourselves and create some sort of developed illusion of this world in which we interpret as "success." Eventually, we will be killed by disease, accidents, or time. We may leave it to dharma, but how much can we really understand about dharma? Ultimately, we are as confused and deluded as the rabbit. :beer:

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: The life of a Rabbit [Re: daba]
    #2364951 - 02/21/04 08:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

According to some people we aren't animals :shake:

--------------------
Light & Music

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2364957 - 02/21/04 08:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, but we have one distinct advantage to a rabbit: (global) communication to share insights with members of the same species.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
    #2365187 - 02/21/04 09:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

the life of a rabbit is fine. its is born into a world that it is perfectly adapted to from miliions of year of evolution and into conditions that rabbits survived in for generations. instinct dictate its actions. deep inside the rabbit only lives moment to moment, cautious but free.

If it is successful, it will survive long enough to successfully mate. Eventually, the rabbit will be hunted down, thus feeding the hungry wolf, that survives and feeds its pups. It will not complain for its lived a relatively good life. Ultimately, the rabbit can never understand what is happening to him, because there is no need to understand ones lot in life when your a rabbit, you just live.

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2365191 - 02/21/04 09:10 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

daba said:
On a macroscopic level, we are born into a world we know little about. We only know our tiny microcosm called this planet earth, and on an even smaller scale, our communities. As denizens, we do not even completely understand the world we live in, let alone the universe we reside. What dictates our actions? Hunger for food, love, and desires. Fear of failing. Deep inside, we know that we may fall victim to chance or circumstance, both members of fate. We know that "[fate] is on the prowl."

If we are successful, we will survive to enlighten ourselves and create some sort of developed illusion of this world in which we interpret as "success." Eventually, we will be killed by disease, accidents, or time. We may leave it to dharma, but how much can we really understand about dharma? Ultimately, we are as confused and deluded as the rabbit. :beer:

Nope.  I disagree.  Maybe some of us actually do become enlightened.  Maybe some of us actually do lose the fear.  Maybe not all of us are motivated by survival.  I don't believe in fate.  "I am the captain of my ship."  Who said that?

I know (almost) exactly what is going on, and I have no fear.

(My, don't I sound cocky tonight.)

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
Re: The life of a Rabbit [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2365294 - 02/21/04 09:55 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

We also have one huge diffrence. Literacy. Our ability to read and write information is why we know so much. Because of the knowledge and ideas that our previous generation leave, we are able to improve technologocly and even spritual. Also the long life-span of a human also has alot to do with the stuff we are able to do. However our actions are dictated by our fear and chemical needs. And by fear i dont mean that living things are a bunch of wussies, i mean that we dont touch electricity because we dont want to get shocked. We dont eat 50 pounds of pork and sniff an ounce of cocaine a day because we dont want a heart attack. And no matter how fun it sounds we dont jump off 50 story buildings because we dont want to get hurt. On the same note, we do things that will keep us alive and that will satisfy our chemical needs, wether its sex, eating or sleeping.

--------------------

OfflineSquatting_Otter
Freedom Code

Loc: point no point
Re: The life of a Rabbit [Re: Frog]
    #2365359 - 02/21/04 10:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"Nope. I disagree. Maybe some of us actually do become enlightened. Maybe some of us actually do lose the fear. Maybe not all of us are motivated by survival. I don't believe in fate. "I am the captain of my ship." Who said that?

I know (almost) exactly what is going on, and I have no fear."

????????????????

hahaha

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: The life of a Rabbit [Re: Squatting_Otter]
    #2365648 - 02/21/04 11:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I guess I'm feeling invincible today.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2366286 - 02/22/04 01:44 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Come now. We may have many advantages and advances over a rabbit, but it certainly is not enough to comprehend what we desire to comprehend. After all, time consumes us. In a large enough scale, we have done the same as the rabbit, as well as everything else on this rock: conception, birth, reproduction, and death. Repeat.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2366298 - 02/22/04 01:48 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

However, simply because we experience the same cycle of life as a rabbit doesn't mean that the rabbit has the same advantages as we do.

I don't think it's possible to understand everything about "life" and why we are here, etc., but I think it's possible to come close. A rabbit cannot understand why he is here, or what a gift "life" is.

--------------------

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2366318 - 02/22/04 01:52 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps a rabbit cannot know the reason why he is here (neither do we). But how do we know that?

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2366361 - 02/22/04 02:02 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I am not good at the philosophical word game of pretending that we don't really exist, or maybe this isn't really reality, but I'll play along.

Mr Mushrooms and someone had a good conversation on whether humans and animals have the same consciousness a short while back. In the morning I will find the thread, because I can't argue it as well as MM did.

But I am pretty sure I know why I am here. But my belief in my knowledge that I know why I am here is based on my belief in God. Also, it is supported by things that happen in my life, which I believe Swami calls coincidences, but which to me is evidence of why I am here, and evidence that there exists someone greater than us.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2367166 - 02/22/04 09:39 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

daba said:
Come now. We may have many advantages and advances over a rabbit, but it certainly is not enough to comprehend what we desire to comprehend. After all, time consumes us. In a large enough scale, we have done the same as the rabbit, as well as everything else on this rock: conception, birth, reproduction, and death. Repeat.

The difference between us and the rabbit is obviously our ability to conceptualize, to form ideas and to have them spread.

What kind of difference is that? Well, we have been able to evolve and change the way in which we live. Obviously, we still are born, we reproduce, and we die. But limiting it to only that and deciding there isn't anymore signifigance sort of ignores an entire ocean of insight and discovery.

What is the rabbit conscious of? It appears as if it, while it may or may not be aware, can experience the moment. However, while this moment can be experienced, every action of the rabbit is dictated by a program of automatic instincts. The rabbit, apparently, is just a computer running commands.

What is the difference between us and them? We are operators of our own computer. We can program ourselves and change whatever programming we deem necessary to alter. The rabbit plays a part in the Universe and probably has a limited awareness, but how much can he truly comprehend? They live in the now, experience each moment as it is, but they do not knowing live in the now. They don't comprehend much other than their programmed actions and what their inputs tell them. They are a light being filtered through an unconcious prism.  :grin:

We are still pretty close to that. One step ahead, really. The only difference is that we have the power to continue increasing our awareness and our understanding, it is a choice we have to accept.

A rabbit is just an entity acting out a play, totally unaware that he is merely acting. All he knows is his part. Us, however, we have the power of conceputalization. We are still bound to the cycle of living and dying, we are still acting out the play and everything, but our mind clearly shows us that there is something more, that this is just a play....

We once were the rabbit. We are obviously heading away from the perspective of a rabbit. I've never heard a group of rabbits create death metal music heavily tinged with an Egyptian feel before. :lol:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: The life of a Rabbit [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2368094 - 02/22/04 03:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I was going to go look for Mr Mushrooms' thread on this topic, but you explained it pretty well.  :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2368462 - 02/22/04 05:25 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2368667 - 02/22/04 06:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2370893 - 02/23/04 07:51 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hehe, thanks for posting that! :thumbup:
:grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang: