Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Can they hold off till the primaries are over?
    #2363180 - 02/21/04 12:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

News reports say that Bin Laden is surrounded by U.S. special forces. How long will they hold off on his capture? Will they at least wait till the primaries are over?

###
###

Bin Laden 'surrounded'
from The Sunday Telegraph

A BRITISH Sunday newspaper is claiming Osama bin Laden has been found and is surrounded by US special forces in an area of land bordering north-west Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The Sunday Express, known for its sometimes colourful scoops, claims the al-Qaeda leader has been "sighted" for the first time since 2001 and is being monitored by satellite.

The paper claims he is in a mountainous area to the north of the Pakistani city of Quetta. The region is said to be peopled with bin Laden supporters and the terrorist leader is estimated to also have 50 of his fanatical bodyguards with him.

The claim is attributed to "a well-placed intelligence source" in Washington, who is quoted as saying: "He (bin Laden) is boxed in."

The paper says the hostile terrain makes an all-out conventional military assault impossible. The plan to capture him would depend on a "grab-him-and-go" style operation.

"US helicopters already sited on the Afghanistan border will swoop in to extricate him," the newspaper says. It claims bin Laden and his men "sleep in caves or out in the open. The area is swept by fierce snow storms howling down from the 10,000ft-high mountain peaks. Donkeys are the only transport."

The special forces are "absolutely confident" there is no escape for bin Laden, and are awaiting the order to go in and get him.

"The timing of that order will ultimately depend on President Bush," the paper says. "Capturing bin Laden will certainly be a huge help for him as he gets ready for the election."

The article says bin Laden's movements are monitored by a National Security Agency satellite.

On Thursday last week, General Richard Myers, chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff, said America had been engaged in "intense" efforts to capture bin Laden, who was believed to be hiding in the border area between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

But he insisted that the focus of the search had not narrowed for months.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Can they hold off till the primaries are over? [Re: Evolving]
    #2363223 - 02/21/04 12:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Perhaps some of our British members can give us some insight into the accuracy of articles published in the Sunday Express. I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall (from glancing at discarded copies left behind at the bar by English "all-inclusive" tourists here) that the Express is one of those rags normally dedicated to soccer scores and "expos?s" of the royal family. Sort of one small step above "The National Enquirer".

pinky

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2363242 - 02/21/04 12:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It's so fucking obvious all this shit is set up.....

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Can they hold off till the primaries are over? [Re: barfightlard]
    #2363274 - 02/21/04 12:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

As Pinky has pointed out, the source for this story may not be the most reliable. But judging by past experiences, I'm sure political considerations will weigh heavily on the timing of the final capture (assuming the U.S. forces have the enemy contained).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2363560 - 02/21/04 01:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Bin Laden is so 2002. He's old hat.

We got Saddam. That's what's important.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2364179 - 02/21/04 04:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

they prolly caught OBL in 2001 and have kept him locked up as an election-year ace-in-the-hole ever since...in any case the timing should be a dead giveaway..but it wont be...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Can they hold off till the primaries are over? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2365008 - 02/21/04 08:22 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

not with the conservative media doing bush's bidding...

please see 'Osama Pool' thread.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Can they hold off till the primaries are over? [Re: afoaf]
    #2365038 - 02/21/04 08:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Can I vote this the most fucking retarded thread ever made on the shroomery? IT seems that when it comes to Osama/Bush, no proof is required. This is why libbies are idiots, this is why the vast majority of the nation is sick of them, and this is why we'll have Bush for another four years. I just hope that when Bush wins, the commie's realize that it's their idiotic assertations about him, probably more than his own platform, that got him reelected.

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Can they hold off till the primaries are over? [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2365107 - 02/21/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

funny...I never thought of Evolving as a libbie.

but to each his own, I guess.

ps. when it comes to war, no proof is required, eh?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Can they hold off till the primaries are over? [Re: Phred]
    #2365143 - 02/21/04 08:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think the Express is generally preachy, moralising tabloid rubbish, much like The Sun and Daily Mail.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Can they hold off till the primaries are over? [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2365952 - 02/22/04 12:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TheOneYouKnow said:
Can I vote this the most fucking retarded thread ever made on the shroomery? IT seems that when it comes to Osama/Bush, no proof is required.

Is it silly of me to assume political motivations for people who are politicians?

Quote:

IT seems that when it comes to Osama/Bush, no proof is required.

Yes, it does seem that for the apologists of our increasingly fascist nation that no proof is required of George Bush for his asinine assertions, he can just go on trashing the constitution and digging us deeper in debt while overseeing the construction of a police state.

Quote:

... this is why we'll have Bush for another four years.

We'll have Bush for another four years because most republicans are more concerned with being team players than they are with holding members of their team to any kind of standards, they place politics above principles. Maybe because in reality, they have no principles.

Quote:

I just hope that when Bush wins, the commie's realize that it's their idiotic assertions about him, probably more than his own platform, that got him reelected.

It's funny, with Bush in office we've seen a greater expansion of government in all spheres of life during his one term than in both terms of the Clinton presidency. I now consider Bush the worst president of my lifetime. My mother (a life-long Republican who lived through WWII) observing the machinations of the Bush presidency stated, "I remember this same stuff happening before WWII. Bush is acting the same way Hitler did." Yes my friend, Bush is a fascist and has gone against his oath to defend and uphold the constitution. (No, I am not saying that Bush is as bad as Hitler, just that he shares certain political characteristics).

Your ranting reminds me of a quote from Robert Anton Wilson, "The left wing is as robotic as the right wing."

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion