Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Fear of the unknown
    #2356025 - 02/19/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think it's a big factor now - and has been historically - to make human beings act in lots of different ways.
Science - as the pragmatist method to control the forces of nature - stems from the fear of the unknown: humans want to be sure of as much as they can, in order to suffer as little 'random injustice' in their lives. Racism comes down to a fear of the unknown. Even current ethics like the Declaration of Human Rights are rooted in the fear of the unknown - if just about anyone can kill you on the street with only the slightest of reasons, you can never know when you're safe, and this would create more insecurity than we could handle.

How much do you personally fear the unknown, in what ways, and how do you cope with it?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Fear of the unknown [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2357483 - 02/20/04 12:38 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Coping is not a factor for me - I seek the unknown.

BTW, do a search on this subject... just so you know what's been covered and you might find something that will spark your interest. :wink:

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2358203 - 02/20/04 06:10 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Your quite right - these human constructs are fundamentally created to buffer us - protect humans from the unknown.
And the great unknown - and the latent preoccupation of all living coherant human beings is that fact that they realise and are aware of their own doom.
Humans are sentient - and are aware of their own eventual death - the ultimate unknown.
As for schlorch - your comment dissappoints me. 'Heros' in their own mind might tell themselves they 'seek the unknown' to bulster their own self-image/ego but in reality the only difference is that they deny their own fear.
If you seek the unknown you would theoretically have no fear of your own death. This is an inate fear.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Fear of the unknown [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2359134 - 02/20/04 11:42 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Seeking the unknown is NOT equivalent with denying the fear of death.
Don't get me wrong, I have fears (fear of death is just one of them). I just don't let them cripple me.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Fear of the unknown [Re: Sclorch]
    #2361883 - 02/20/04 11:24 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

They dont cripple people precicely because they have these imagined constructs and apparatus to deny them or distance themselves from their own fear.
We dont generally let the fear cripple us true - we get on with things and ignore the inevitable.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2361938 - 02/20/04 11:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't mind the unknown. The unknown is what makes the world go
'round. I like the challenges presented by the unknown.

When the unknown happens, I just look for resolutions to whatever circumstance the unknown created.

I hope I don't get gunned down in the street, though. That's an unknown that might win.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2362610 - 02/21/04 02:38 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

lots of "the unknown" creeps me out..... but I like that sometimes :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Fear of the unknown [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2362712 - 02/21/04 04:14 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:
They dont cripple people precicely because they have these imagined constructs and apparatus to deny them or distance themselves from their own fear.
We dont generally let the fear cripple us true - we get on with things and ignore the inevitable.

When there is nothing to fear there is nothing to deny or distance oneself from. When something is GOING to happen, not accepting that as reality is going to provoke fear. Since it is REALITY, striving to seperate oneself from that reality is going to cause a lot of negative emotions (namely, fear  :eek:). When reality is accepted as such and the moment, now, is continued to be lived in, there is no fear and there is no ignoring the inevitablity. Only acceptance of what is to come.

I've come to understand that acceptance of what is to come is sort of peaceful.  :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2362760 - 02/21/04 05:35 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not the type to truly fear the unknown...I actually LIKE the Unknown, I would be one of those bold daring vikings sailing off into the UNKNOWN depths of the sea, if I were alive back then. I love exploring, the unknown. The Unknown of Life, is part of what makes things interesting, to me.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2363013 - 02/21/04 09:03 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"How much do you personally fear the unknown, in what ways, and how do you cope with it? "

most of the time I try to stay away from fear because to me it's useless. A lot of the time fear arises out of the "need" for security, and the unknown provides no security.

what makes us secure, what makes us insecure??? I could come up with the laundry list, but it boils down to me. I make myself secure or insecure. Unless life threatening, outside conditions don't makes us feel either. They only trigger our feelings. I mean, you could have a million dollars and be really insecure, while another guy is secure with "barely surviving"

We automatically feel fear and anxiety when our outside world doesn't fit with what we think inside. Furthermore, once we achieve what we want, we won't be satisfied. something new will pop up. As the case with knowledge explaining the unknown. this will lead to new definitions of security, as science does with the unknown. We will never be satisfied because we do not allow ourselves to be. I feel that fear of the unknown is partially due to the fact that we are aaddicted to knowledge

Fear is one reaction when one of our security addictions is not realized. What I mean by addiction is "any desire that makes you upset or unhappy if it is not satisfied." Even if an addiction gives you pleasure, that pleasure is usually short lived, because you will fear losing what made you happy. these will be threats that you will percive which then leads to fear. We create this fear in ourselves, we are doing it to ourselves, the outside world doesn't reflect it, we do! We can though do things on a non-addictive bases.

Knowledge is ok!! I'm just saying that we shouldn't have to really worry about it! why do we need to fear the unknown? It's pointless to do so because we will never know it all WE are jsut too addicted to knowledge, and once that addiction isn't realize, that is, our desire isn't satisfied, it will cause fear, anxiety, anger, worry, jealousy (of others who have more knowledge than you),hatred, etc etc.

key for me was plain acceptance. I mean yeah I'll do my best at what I do, but what happens happen I know I don't do it continuously, but I try my best to accept situations as they happen. It is utterly futile for me to try to fit my surroundings based on my addictions.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2363018 - 02/21/04 09:04 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I dive headfirst into the unknown, there is no room for fear.

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2364636 - 02/21/04 05:00 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

if just about anyone can kill you on the street with only the slightest of reasons, you can never know when you're safe, and this would create more insecurity than we could handle.

OTOH..you could wind up chasing a tail..for example..if ppl become so afraid of becoming victims of random violence or terrorism..that they demand a police state to address those fears..only to find out that the solution puts them at an even greater risk...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order