Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinereckard
Stranger
newbie questions... jars, straw, and humidifier tek
    #2363411 - 02/21/04 01:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

First off, this a great community; thanks to all who post information.

I'm a newbie, and I'm trying to get some ideas on how to set up my mushroom factory. Basically, I'm ready to jump into bulk growing because I'm only in this apartment for 4 months before I have to move into a dorm room, so I gotsta stockpile!

I've read most of the tutorials and pictorials (why do you call them "tek's" anyway?) and I feel pretty confident I can accomplish this... I'm considering doing two grow projects side-by-side. I will do BRF cakes in one terrarium, and case straw in another. I have purchased Puerto Rican and Equadorian spores from Ralphster's. I will be adhering to the following "Teks": MMGG, Shroomgod's Straw Tek, Shroomgod's Humidifier Tek, and the Popcorn Spawn Tek. I am planning the following modifications:

MMGG:
I will be strict to the instructions, except substituting the terrarium instructions with a simple opaque tupperware container with a cookie rack at the bottom to raise the cakes, a small florescent or cold cathode light pinned to the lid of the container, and a Humidifier Tek hose.

Shroomgod's Straw Tek:
Substitute colonized popcorn for colonized birdseed. Use florescent or cold cathode light pinned to the lid of tupperware container (basically the same as the MMGG terrarium described above). Use pasteurized 50/50+ casing mix instead (looks like it will work better).

Popcorn Spawn:
Same as Tek, but with fractional steralization as per the FAQ due to lack of PC or money to buy one.

Humidifier Tek:
Same as Tek, but with a filter over the humidifier intake due to the unclean air in my apartment. One hose out to each of the two fruiting chambers. (BTW: Do these cool-mist humidifiers make much noise? I'm trying to be kind of discreet)

My main concern is the fruiting chamber for the MMGG. I came up with it due for the need of circulated air, humid air, and constant temperature, with raised cakes (on the cookie rack), but I didn't include slanted glass like the MMGG tells you to do. Is this slanted glass neccessary in a humidifier-based fruiting chamber?

I think I'll use the Puertos on the straw and the EQ's on the cakes. If you have any comments or suggestions, please bring them up. I'll take pictures and make a grow log when I'm finished (I owe it to ya). Thanks a lot guys!  :crazy2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: newbie questions... jars, straw, and humidifier tek [Re: reckard]
    #2363888 - 02/21/04 03:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Don't worry about the slanted glass. Sure it's better if it was there but it won't stop shrooms from growing or anything. What you can do is lift one side very slightly if it becomes a problem and that should help. (very slightly)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinemidway
Stranger

#2364641 - 02/21/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

'Teks' is short for techniques!

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2364725 - 02/21/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

MMGG version3.2 say's to use 2/3 cup vermiculite.
PF Tek say's use 1/2 cup vermiculite.
USE THE 1/2 cup. Otherwise water content will be off and you will not be able to do this in the alotted time.Took me 2 tryies to figure this out. Good Luck

Tek is short for teckniques.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinereckard
Stranger
Re: newbie questions... jars, straw, and humidifier tek [Re: KaptKid]
    #2368637 - 02/22/04 06:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, that's helpful. I was thinking about using the "dunk tek" as well.

BTW - I up and bought a pressure canner out of pure impulse shopping.  :blush:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation