Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Chloride, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegbhtrfv
journeyman
Suggestions?
    #2361282 - 02/20/04 11:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

this is the tek i'm planning to use. it's basically a combination of various teks out there in order to get a very cheap but efficient grow. being the paranoid freak i am, i'd like to get people to point out any flaws/mistakes/potential for error. thanks a bunch. i'm not a very experienced grower but i figured this would be the next step from the point where i am at.

Jars:

-any tapered glass mason/canning jar 1/2 pint size
-organic long grain brown rice
-medium grade vermiculite (unnecessary?)
-water
-polyfil
-1/8" nail
-hammer

1. prepare the jars using the polyfill tek: http://www.fungifun.org/polyfill/
2. prepare the substrate according to the 9er tek: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7923/pag/0
3. it is perhaps a good idea to add about a teaspoon of water to make sure the cooked rice will not dry out during sterilization.
4. place in a pressure cooker and cook for about one hour.
5. let the pressure cooker cool completely before removing the jars.
6. inoculate through the hole with the polyfil filter with about 1cc (or less) of spore syringe solution and shake the jar thoroughly after the solution drips down a bit.
7. place in an incubator.
8. shake again when there is about 5%-10% colonization.
9. shake again when there is about 50% colonization.
10. when fully colonized, place into a terrarium.

Terrarium:

-plastic cooler
-perlite
-plexi glass
-silicon glue

1. put a hole in the lid of the cooler. this is going to act as the entrance of light so make it as big as possible without wrecking the lid.
2. take a sheet of plexi glass that's just a bit bigger than the hole and glue it on. try to make sure there are no gaps between the plexi glass and the cooler lid.
3. place about 1.5" to 2" of perlite on the bottom surface of the terrarium.
4. add about 0.25" to 0.5" of water to the perlite
5. place the fully colonized cakes into the terrarium by gently tapping them out
6. place the cakes directly on to the perlite until it starts to pin. once this has happened, put the cakes on a water proof platform so it will no longer be in direct contact with the perlite. remember to fan the air of terrarium every few hours (can be less frequent) and give light (any source, as long as you can see the shrooms with it) to the mushrooms.
7. after the completion of a flush, place the cakes directly on the perlite again and place them on a platform once pinning begins. repeat this for ever flush.

Drying/Storing:

-plastic bags
-anhydrous calcium chloride
-freon
-air-tight tupperware (doesn't have to be 100% airtight)
-fan (blowdryer, computer fan, etc.)

1. airdry the mushrooms by placing them in a pan and letting air circulate OVER it by means of an electrically operated fan. dry for about 12h-24h.
2. place the airdryed mushrooms into the tupperware container with a plastic bag full of anhydrous calcium chloride. the bag mouth should be open only at the middle (about 1/3 of the way) in order to minimize the risk of spilling. let the mushrooms sit for another 12h-24h.
3. once the mushrooms are cracker dry, place them in plastic bags filled with freon and store them in a dark place.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Suggestions? [Re: gbhtrfv]
    #2362885 - 02/21/04 09:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

gbhtrfv said:
paranoid freak
Jars:
3. it is perhaps a good idea to add about a teaspoon of water to make sure the cooked rice will not dry out during sterilization.

not really the best idea, a piece of foil over the top of the jars will help prevent drying... if the PF Tek is followed then there wont be a problem

Quote:

6. inoculate through the hole with the polyfil filter with about 1cc (or less) 8. shake again when there is about 5%-10% colonization.
9. shake again when there is about 50% colonization.

You'll get a great workout but probably do nothing really good for the Mycelium, if using the PF Tek, you'll have dry vermiculite on top an it will mix in, possibly drying the substrate... dont shake them unless you are using whole grains like Rye or millet in conjunction with a filter disk or tyvek

Quote:

-silicon glue

bad juju.... Silicon is known to cause some freakishly deformed mutants, it can be used but makesure the shrooms dont come in contact with it and allow it to airdry for a few days to 'flash off' the VOCs...

Quote:

6. place the cakes directly on to the perlite until it starts to pin. once this has happened, put the cakes on a water proof platform so it will no longer be in direct contact with the perlite.

try the double ended casing method, damp vermeculite on top and bottom while on a jar lid... I prefer to keep the cakes off of the perlite

Quote:

-freon

you plan on getting high... freon is costly and there is no real need for it in the whole proscess....

Quote:

1. airdry the mushrooms dry for about 12h-24h.

it may take a couple of days to get them dry enough without heat, expect 48-72 hours...if they are small it will be quicker or if you split lengthwise it will as well

Quote:

2. place the airdryed mushrooms into the tupperware container with a plastic bag full of anhydrous calcium chloride. the bag mouth should be open only at the middle (about 1/3 of the way) in order to minimize the risk of spilling. let the mushrooms sit for another 12h-24h.

there are alot of variables in drying, relative humidity in the room being one, the time in a with a dissicant can vary as much as that under the fan, you wnat them to be pretty damn dry before they go into the tub... a cloth sack of some sort would be better than a plastic bag, I prefer the cal. chloride to be in the bottom with a screen over top and the mushrooms on the screen, it gives me more surface area and better/faster drying...

I wasnt trying to pick apart your tek, just pointng out where potential problems may occur... I hope this helped

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Chloride, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation