Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
Brazilian ginseng?
    #2360865 - 02/20/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

anyone ever try or have good info on this plant. all i know is it used for alot of ailments and has another name of "pora todo" for everthing

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Brazilian ginseng? [Re: the man]
    #2361051 - 02/20/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

that makes me a little skeptic, 'para todo' means for everything in spanish, but i'll look for info on it...

FH

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2361337 - 02/20/04 11:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ginseng is the same world wide. experts say the potency doesent vary greatly in the root specimens from around the world. so when u pay more for siberian ginseng, rather then ginseng grown else where, you basicly are being taken for. thats not to say some companies dont market a higher quality vitamin made with better fill ingredients, processing methods, ect, but as far as the effect of the ginseng, any kind will do. experts say it stimulates the cirulatory system, and people have been using it for ages as an all around feel better herb. people of today dont understand that herbs ddont have super healing powers that will make you well instantly. the peoples of WAY back when dident have skilled doctors and health experts to cure them of thier common illnesses, so they used herbs, which effects are more subtle, but deffinatly feel-able. the way I see it, herbs will slowly decline and fall into history because of the rate of modern medicine, but for those skilled in knowledge of herbs, a great spectrum of remedies and tincures are available to help make the body stonger, the natural way.

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Re: Brazilian ginseng? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2362365 - 02/21/04 03:20 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well. brazillian ginseng is not a ginseng. it is refered to ginseng because of how it looks and similiar propertys. but is not a adaptogen like ginseng is. name is suma i belive aswell

interesting theory. but one thing to relize is that teh majority of our drugs today are derived from plants.they perhap where tinkered around with but still have plant precursers.
And plants will always be apart of my life and others im sure.

ah here is a link with a bit of info anyway. http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNotes/Herb/Suma.htm#Botany

peace

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2362836 - 02/21/04 09:02 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well....
siberian ginseng is not a member of genus Panax, but of genus Eleutherococcus (sp?); they are both in the Aralia family (as is sarsaparilla (genus Smilax), i think)... the siberian has some similar chemicals in it, but tends to be less "stimulating"...
the ayurvedic herb ashvaganda is sometimes called indian ginseng...
the genus name "Panax" is related to the word "panacea" which means "cure-all"...
many herbs which are tonic & adaptogenic are often touted as being "like ginseng"...
ymmv...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinenecronomicon
journeyman

#2362911 - 02/21/04 10:06 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you dont pay extra for siberian ginseng cause its from siberia, it has drastically different chemicals, which are active in the micrograms as opposed to panax ginsengs chemicals which you need mg's of.

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Re: Brazilian ginseng? [Re: necronomicon]
    #2363814 - 02/21/04 02:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

suma is not related to either american or asian ginseng. i just want to know if anyone has tried it. also it was claimed to be adaptogenic, but actually is not.

--------------------

Invisibleshriek

#2363861 - 02/21/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i havent tried it but ive heard about it, it contains pfaffic acid and pfaffocides and is a known medicine plant its found usefull for lowering your cholesterol . helps with blood circulation problems and also found very intresting in a search for cancer medicine since it inhibit tumor cell growth and helps the immune system.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden