Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCrumist
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Favorite Films w/Labor, unionizing Themes?
    #23619412 - 09/06/16 07:23 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I've been looking for a real leftist agitprop movie about the plight of some proletarians
over the holiday weekend and I was shocked to see that there wasn't anything half relevant
on cable or on Netflix or at my nearest big box electronics store even quarter relevant.

Anyone have any favorites in the genre I'm talking about? I realize many such films are foreign
and older, and I dig that, but I can't say the others I'll watch it with will. So English and filmed in
color are big pluses.

For tonight I guess we'll watch Erin Brokovitch, which is what Netflix kept
insisting was related :sigh: (jk, its a good flick, just not what I was looking for)

--------------------
'I am all for resources being allocated to the widowed single mother of 3, lost husband over seas fighting for our country. I am for vets getting mental health access and resources following war. I am not for free money cause a woman can't close her legs or some chump with low testosterone no going to work cause "i'm sad."' -finalexplosion
Nice knowin ya'll! https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23904704/vc/1#23904704

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: Favorite Films w/Labor, unionizing Themes? [Re: Crumist]
    #23627328 - 09/08/16 09:43 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

They r not pushed by the corporations obviously,maybe look at all films shown at sundance and cannes
Do search on imbd or tomatoes,lotsa decent list s

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

OfflineCrumist
Stranger

Re: Favorite Films w/Labor, unionizing Themes? [Re: 5150]
    #23631164 - 09/10/16 12:32 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

:mindblown:
Holy crap, I always thought IMDB was primarily about the listings of cast members,
I guess I've never really spent much time on the site except when coming from an internet
search. (I tried answering my question in OP by searching and got nada). I'll remember from now
on to include "site:imdb.com" or RottenTomatoes when I've got a movie related search.

--------------------
'I am all for resources being allocated to the widowed single mother of 3, lost husband over seas fighting for our country. I am for vets getting mental health access and resources following war. I am not for free money cause a woman can't close her legs or some chump with low testosterone no going to work cause "i'm sad."' -finalexplosion
Nice knowin ya'll! https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23904704/vc/1#23904704

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
    #23631648 - 09/10/16 08:52 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

There are some European leftist labor movies which I knew in college in the 80's but I'm not recollecting< if you research there were some good ones. There was a trilogy of Polish films by the same director , "man of steel" , "man of iron etc. Deniro's 1900 I think fits this category.

Hoffa with Jack Nicholson starring was a good and he looked incredibly like Hoffa. When I told my Labor and Industrial Relations Prof in my last grad school stint he wanted to argue that if was Hoffa was mobbed up he was terrible for the labor movt. I told him Hoffa was definitely mobbed up and the net result was still great for the teamsters and actually even helped the wages of non union drivers in union areas. I saw this prof at a supermarket and to  put it plainly he very fat. I said Hi and he barely acknowledged my pressnece. I always wanted to be involved in the labor movt, and most of the male members of my family were union. My nephew is now the lowest officer in the Joliet Painter's union, but there are only 3 officers so at his age I think he has a good future.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

OfflineCrumist
Stranger

Re: Favorite Films w/Labor, unionizing Themes? [Re: Brian Jones]
    #23638224 - 09/12/16 10:53 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

So a Cornell kid, are ya? Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check those out.

And looking at the low union membership today and general dim view of unions, do you think
lying in bed with organized crime won the unions battles but lost them the war? I know very little
about Jimmy Hoffa, but I do know some people think of the service industry/white collar unions as unnecessary,
and the traditional blue collar unions as "thugs," and for some reason place their faith in employers who
have betrayed this faith time and time again.

--------------------

OfflineCrumist
Stranger

Re: Favorite Films w/Labor, unionizing Themes? [Re: Brian Jones]
    #23812593 - 11/08/16 12:27 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I did eventually watch "Hoffa," but I was disappointed the film portrayed the teamsters in quite a dim light. I really enjoyed it as a film and thought the story was told in a clever fashion. There was a utilization of a real unique set of film techniques (about which I know nada) eg. the uncomfortably long periods of silence and the in-your-face transitions. It seemed to be more about crime than about labor. I'm surprised that the US film industry --called over time"leftist global elites," "subversives," "pinkos," etc. and with relatively strong unions of its own-- has explored American labor history so scarcely.

Disclaimer: I didn't read or know much about Hoffa, the man, before watching and wasn't expecting the ending.

--------------------

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
    #23843649 - 11/17/16 10:09 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

There are two good movies about the Harlan County Kentucky coal mining strikes in the 1970s. The first is a documentary called Harlan County USA. They shot the movie while the strike was occurring for a year. There were 180 miners with guns and many of their wives could shoot too. The company brought in plenty of hired guns. During the early part of the movie, both sides tried to hide their guns from the cameras, but later both sides openly brandished them. The main point of the strike was the Union's refusal to accept a no strike clause, which they felt was necessary to temporarily shut down a mine when working conditions became too unsafe. A contributing factor was that the company had a 170% increase in profits the previous year, while the miners got a 4% increase in a year when the cost of living went up 7%.
    The film makers made themselves as visible as possible, and even pretended to keep filming when they were out of film to reduce the violence. The miners said they would have suffered many more casualties without the cameras. In one scene the company gunman shoot down strikers before daylight and beat the film director Barbara Kopple and her crew.
    Despite the number killed, the strike was considered a success, and 4 years later the United Mine Workers Union instituted a strike clause in all contracts nation wide.
      I always though the song "Which Side Are You On" was written by the Dropkick Murphys, but the film ends with women who sound 75-85 years old singing it.
      Harlan County USA won the Oscar for best documentary. Although the movie has a pro-union slant, Kopple became more radicalized and pro-union when she later made American Dream about the Hormel Foods strike in Minnesota in the 80's.

There was a dramatic made for TV movie starring Holly Hunter called Harlan County Wars about the same strike. Hunter played the wife of a striker who was badly injured (I believe from a mining accident, not violence, but I can't remember). She won the Emmy and Golden Globe for best Actress.

There is a movie called Matawan about the violent coal mining strike in West Virginia in the 1920's. but I haven't seen it.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale