Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehurrikane
Stranger
Using Perlite In PF Cakes
    #2364506 - 02/21/04 04:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Ive seen people use the PF cake method to grow but although they were very clean and sanitary their cakes didnt even produce mycelium. My friend used fine grade vermiculite and I told him I thought that the cake mixture may be too solid and hamper the growth of mycelium. Could he use some perlite in the mix to help break apart the denseness or would it be better to try using coarser vermiculite?? When we opened a jar, the mix was very tight, almost like a brick but my friend insists that there is no mycelium because the mix wasnt sterile enough. Any help is appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Using Perlite In PF Cakes [Re: hurrikane]
    #2364529 - 02/21/04 04:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

My suggestion would be to use coarser verm...some make the mistake of packing down their BRF rather than just spooning it in and gently tapping the jar on the tabletop. I would think that if the mix wasn't sterile enough, you would have at least some mycelial growth, along with a bunch of contams.

Offlinehurrikane
Stranger
Re: Using Perlite In PF Cakes [Re: Theo Nanacatl]
    #2364584 - 02/21/04 04:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

would it help/hurt to use perlite in the cake mix??

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
Re: Using Perlite In PF Cakes [Re: Theo Nanacatl]
    #2364585 - 02/21/04 04:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, sounds like it might have been packed too tight, but then again, you won't know if the mycelium likes your mix until you get some to grow.

I agree with Theo. The myc would prolly at least start, and then if you were unsterile...yecchh (you know this part)...and if the mix was too tight it would still grow but very slowly.

First question: How long did you wait before giving up and opening a jar?

Some possible reasons for no germination would be:

-Improper moisture content (too wet or dry)
-failure to shake the syringe
-dud spores
-impatience

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Offlinehurrikane
Stranger
Re: Using Perlite In PF Cakes [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2364593 - 02/21/04 04:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

its been 8 days and only one jar has any sign of mycelium and its not even the diameter of a dime. we opened one of the jars yesterday, (day 7), and like i posted earlier it was almost as hard as a rock. perhaps not enough moisture and the fine grade vermiculite both played a role??

OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
    #2364662 - 02/21/04 05:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well if you follow the simple teks around here in the
shroomery you won't have many problems with the substrate:
2 part of fine verm, 1 part of water and 1 part of BRF.

What strain did you inoculate? What's the temp in the
incubation chamber? 4 holes per jar? ...

... patience? :wink:

--------------------

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #2364773 - 02/21/04 05:32 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hurrikane said:
its been 8 days and only one jar has any sign of mycelium and its not even the diameter of a dime.

This would be a good jar to help you make some determinations about your setup. I think this rules out improper sterilization, at least for the time being.

Uncover the inoc holes (if they're taped), put a foil lid on it, and loosen the metal lid a quarter turn for some oxygen. Hopefully your dome is rubber side up or this might not help much.

Try to keep the jar (well, all the jars) at least 80F (84F is best) and watch it for a few days at least. It should show a burst after getting a breath of fresh air. If not, the moisture is prolly off, but as long as it doesn't contam, it will eventually finish.

Edited to say: Seven days is too soon to throw in the towel.

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

Edited by Ben_Stein (02/21/04 05:33 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures