Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

Ralph Nader
    #2360399 - 02/20/04 05:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Why should'nt Nader run if one third of americans say they are independants?

Quote:

From CNN's Wolf Blitzer in Washington:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Democrats are nervously awaiting word from Ralph Nader, who now says he will announce on Sunday whether he will run as an Independent third-party candidate for president.

"We can't afford to have Ralph Nader in the race. This is about the future of the country," says Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe.

For the Democrats, the stakes couldn't be higher.

Despite Nader's oft-stated denials, by almost all other accounts, Al Gore would likely be President of the United States right now -- if it weren't for Nader.

Take a look at the math.

Overall, he captured about 3 percent of the popular vote, but you have to look closer to fully appreciate what happened.

In Florida alone, which Bush won by a mere 537 votes, Nader captured nearly 100,000 votes -- most of them from people generally seen as much more likely to have voted for a Democrat had he not run.

In New Hampshire, which Bush won by over 7,000 votes, Nader captured some 22,000 votes.

Had either of those states gone to Gore, the former vice president could be president right now.

"Well, I have talked to Ralph Nader several times myself. I went to lunch with Ralph Nader, spent several hours with Ralph Nader. I wanted to convey to Ralph Nader that, you know, George Bush has been disastrous on the issues that mean so much to him. And if he were to get in the race again, he could pull votes away from the Democratic nominee. And I don't want Ralph Nader's legacy that he got George Bush for eight years in this country," says McAuliffe.

Four years ago, Nader ran as the Green Party candidate. He says he won't do so this time because that party won't nominate a candidate until June, and he says that's too late in the process to be effective.

Nader told CNN, "If I do run, it will be as an independent. One out of every three Americans calls themselves independent. We want to give them the kind of candidacy, if I announce it, that will resonate there."

--------------------

http://www.sacredshrooms.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Ralph Nader [Re: mabus]
    #2360408 - 02/20/04 05:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

if the dems are worried about losing votes to the green party, they should change their platform a little so as to attract more green voters, but not lose votes to the republicans. that's what they would do if they weren't a bunch of whiners. instead, they say this:

"We can't afford to have Ralph Nader in the race. This is about the future of the country"

:tongue:

i don't hear the republicans whining about the libertarian party, even though the libertarians attract far more votes than the greens.

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Ralph Nader [Re: ]
    #2360430 - 02/20/04 05:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i think if the media gives nader as much media coverage as bush and kerry will get then he would actually have a good shot of winning.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2360443 - 02/20/04 05:21 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

i don't hear the republicans whining about the libertarian party, even though the libertarians attract far more votes than the greens.

Good point, I never really noticed that but you're right.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Ralph Nader [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2360449 - 02/20/04 05:22 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

i think if the media gives nader as much media coverage as bush and kerry will get then he would actually have a good shot of winning.

I think Ralph would need a lot more than media coverage to win the election. He's kind of the Al Shrpton of the elections. Some people like him, most people hate him.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

Re: Ralph Nader [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2360455 - 02/20/04 05:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

not only that but he's not running.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2360457 - 02/20/04 05:26 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i tried to post this topic earlier..unsuccessfully...

unfortunately..terry mcauliffe is telling the truth..and im beginning to wonder if nader is really working for bush...the bottom line is that if you dont want bush to be re-elected (american prospect)..then dont petition to have nader on your state ballot...the democratic candidates have many faults to be sure..but bush is hardly the lesser evil...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2360458 - 02/20/04 05:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

who? Nader?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Anonymous

#2360460 - 02/20/04 05:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

nope, he's not running. at least not at the moment. there are a few other possible green party candidates, but right now, it's not looking like it's gonna be nader.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2360467 - 02/20/04 05:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not a green supporter by any stretch but he's the only one who has any chance to make any sort of impact. I don't like him but I would love to see this turn into a 3 or 4 man race, but alas, it won't.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

#2360491 - 02/20/04 05:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Nader is going to say if he will run or not on Sunday. I think he is going to run because this is exactly the climate a 3rd party needs in order to win.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2360496 - 02/20/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yep. the libertarians unfortunately don't do very well in the presidential election.

i found this:

2000 Presidential Election: Popular Vote

haha. some guy from the prohibition party got 208 votes.

Invisiblemabus
anguish this!

Re: Ralph Nader [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2360499 - 02/20/04 05:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

unfortunately..terry mcauliffe is telling the truth..

What did mcauliffe say?

--------------------

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #2360500 - 02/20/04 05:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

according to the article above he says if he runs he'll be running as a independant.

invertigo: i think most people don't like him because they know nothing about him except that he is a environmentalist. That alone almost seems to have a negative connotation to it. Some of his policies are actually really good and i think if people were exsposed to them people would start to like him.

On top of that i think he'd destroy bush in a presidential debate. He's super intelligent and he speaks about things openly and directly as opposed to dodging questions by giving answers that don't answer anything. I think one of the reasons the country is so evenly politically divided is because democrats and republicans both give half assed evasive answers that are over all worthless. It's the whole lesser of two evils thing..If people were actually exsposed to a canidate who answered questions straight up and explained his policies more efficiently then i think he'd be super succesful because that's exactly what people are looking for nowadays.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2360504 - 02/20/04 05:43 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I hope he does run so I can analize Anna's assumption that Nader is actually a Bush puppet. That would be an interesting discussion.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2360511 - 02/20/04 05:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I think "independent" in this case basically means "swing voter." Sometimes they vote for a Democrat, sometimes for a Republican, depending on the candidate. I seriously doubt that 1/3 of all Americans would vote for a third-party candidate.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2360513 - 02/20/04 05:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It would be nice if they could somehow have an election where like the top 5 (or whatever number is agreed on) is included in the debates. I find it unfair that we only can choose from 2 people. Chances are the libbies and Republicrates would still win but it would get different messages out there. In the very least it would make the debates a little more interesting.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2360530 - 02/20/04 05:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mabus said:

Because this election is about one thing, whiny liberals getting rid of George Bush.  I'm all for Nader running, so that hte liberals will have one more excuse for why Bush won :smile:
Quote:

"We can't afford to have Ralph Nader in the race. This is about the future of the country," says Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe.

Tell me about it! All these people trying to vie for political office, what do they think this is, America or something? Pfft!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Ralph Nader [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2360550 - 02/20/04 05:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think they forget that Nader is an American.

I'd rather have him win than anyone in the libbie party.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Ralph Nader [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2360587 - 02/20/04 06:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

i think if people were exsposed to them people would start to like him.

You may be right, i'm a little jaded, politically, so i'd be willing to listen to him. But what I do know about him, I cringe, maybe i'm wrong.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom